Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is this supported by Backup Exec or not? Netware version at the time of backup with Arcserve would have been 5.1 with possibly SP2. Symantec support says that only Arcserve versions 4, 5 & 6 are supported, not 7, 9 ...

  1. Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Is this supported by Backup Exec or not? Netware version at the time of backup
    with Arcserve would have been 5.1 with possibly SP2.

    Symantec support says that only Arcserve versions 4, 5 & 6 are supported,
    not 7, 9 or 11.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Hello Tim,

    I can only confirm you that ARCserve7 data can be restored with BackupExec
    v9.2.1401.3 if you read a couple of posts before.
    Don't know what happens with BackupExec v9.1 and latest build.

    The overall question is:
    What NetWare version is running on the current restore-server. If it is
    NetWare 6.5 as in my situation, please use TSA600.NLM from NetWare 6.0
    current ServicePack and don't load TSAFS.NLM before you start BackupExec
    v9.1. We also have BackupExec v9.1 latest build running on NetWare 6.5 which
    works fine, but to restore data from a NetWare 5.1 server, you need the
    other TSA600.NLM instead of the TSAFS.NLM, otherwise you get the error
    message:

    Insufficient privilege ... and files are not restored, just directories!

    Best regards,
    Hammelbeine

    "Tim" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Is this supported by Backup Exec or not? Netware version at the time of
    > backup
    > with Arcserve would have been 5.1 with possibly SP2.
    >
    > Symantec support says that only Arcserve versions 4, 5 & 6 are supported,
    > not 7, 9 or 11.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

  3. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

  4. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Hi Chris,

    has this support-document been created due to the case we discussed?
    If yes, very nice to see this published officially.

    Best regards,
    Hammelbeine

    "Chris" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > For more information:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/284634

  5. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Hammelbeine wrote:

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > has this support-document been created due to the case we discussed?

    Yes.

    > If yes, very nice to see this published officially.

    No problem :-)

  6. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Thanks for the response guys.

    Backup Exec is currently installed on Netware 5.1 SP7. I was able to catalog
    the tape okay. I can then submit a restore job, which runs okay for awhile
    and then slows to a crawl. It appears to get hung and the tape drive just
    continues to spin forwards and backwards until I cancel the job.
    I have been restoring to a different server (5.1 sp7) than the original server.
    It does appear to restore some files to this server before hanging. But
    now if I reboot this server, it has to run a Vrepair before it will mount
    the traditional volume.

    Any additional thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Tim

    "Hammelbeine" wrote:
    >Hello Tim,
    >
    >I can only confirm you that ARCserve7 data can be restored with BackupExec

    >v9.2.1401.3 if you read a couple of posts before.
    >Don't know what happens with BackupExec v9.1 and latest build.
    >
    >The overall question is:
    >What NetWare version is running on the current restore-server. If it is

    >NetWare 6.5 as in my situation, please use TSA600.NLM from NetWare 6.0
    >current ServicePack and don't load TSAFS.NLM before you start BackupExec

    >v9.1. We also have BackupExec v9.1 latest build running on NetWare 6.5 which

    >works fine, but to restore data from a NetWare 5.1 server, you need the

    >other TSA600.NLM instead of the TSAFS.NLM, otherwise you get the error
    >message:
    >
    >Insufficient privilege ... and files are not restored, just directories!
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Hammelbeine
    >

    >"Tim" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> Is this supported by Backup Exec or not? Netware version at the time

    of
    >> backup
    >> with Arcserve would have been 5.1 with possibly SP2.
    >>
    >> Symantec support says that only Arcserve versions 4, 5 & 6 are supported,
    >> not 7, 9 or 11.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tim

  7. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Tim wrote:

    > Thanks for the response guys.
    >
    > Backup Exec is currently installed on Netware 5.1 SP7. I was able to
    > catalog the tape okay. I can then submit a restore job, which runs
    > okay for awhile and then slows to a crawl. It appears to get hung
    > and the tape drive just continues to spin forwards and backwards
    > until I cancel the job. I have been restoring to a different server
    > (5.1 sp7) than the original server. It does appear to restore some
    > files to this server before hanging. But now if I reboot this
    > server, it has to run a Vrepair before it will mount the traditional
    > volume.
    >
    > Any additional thoughts?

    OK, so the backup was of a traditional volume as well? If it was from
    an NSS volume, you must restore back to an NSS volume. Also, is/was
    compression enabled on both volumes? Basically, the source and target
    volumes must be the same (i.e. NSS with compression for example).

    You could try this:

    1. BESTOP
    2. BESTART -ZL (this loads Backup Exec into debug mode)
    3. When the restore hangs, take a copy of :\bkupexec\log\ndmpd.log
    and post it here

    Chris

  8. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Thanks for your help Chris.

    At this point I have managed to get the data restored via another installation
    of Arcserve. So I will probably stop pursuing this.

    However, yes, both were traditional volumes and compression enabled.

    If I have heard what you are saying correctly - yes, one should be able to
    restore Arcserve 9x or 11x with BackupExec 9x IF the orginal server and the
    "destination" server are configured the same - correct?

    I suppose the reason that Symantec support says they do not support restoring
    versions 7, 9 or 11 with BackupExec is because it is just too much hassle
    for them to make sure that the end user has their environment setup as required
    to make it work?

    It's just frustrating to me to call in to support and get different answers
    each time I call in.

    Thanks for letting me vent and for your guidance,
    Tim

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Tim wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for the response guys.
    >>
    >> Backup Exec is currently installed on Netware 5.1 SP7. I was able to
    >> catalog the tape okay. I can then submit a restore job, which runs
    >> okay for awhile and then slows to a crawl. It appears to get hung
    >> and the tape drive just continues to spin forwards and backwards
    >> until I cancel the job. I have been restoring to a different server
    >> (5.1 sp7) than the original server. It does appear to restore some
    >> files to this server before hanging. But now if I reboot this
    >> server, it has to run a Vrepair before it will mount the traditional
    >> volume.
    >>
    >> Any additional thoughts?

    >OK, so the backup was of a traditional volume as well? If it was from
    >an NSS volume, you must restore back to an NSS volume. Also, is/was
    >compression enabled on both volumes? Basically, the source and target
    >volumes must be the same (i.e. NSS with compression for example).
    >
    >You could try this:
    >
    >1. BESTOP
    >2. BESTART -ZL (this loads Backup Exec into debug mode)
    >3. When the restore hangs, take a copy of :\bkupexec\log\ndmpd.log
    >and post it here
    >
    >Chris

  9. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Yes, I MUST confirm that at least restoring data written with ARCserve7 can
    be successfully restored with BackupExec v9.2
    I am currently restoring data from ARCserve 6.1 with BackupExec v9.2 and it
    seems to work as well

    Both restores are done with TSA600.NLM instead of TSAFS.NLM thanks to
    debugging and Chris proposals!

    Only thing I can't seem to restore is data written with ARCserve 4.02N with
    BackupExec v9.2 as the data was written on DDS-media but I will make a last
    attempt and if it doesn't work, I will stick to a NetWare 3.12 server with
    ARCserve 4.02N or ARCserve 6.6 IT!!!

    Will post the result, as soon as I have them.

    > Tim wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for your help Chris.
    >>
    >> At this point I have managed to get the data restored via another
    >> installation of Arcserve. So I will probably stop pursuing this.
    >>
    >> However, yes, both were traditional volumes and compression enabled.
    >>
    >> If I have heard what you are saying correctly - yes, one should be
    >> able to restore Arcserve 9x or 11x with BackupExec 9x IF the orginal
    >> server and the "destination" server are configured the same - correct?
    >>
    >> I suppose the reason that Symantec support says they do not support
    >> restoring versions 7, 9 or 11 with BackupExec is because it is just
    >> too much hassle for them to make sure that the end user has their
    >> environment setup as required to make it work?
    >>
    >> It's just frustrating to me to call in to support and get different
    >> answers each time I call in.
    >>
    >> Thanks for letting me vent and for your guidance,
    >> Tim

    > Well, the official line (as per the admin guide) is that only ARCserve
    > 4.x, 5.x and 6.x can be restored. However, under certain circumstances
    > other versions have been known to be restorable (my friend
    > 'Hammelbeine' can testify to this).
    >
    > It's possible that this was the cause:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/244059
    >
    > Chris

  10. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    I can also successfully confirm that ARCserve 6.1 written data from a
    NetWare 4.11 server with ServicePack 6 can be restored on a NetWare 6.5
    ServicePack5 server with BackupExec v9.2.1401.3 !!! Yeah.

    I'll be back, as soon as I have the latest results from ARCserve 4.02N
    written DDS-media under NetWare 3.12 and the catalog or restore results
    under BackupExec v9.2.1401.3 !

    Best regards,
    Hammelbeine

    "Hammelbeine" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Yes, I MUST confirm that at least restoring data written with ARCserve7
    > can be successfully restored with BackupExec v9.2
    > I am currently restoring data from ARCserve 6.1 with BackupExec v9.2 and
    > it seems to work as well
    >
    > Both restores are done with TSA600.NLM instead of TSAFS.NLM thanks to
    > debugging and Chris proposals!
    >
    > Only thing I can't seem to restore is data written with ARCserve 4.02N
    > with BackupExec v9.2 as the data was written on DDS-media but I will make
    > a last attempt and if it doesn't work, I will stick to a NetWare 3.12
    > server with ARCserve 4.02N or ARCserve 6.6 IT!!!
    >
    > Will post the result, as soon as I have them.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Hammelbeine
    >

    > "Chris" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Tim wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thanks for your help Chris.
    >>>
    >>> At this point I have managed to get the data restored via another
    >>> installation of Arcserve. So I will probably stop pursuing this.
    >>>
    >>> However, yes, both were traditional volumes and compression enabled.
    >>>
    >>> If I have heard what you are saying correctly - yes, one should be
    >>> able to restore Arcserve 9x or 11x with BackupExec 9x IF the orginal
    >>> server and the "destination" server are configured the same - correct?
    >>>
    >>> I suppose the reason that Symantec support says they do not support
    >>> restoring versions 7, 9 or 11 with BackupExec is because it is just
    >>> too much hassle for them to make sure that the end user has their
    >>> environment setup as required to make it work?
    >>>
    >>> It's just frustrating to me to call in to support and get different
    >>> answers each time I call in.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for letting me vent and for your guidance,
    >>> Tim

    >> Well, the official line (as per the admin guide) is that only ARCserve
    >> 4.x, 5.x and 6.x can be restored. However, under certain circumstances
    >> other versions have been known to be restorable (my friend
    >> 'Hammelbeine' can testify to this).
    >>
    >> It's possible that this was the cause:
    >>
    >> http://support.veritas.com/docs/244059
    >>
    >> Chris

  11. Re: Restore Arcserve 9x via Bkup Exec 9.10.1158?

    Tim wrote:

    > Thanks for your help Chris.
    >
    > At this point I have managed to get the data restored via another
    > installation of Arcserve. So I will probably stop pursuing this.
    >
    > However, yes, both were traditional volumes and compression enabled.
    >
    > If I have heard what you are saying correctly - yes, one should be
    > able to restore Arcserve 9x or 11x with BackupExec 9x IF the orginal
    > server and the "destination" server are configured the same - correct?
    >
    > I suppose the reason that Symantec support says they do not support
    > restoring versions 7, 9 or 11 with BackupExec is because it is just
    > too much hassle for them to make sure that the end user has their
    > environment setup as required to make it work?
    >
    > It's just frustrating to me to call in to support and get different
    > answers each time I call in.
    >
    > Thanks for letting me vent and for your guidance,
    > Tim

    Well, the official line (as per the admin guide) is that only ARCserve
    4.x, 5.x and 6.x can be restored. However, under certain circumstances
    other versions have been known to be restorable (my friend
    'Hammelbeine' can testify to this).

    It's possible that this was the cause:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/244059

    Chris