Restore problems - building media list - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restore problems - building media list - Veritas Backup Exec ; Netware 6.5 server BE 9.0 Whenever I try to do a restore, many times the "building media list" prompt will sit on the screen for hours before I see my media. Can someone tell me what causes this? The server ...

  1. Restore problems - building media list

    Netware 6.5 server
    BE 9.0

    Whenever I try to do a restore, many times the "building media list" prompt
    will sit on the screen for hours before I see my media. Can someone tell
    me what causes this? The server has 2 GB of RAM, plenty of space, and otherwise
    seems to run fine (no high utilization).

  2. Re: Restore problems - building media list

    Tom Miller wrote:

    > Netware 6.5 server
    > BE 9.0
    >
    > Whenever I try to do a restore, many times the "building media list"
    > prompt will sit on the screen for hours before I see my media. Can
    > someone tell me what causes this? The server has 2 GB of RAM, plenty
    > of space, and otherwise seems to run fine (no high utilization).

    Sounds like you may have some corruption in your catalogs. Do you have
    any anti-virus software running on this server? If so, make sure the
    :\bkupexec folder is excluded from being scanned.

    If this doesn't help, you may need to rename your catalogs folder by
    following these steps:

    1. BESTOP
    2. Rename :\bkupexec\catalogs to catalogs.old
    3. BESTART
    4. Catalog the media you want to restore from
    5. Run the restore

    What build of 9.0 are you running (check :\bkupexec\version.doc)?
    If the build is older than 4202 you should consider updating:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/260999

    Chris

  3. Re: Restore problems - building media list

    Like Chris says, or maybe you just have way too many catalog entries.
    Check under Options|Media Server|Catalog and make sure you are only
    saving enough catalogs to cover your retention period.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread