BE 9.1, NW 6.5, file is corrupt on media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.1, NW 6.5, file is corrupt on media - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have recently upgraded five netware 6.5 servers tosp5 (with post sp.5 patches for server, NSS, NCP, and edir 8.7.3.8). Backup Exec seems to run fine since the upgrade with one issue. During the backup, on all five upgraded servers, ...

  1. BE 9.1, NW 6.5, file is corrupt on media

    We have recently upgraded five netware 6.5 servers tosp5 (with post sp.5 patches
    for server, NSS, NCP, and edir 8.7.3.8). Backup Exec seems to run fine since
    the upgrade with one issue.

    During the backup, on all five upgraded servers, we are recieving errors
    on the same files as follows:
    ##ERR##WARNING: File SYSTEM\cimom\var\owcimomd.log is corrupt on media.
    ##ERR##WARNING: File \ETC\nfs\XNFS.LOG is corrupt on media.
    ##ERR##WARNING: File \Apache2\logs\error_log is corrupt on media.

    We have upgraded backup exec to 9.10 revision 1158, but the problem persists.

    Any hints as to why this may be happening, and ideas on how to fix it?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Daryl

  2. Re: BE 9.1, NW 6.5, file is corrupt on media

    Daryl Tilley wrote:
    > We have recently upgraded five netware 6.5 servers tosp5 (with post sp.5 patches
    > for server, NSS, NCP, and edir 8.7.3.8). Backup Exec seems to run fine since
    > the upgrade with one issue.
    >
    > During the backup, on all five upgraded servers, we are recieving errors
    > on the same files as follows:
    > ##ERR##WARNING: File SYSTEM\cimom\var\owcimomd.log is corrupt on media.
    > ##ERR##WARNING: File \ETC\nfs\XNFS.LOG is corrupt on media.
    > ##ERR##WARNING: File \Apache2\logs\error_log is corrupt on media.
    >
    > We have upgraded backup exec to 9.10 revision 1158, but the problem persists.
    >
    > Any hints as to why this may be happening, and ideas on how to fix it?

    Can you read the files with edit.nlm?
    If they are not corrupt maybe they are kept open?
    If they are not kept open by an application, maybe they change during
    backup?
    If they are just log files you can exlude them from backup (edit
    sys:bkupexec\novell.nks)

    Marcel de Roode
    Erasmus University Rotterdam

  3. Re: BE 9.1, NW 6.5, file is corrupt on media

    Marcel,

    Can you read the files with edit.nlm?
    YES - although you get the warning that they are read-only.

    If they are not corrupt maybe they are kept open?
    YES - I apologize that I did not include this, but each of the below statements
    is proceeded by a "...was backed up while in use" line.

    If they are not kept open by an application, maybe they change during
    backup?
    POSSIBLY - they are open, but they could also be changing, but the odds that
    this set of files is changing on every server at the moment it is backed
    up on each is only good if the backup is what is driving the change.

    If they are just log files you can exlude them from backup (edit
    sys:bkupexec\novell.nks)
    THANKS - this is what I think I will do as they all are just log files.
    I am just a bit concerned as to what may have changed between NW 6.5 sp3
    and sp5 which might cause this issue with the backup.

    Thanks for your help.

    Daryl

    Marcel de Roode wrote:
    >Daryl Tilley wrote:
    >> We have recently upgraded five netware 6.5 servers tosp5 (with post sp.5

    patches
    >> for server, NSS, NCP, and edir 8.7.3.8). Backup Exec seems to run fine

    since
    >> the upgrade with one issue.
    >>
    >> During the backup, on all five upgraded servers, we are recieving errors
    >> on the same files as follows:
    >> ##ERR##WARNING: File SYSTEM\cimom\var\owcimomd.log is corrupt on media.
    >> ##ERR##WARNING: File \ETC\nfs\XNFS.LOG is corrupt on media.
    >> ##ERR##WARNING: File \Apache2\logs\error_log is corrupt on media.
    >>
    >> We have upgraded backup exec to 9.10 revision 1158, but the problem persists.
    >>
    >> Any hints as to why this may be happening, and ideas on how to fix it?

    >Can you read the files with edit.nlm?
    >If they are not corrupt maybe they are kept open?
    >If they are not kept open by an application, maybe they change during
    >backup?
    >If they are just log files you can exlude them from backup (edit
    >sys:bkupexec\novell.nks)
    >
    >Marcel de Roode
    >Erasmus University Rotterdam

+ Reply to Thread