Current set was not found 24648 error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Current set was not found 24648 error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I want Backup Exec to finish with a Normal status more than it is. I am currently getting a "The current set was not found after media positioning (24648) error. Using BE 9.2 on Netware 6.5 with an Exabyte VXA-2 ...

  1. Current set was not found 24648 error

    I want Backup Exec to finish with a Normal status more than it is.

    I am currently getting a "The current set was not found after media positioning
    (24648) error. Using BE 9.2 on Netware 6.5 with an Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u
    autoloader which houses 10 tapes. This customer originally had Backup Exec
    8.5 and so this is an upgrade and I'm not sure if remnants of 8.5 might be
    part of our problems.

    I had been getting "Error writing to the catalog file on SYS" errors, and
    on an earlier occasion, after cleaning out files in \Bkupexec\Catalogs, I
    was able to get Normal status' briefly. After getting the error again, I
    cleaned out the Catalogs again (they are backed up if needed).

    However, I am fine with a nuke it from space option.

    I can erase all the tapes, delete all the media sets, delete data directories-
    - there is nothing we need to save!

    At one point I even renamed the \Bkupexec directory and reinstalled it from
    scratch but for some reason it won't see the drive (I think I remember editing
    BESRVR.CFG or BESTART.NCF with a switch that Exabyte said was needed - -
    if we should revert to a clean install, what files would I copy from the
    original dir to ensure it saw the drive?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Current set was not found 24648 error

    I assume that you are seeing this error on your restore jobs? If so,
    try the following:

    1. BESTOP
    2. Rename :\bkupexec\catalogs to catalogs.old
    3. BESTART
    4. Insert the tape that you want to restore from and then inventory the
    drive
    5. Run a long catalog on this media:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/246845

    Now try and restore. Also, if you have any anti-virus software running
    on your media server - make sure that the bkupexec folder is excluded
    from being scanned. Anti-virus software can cause corruption in the BE
    catalogs, databases etc.

    Chris

  3. Re: Current set was not found 24648 error

    "Chris" wrote:
    >I assume that you are seeing this error on your restore jobs?

    No, it's happening on our backup jobs.

  4. Re: Current set was not found 24648 error

    OK, try the following then:

    1. BESTOP
    2. Rename :\bkupexec\mm to mm.old
    3. BESTART

    Be aware of what this does though:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/251886

  5. Re: Current set was not found 24648 error

    Thanks. Today's error was the original error writing to catalog file on SYS.
    Should the MM rename take care of this too or do I need to do something in
    the Catalog directory too? I'm deleting all tapes anyway so I'm not worried
    about any consequences or setting things up again.

  6. Re: Current set was not found 24648 error

    Rob wrote:

    > Thanks. Today's error was the original error writing to catalog file
    > on SYS. Should the MM rename take care of this too or do I need to
    > do something in the Catalog directory too? I'm deleting all tapes
    > anyway so I'm not worried about any consequences or setting things up
    > again.

    The rename of the MM folder may help with this. I've not seen or heard
    of this error before to be honest. How much free space do you have on
    the SYS volume? Perhaps it needs a purge?

    You might want to consider moving the catalogs to another volume:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/189838

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread