Correct rights for BkupExec directory - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Correct rights for BkupExec directory - Veritas Backup Exec ; Can someone please verify what the rights for the BkupExec directory should be? Mine show [ROOT] RWCF and I suspect this may not be correct as a user has dumped something in this directory. Thanks, Tim...

  1. Correct rights for BkupExec directory

    Can someone please verify what the rights for the BkupExec directory should
    be?

    Mine show [ROOT] RWCF and I suspect this may not be correct as a user has
    dumped something in this directory.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: Correct rights for BkupExec directory

    Tim wrote:

    > Can someone please verify what the rights for the BkupExec directory
    > should be?
    >
    > Mine show [ROOT] RWCF and I suspect this may not be correct as a user
    > has dumped something in this directory.

    Just checked my server and the rights are the same as yours..

  3. Re: Correct rights for BkupExec directory

    This is correct.
    Root has RWCF rights here too.

    "Tim" wrote:

    >Can someone please verify what the rights for the BkupExec directory should
    >be?
    >
    >Mine show [ROOT] RWCF and I suspect this may not be correct as a user has
    >dumped something in this directory.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Tim

  4. Re: Correct rights for BkupExec directory

    Tim wrote:
    > Can someone please verify what the rights for the BkupExec directory should
    > be?
    >
    > Mine show [ROOT] RWCF and I suspect this may not be correct as a user has
    > dumped something in this directory.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    I opened an incident with Veritas three years ago (see further down this
    newsgroup) and got an answer from Veritas:

    When the BESTART.NCF batch file is run with its default settings full
    Read,Write, Create and File Scan rights to the sub-directories & files
    within the SYS:BKUPEXEC directory are given to the ROOT of the NDS Tree.

    This behavior is by design. However, in some cases such rights might not
    be desired by the Novell Administrator. The default rights setting is
    created so that all users can gain access to creating backup jobs,
    installing Windows Agents, and installing the Windows Clients. The default
    setup can be modified by adding a specific switch to the LOAD command
    within the BESTART.NCF file and modifying the initially created Rights.
    Below are the steps for changing the default permissions:
    1. Modify the rights to the SYS:BKUPEXEC directory as needed using
    NWADMIN32. You can
    remove the [Root] from the Trustees list
    2. Exit the Netware Admin console and execute Bestop on the Netware console
    3. Using Netware editor edit SYS:\SYSTEM\BESTART.NCF and add -ut switch at
    the end of the third line. Please refer the attached Bestart.ncf ( make
    sure you add only -ut switch )
    4. Save the contents and run Bestart

    --
    Marcel de Roode