Very long backup / restore times. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Very long backup / restore times. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am trying to investigate why our backup system has suddenly started taking excessivly long to backup and restore from our netware servers. Our current setup is : Backup server : P3 1GHz with 512M of memory, running Netware ...

  1. Very long backup / restore times.

    Hi,

    I am trying to investigate why our backup system has suddenly started taking
    excessivly long to backup and restore from our netware servers. Our current
    setup is :

    Backup server : P3 1GHz with 512M of memory, running Netware 5.1 SP8.

    Clients are a mix of Netware 6.5 SP4 and Netware 5.1 SP8, we also backup a
    single NT server, which will soon be upgraded to a Windows 2003.

    All the clients and servers are connected together on 100mbps ethernet. A
    full backup of the three netware servers would be approx 20-25GB each.

    We are running Backup Exec version 9.0 rev 4202.

    We run a full backup once a week, and incremental for the other 6 days, the
    full backup used to take about 8-10 hours, but is now taking nearer to 20
    hours. When the backup is running the backup server utilization jumps up
    from around 1% to about 93%. The utilization of the servers being backed up
    changes by perhaps 1%.

    After a reboot of the backup server any operations run at a reasonable speed
    for about a day and then begin to crawl again. Looking at the backup log for
    last night's incremental which was still going until after mid day today,
    one of the volumes was getting a speed of 13K/s which is a little slow

    Does anyone know what the problem may be here we are planning on upgrading
    the backup server in the near future, is this likley to help with this
    problem. We will also be upgrading this to Netware 6.5 as we have a site
    license for this, which may also improve the situation.

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  2. Re: Very long backup / restore times.

    Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to investigate why our backup system has suddenly started
    > taking excessivly long to backup and restore from our netware
    > servers. Our current setup is :
    >
    > Backup server : P3 1GHz with 512M of memory, running Netware 5.1 SP8.
    >
    > Clients are a mix of Netware 6.5 SP4 and Netware 5.1 SP8, we also
    > backup a single NT server, which will soon be upgraded to a Windows
    > 2003.
    >
    > All the clients and servers are connected together on 100mbps
    > ethernet. A full backup of the three netware servers would be approx
    > 20-25GB each.
    >
    > We are running Backup Exec version 9.0 rev 4202.
    >
    > We run a full backup once a week, and incremental for the other 6
    > days, the full backup used to take about 8-10 hours, but is now
    > taking nearer to 20 hours. When the backup is running the backup
    > server utilization jumps up from around 1% to about 93%. The
    > utilization of the servers being backed up changes by perhaps 1%.
    >
    > After a reboot of the backup server any operations run at a
    > reasonable speed for about a day and then begin to crawl again.
    > Looking at the backup log for last night's incremental which was
    > still going until after mid day today, one of the volumes was getting
    > a speed of 13K/s which is a little slow
    >
    > Does anyone know what the problem may be here we are planning on
    > upgrading the backup server in the near future, is this likley to
    > help with this problem. We will also be upgrading this to Netware 6.5
    > as we have a site license for this, which may also improve the
    > situation.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Phill.

    Sounds like you could have a memory leak. SEG.NLM might help trace the
    problem:

    http://support.novell.com/docs/Tids/.../10100888.html

    TSATEST is also good for giving you an idea of the maximum throughput
    you can get from each server/volume:

    http://support.novell.com/docs/Tids/.../10092890.html

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread