Remote agen - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote agen - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me out here. I'm trying to find the remote agent for Windows Servers but after going through Veritas' site I can only find the Netware remote agent. I've got the backup exec running ...

  1. Remote agen

    Hi everyone!

    I hope someone can help me out here.
    I'm trying to find the remote agent for Windows Servers but after going
    through Veritas' site I can only find the Netware remote agent.

    I've got the backup exec running on a netware server, and a external media
    server.

    This has worked before, but due to a virus problem I had to reinstall some
    of the windows server.

    Thanks

    Sjur

  2. Re: Remote agen

    Hi Chris!

    Thanks for you quick reply!

    I'm running Backup exec version 9.1 for Netware.
    I've allready got that on a cd, and I've tried to install it.
    I get so far to just entering the username and password when adding the
    server, and it tells me I'm applying invalid information.. Beats me.. I've
    even tried to add a new user.

    I must have missed something crucial.

    Sjur

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:03:14 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > Sjur,
    >
    > What version of Backup Exec for NetWare are you using? The remote agent
    > for windows is included in the following downloads:
    >
    > Backup Exec 9.1 for NetWare:
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/282299
    >
    > Backup Exec 9.2 for NetWare:
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/282293
    >
    > Run the install and select 'Remote Windows Server' to install the
    > windows agent.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Chris

  3. Re: Remote agen

    Hi again,

    I'm sorry for being such a noob.. but now I get "Unable to connect to the
    cluster node. Please verify that the node is online and the network is
    operating correctly...."

    I'm not running on domain, does this have something to do with the hosts
    file?

    Sjur

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:38:10 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > Have you tried running the install locally on the windows server itself?
    >
    > With regards to the username, you should be using either the local
    > admin account for the windows server or the domain admin that has local
    > admin rights.
    >
    > Chris

  4. Re: Remote agen

    Hi Chris,

    I get this error when running it locally on the Windows server.
    When I try to ping the backupserver from the windows machine I wont
    resolve the hostname if I try that, but I can ping it by using the ip.
    When I try from the backupserver it resolves the machine name and pings.

    We are'nt running cluster mode, so i don't understand why it asks for it.
    We're just running NDS, no domain servers or clusters as far as I know. Or
    does it refer to the nds as a cluster?

    Sjur

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:58:15 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > Where are you running the install from - the local windows server
    > itself or from a remote server/workstation? Yes, it could be a hosts
    > files problem. Basically, name resolution must be working in both
    > directions. You should ping by server name in BOTH directions to see if
    > name resolution is working.
    >
    > Also, the error that mentions a cluster node - is this a NetWare or
    > Windows cluster?

  5. Re: Remote agen

    Sjur,

    What version of Backup Exec for NetWare are you using? The remote agent
    for windows is included in the following downloads:

    Backup Exec 9.1 for NetWare:
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/282299

    Backup Exec 9.2 for NetWare:
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/282293

    Run the install and select 'Remote Windows Server' to install the
    windows agent.

    Hope that helps.

    Chris

  6. Re: Remote agen

    Have you tried running the install locally on the windows server itself?

    With regards to the username, you should be using either the local
    admin account for the windows server or the domain admin that has local
    admin rights.

    Chris

  7. Re: Remote agen

    Hi again,

    okay, the host file editing solved the installation problem.
    Heres the versions I'm running - From version.doc
    Media Server = 1158.4
    Ndmp Server = 1158.4
    Nlm Client = 1158.4
    Java Client = 1158.4
    Drivers = 0011N022

    Windows 9X agent = 5.030
    MAC OS X agent = 5.045
    UNIX agent = 5.046

    OFO NW option = 9.4.401k
    RAWS/OFO NT option = 4691R.42

    When I open the administration console (JAVA) it wont accept the username
    and password when I try to browse the remote servers.

    I've added the licenses on the server, from the local consle window.
    I can see that this is'nt the latest build, but this worked before.
    Strange.

    Sjur.

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:21:39 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > OK, first thing you need to do is to resolve the name resolution on
    > that server. All you need to do is add an entry for the media server
    > into the hosts file on the windows server.
    >
    > As for the error you get when you try to install - I suspect that the
    > CD you have has an old build of Backup Exec. If you look at
    > sys:\bkupexec\version.doc on your media server, what build does it show?
    >
    > I would recommend that you download and install the latest build:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/282299
    >
    > You will need to update your media server first and then push out the
    > new remote agents on your remote NetWare & Windows servers.
    >
    > Chris

  8. Re: Remote agen

    Where are you running the install from - the local windows server
    itself or from a remote server/workstation? Yes, it could be a hosts
    files problem. Basically, name resolution must be working in both
    directions. You should ping by server name in BOTH directions to see if
    name resolution is working.

    Also, the error that mentions a cluster node - is this a NetWare or
    Windows cluster?

  9. Re: Remote agen

    OK, first thing you need to do is to resolve the name resolution on
    that server. All you need to do is add an entry for the media server
    into the hosts file on the windows server.

    As for the error you get when you try to install - I suspect that the
    CD you have has an old build of Backup Exec. If you look at
    sys:\bkupexec\version.doc on your media server, what build does it show?

    I would recommend that you download and install the latest build:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/282299

    You will need to update your media server first and then push out the
    new remote agents on your remote NetWare & Windows servers.

    Chris

  10. Re: Remote agen

    Yep, trying to browse the windows servers from the administration console
    for Backup exec, but it asks me for the username and password. And it
    does'nt accept it, I'm using the local administrator account to logon.
    I've even tried to create a new administrator account. But still no luck..

    I cannot find the installation and maintenance in the java console.
    Is it a service on the Windows server that allows remote login? I've tried
    to disable the Antivirus as well.

    Sjur

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:20:15 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > OK, that build is fairly new so you *should* be ok with that.
    >
    > Which server(s) are you having problem connecting to? The windows
    > server? Again, you should be entering a username that has local admin
    > rights.
    >
    > You might need to delete the login account for that server by going to
    > 'Installation and Maintenance' --> 'Login Accounts' in the java admin
    > console.
    >
    > Chris

  11. Re: Remote agen

    OK, that build is fairly new so you *should* be ok with that.

    Which server(s) are you having problem connecting to? The windows
    server? Again, you should be entering a username that has local admin
    rights.

    You might need to delete the login account for that server by going to
    'Installation and Maintenance' --> 'Login Accounts' in the java admin
    console.

    Chris

  12. Re: Remote agen

    This is just strange..
    I tried to delete the accounts and rename the 2 files you told me to, but
    still no luck..

    Seems like theres something wrong with the setup in the windows server.
    Maybe it denies remote logon or something.. I'll try some more.

    Sjur

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:21:17 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > Sjur wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, trying to browse the windows servers from the administration
    >> console for Backup exec, but it asks me for the username and
    >> password. And it does'nt accept it, I'm using the local
    >> administrator account to logon. I've even tried to create a new
    >> administrator account. But still no luck..
    >>
    >> I cannot find the installation and maintenance in the java console.

    > It's on the left hand pane down the botton beneath Media, Reports etc.
    >
    > If that doesn't work you could try:
    >
    > 1. BESTOP
    > 2. Rename sys:\bkupexec\jobdata\userpass.dat to userpass.dat.old
    > 3. Rename sys:\bkupexec\jobdata\userpass.idx to userpass.idx.old
    > 4. BESTART
    >
    > Now try and browse the windows server.

  13. Re: Remote agen

    Sjur wrote:

    > Yep, trying to browse the windows servers from the administration
    > console for Backup exec, but it asks me for the username and
    > password. And it does'nt accept it, I'm using the local
    > administrator account to logon. I've even tried to create a new
    > administrator account. But still no luck..
    >
    > I cannot find the installation and maintenance in the java console.

    It's on the left hand pane down the botton beneath Media, Reports etc.

    If that doesn't work you could try:

    1. BESTOP
    2. Rename sys:\bkupexec\jobdata\userpass.dat to userpass.dat.old
    3. Rename sys:\bkupexec\jobdata\userpass.idx to userpass.idx.old
    4. BESTART

    Now try and browse the windows server.

  14. Re: Remote agen

    Have you tried making the selections using the server based admin
    console? This would at least rule out a possible problem with the java
    console.

    Also, do you have any vpn or firewall software running on the windows
    server? If so, try disabling this to see if it helps.

    Chris

  15. Re: Remote agen

    Hi Chris!

    Thanks for all your help!

    It turned out te be a virus on these servers that blocked the access.
    The virus had corrupted the Microsoft Share print and folders
    installation, so I had to reinstall that service.

    Sjur

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:20:03 +0200, Chris wrote:

    > Have you tried making the selections using the server based admin
    > console? This would at least rule out a possible problem with the java
    > console.
    >
    > Also, do you have any vpn or firewall software running on the windows
    > server? If so, try disabling this to see if it helps.
    >
    > Chris

  16. Re: Remote agen

    Hi Sjur,

    Thanks for the feedback, glad that it's working now :-)

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread