There is no available device - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on There is no available device - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backup Exec for Netware, version 9.2 revision 1401 on Netware 5.1 SP8 Out of the blue, this morning on both windows administration consoles i get the error: "There is no available device. Please ensure that devices are properly connected and ...

  1. There is no available device

    Backup Exec for Netware, version 9.2 revision 1401 on Netware 5.1 SP8

    Out of the blue, this morning on both windows administration consoles i
    get the error:

    "There is no available device. Please ensure that devices are properly
    connected and at least one device is enabled"

    when trying to edit a scheduled job.

    Jobs still run, i can also do a "Run job now" on a scheduled job, or
    toggle the job hold. However i cannot create new jobs or edit existing.

    We are using a Compaq TL891 DLX Minilibrary.

    Restarting workstation or Backupexec on the server doesn't help..
    What can we do about this?

    Marcel de Roode
    Erasmus University Rotterdam

  2. Re: There is no available device

    Have a look at your drives and partitions - are any of them listed as
    disabled? If so, re-enable them and try again..

  3. Re: There is no available device

    Chris wrote:
    > Have a look at your drives and partitions - are any of them listed as
    > disabled? If so, re-enable them and try again..

    Thanks for your quick response..

    I did check the drives, but not the partitions. The partitions were
    indeed marked as disabled.

    How could these partitions get disabled?

    Marcel de Roode
    Erasmus University Rotterdam

  4. Re: There is no available device

    Marcel de Roode wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    > > Have a look at your drives and partitions - are any of them listed
    > > as disabled? If so, re-enable them and try again..

    > Thanks for your quick response..
    >
    > I did check the drives, but not the partitions. The partitions were
    > indeed marked as disabled.
    >
    > How could these partitions get disabled?

    Impossible to say really. Have you tried re-enabling them?

  5. Re: There is no available device

    > How could these partitions get disabled?

    Not exactly the same environment as you, but I have 3 media servers in
    a shared storage installation. If I do some sort of maintenance on a
    library that involves shutting it down, and I neglect to first shut
    down all of the media servers, sometimes I get strange results like
    partitions being disabled. Maybe something like that happened with
    you?

    -Barry.

  6. Re: There is no available device

    Chris wrote:
    > Marcel de Roode wrote:
    >

    >> How could these partitions get disabled?

    > Impossible to say really. Have you tried re-enabling them?

    I have re-enabled them and all works fine now.

    Thans for the help

    Marcel de Roode
    Erasmus University Rotterdam

  7. Re: There is no available device

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >> How could these partitions get disabled?

    > Not exactly the same environment as you, but I have 3 media servers in
    > a shared storage installation. If I do some sort of maintenance on a
    > library that involves shutting it down, and I neglect to first shut
    > down all of the media servers, sometimes I get strange results like
    > partitions being disabled. Maybe something like that happened with
    > you?
    >
    > -Barry.

    That may indeed be the case..
    Few weeks ago some backup didn't run, i had no time to change tapes, so
    i just removed the tape cartridge (with 10 tapes) from the library to
    prevent them from being overwritten during the night. After reinserting
    the tapes all further backups went well, so i didn't check any further,
    until i found out that the partitions were disabled.

    Now another question: Why do scheduled backups still run when the
    partitions are disabled?

    Thans for the help so far..

    Marcel de Roode
    Erasmus University Rotterdam

  8. Re: There is no available device

    I guess the scheduler assumes that since the partition was available
    when the job was created that it will still be available when the job
    runs?

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread