BE 9.0 couple of questions. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.0 couple of questions. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, We have Backup exec for Netware V9.0, 4019, with both Netware and Windows clients, and have a couple of questions about this setup. 1) Is there a native windows application to use as the console rather than the java ...

  1. BE 9.0 couple of questions.

    Hi,

    We have Backup exec for Netware V9.0, 4019, with both Netware and Windows
    clients, and have a couple of questions about this setup.

    1) Is there a native windows application to use as the console rather than
    the java version which does not seem to like Windows 2003. I did try
    installing the one from the Windows product, but, this would not talk to the
    netware media server

    2) Our netware servers are currently running Netware 5.1, we will shortly be
    upgrading to 6.5, via the novell migration wizard, can we copy accross the
    current client setup, or will I need to re-install once we have migrated to
    the new server ?

    3) I notice that our BE clinets are listed as "NW Agent (Site Licesnse)",
    does this mean that I can (legally) install the agent on all of our servers
    ? Likewise for the Windows agent ?

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  2. Re: BE 9.0 couple of questions.

    1) No, but there is the BE Admin Console that runs on the NetWare
    server. It's better than the version of the java console you have
    there. On that note, you should consider updating your BE to the
    latest 9.1 build, 1158.9, which you can get here:

    2) Yes, your BE installation will migrate to NW6.5 provided you are
    using Novell's Migration Wizard and aren't changing server name and/or
    IP address.

    3) Don't know for sure. Hate to tell you yes and be wrong!

    -Barry.

  3. Re: BE 9.0 couple of questions.

    Barry St.John wrote in

    > 1) No, but there is the BE Admin Console that runs on the NetWare
    > server. It's better than the version of the java console you have
    > there.

    Presumably that's under the X console, we have the text mode version running
    already ?

    > On that note, you should consider updating your BE to the
    > latest 9.1 build, 1158.9, which you can get here:
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282294.htm

    I have been lead to believe though that 9.0 -> 9.1 was not a free upgrade,
    will our current serial numbers continue to work or do we have to pay for
    this ?

    > 2) Yes, your BE installation will migrate to NW6.5 provided you are
    > using Novell's Migration Wizard and aren't changing server name and/or
    > IP address.

    Thats's good, server name and IP of the destination server should be the
    same.

    > 3) Don't know for sure. Hate to tell you yes and be wrong!

    Ok, that's fair enough

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  4. Re: BE 9.0 couple of questions.

    Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

    > Barry St.John wrote in
    >
    > > 1) No, but there is the BE Admin Console that runs on the NetWare
    > > server. It's better than the version of the java console you have
    > > there.

    > Presumably that's under the X console, we have the text mode version
    > running already ?

    Yes, there are 2 server based admin console's. One is the text based
    version and the other is under the X console (Novell-->Programs-->BE
    Admin Console) - if you installed it that is.

    > > On that note, you should consider updating your BE to
    > > the latest 9.1 build, 1158.9, which you can get here:
    > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282294.htm

    > I have been lead to believe though that 9.0 -> 9.1 was not a free
    > upgrade, will our current serial numbers continue to work or do we
    > have to pay for this ?

    Correct, 9.0-->9.1 is a paid for upgrade so your existing serial
    numbers will not work. However, you are running an old build of 9.0 so
    you may want to consider updating this which is free:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/260999

    Hope that helps.

    Chris

  5. Re: BE 9.0 couple of questions.

    In article , Phill
    Harvey-Smith wrote:
    > Presumably that's under the X console, we have the text mode version running
    > already ?

    Yes, there's that, but I was referring to the text-based console. With BE9.1
    there are a few things that work better under the java-based console, but
    running on a workstation or a NetWare server under X is the same. IMO, the few
    benefits of the java console do not outweigh the problems. In 9.2, otoh, the
    java console is much improved. Still has a few quirks, but I wouldn't dissuade
    anyone from it.

    > I have been lead to believe though that 9.0 -> 9.1 was not a free upgrade...

    Sorry. I misread your first post. Thought you were running an older build of
    9.1 there. Don't know why though. The subject clearly says 9.0...

    >> I notice that our BE clinets are listed as "NW Agent (Site Licesnse)",
    >> does this mean that I can (legally) install the agent on all of our servers
    >> ? Likewise for the Windows agent ?

    I was looking at my licenses today and they say 'site license' on them, but they
    also list a quantity. I can install anywhere up to that quantity. I guess the
    advantage is I don't have to keep track of so many individual license numbers.
    So the way I read it, you cannot legally install as many as you want; only up to
    the quantity you've actually licensed (aka $helled out for).

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread