Migration to new equipment - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Migration to new equipment - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am going to be replacing my servers and tape backup unit with new hardware soon. One of the servers being replaced is the Media sever, and the other server has the remote agent installed with OFO. I also have ...

  1. Migration to new equipment

    I am going to be replacing my servers and tape backup unit with new hardware
    soon. One of the servers being replaced is the Media sever, and the other
    server has the remote agent installed with OFO. I also have an extra license
    for the remote agent. What I would like to do is make the old media server a
    remote agent, and then use the media server license to temporarily create a
    media server, using one of the new servers and the new tape backup unit that
    would be created in a temporary tree. I could then use the temporary media
    server to backup the old media server prior to migration to my other new
    server. I have a few questions concerning this.

    1. Is this feasible?

    2. Do I need to uninstall Backup Exec from the old media server, before
    installing the remote agent on it, or can I just install the remote agent
    on top of the media server?

    3. If I do need to uninstall the Backup exec on the old media server, where
    can I find a procedure to do this?

    4. Is there a way to get the second remote server to recognize the temporary
    media server, without having to reinstall the remote agent?

    I am not worried about saving any information about current backup jobs that
    are being used, as long as I can create the new media server without any
    problems. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Migration to new equipment

    Mike Paschke wrote:

    > I am going to be replacing my servers and tape backup unit with new
    > hardware soon. One of the servers being replaced is the Media sever,
    > and the other server has the remote agent installed with OFO. I also
    > have an extra license for the remote agent. What I would like to do
    > is make the old media server a remote agent, and then use the media
    > server license to temporarily create a media server, using one of the
    > new servers and the new tape backup unit that would be created in a
    > temporary tree. I could then use the temporary media server to
    > backup the old media server prior to migration to my other new
    > server. I have a few questions concerning this.
    >
    > 1. Is this feasible?

    Yes.

    > 2. Do I need to uninstall Backup Exec from the old media server,
    > before installing the remote agent on it, or can I just install the
    > remote agent on top of the media server?

    You need to uninstall the existing media server copy of Backup Exec.

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/280726

    > 4. Is there a way to get the second remote server to recognize the
    > temporary media server, without having to reinstall the remote agent?

    As long as you have the remote agent installed and running, you just
    need to update sys:\bkupexec\ndmpsvrs.dat on the media server with an
    entry for this remote server.

  3. Re: Migration to new equipment

    On 23/06/2006 "Chris" wrote:
    >Mike Paschke wrote:
    >
    >> I am going to be replacing my servers and tape backup unit with new
    >> hardware soon. One of the servers being replaced is the Media sever,
    >> and the other server has the remote agent installed with OFO. I also
    >> have an extra license for the remote agent. What I would like to do
    >> is make the old media server a remote agent, and then use the media
    >> server license to temporarily create a media server, using one of the
    >> new servers and the new tape backup unit that would be created in a
    >> temporary tree. I could then use the temporary media server to
    >> backup the old media server prior to migration to my other new
    >> server. I have a few questions concerning this.
    >>
    >> 1. Is this feasible?

    >Yes.
    >
    >> 2. Do I need to uninstall Backup Exec from the old media server,
    >> before installing the remote agent on it, or can I just install the
    >> remote agent on top of the media server?

    >You need to uninstall the existing media server copy of Backup Exec.
    >
    >> 3. If I do need to uninstall the Backup exec on the old media
    >> server, where can I find a procedure to do this?

    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/280726
    >
    >> 4. Is there a way to get the second remote server to recognize the
    >> temporary media server, without having to reinstall the remote agent?

    >As long as you have the remote agent installed and running, you just
    >need to update sys:\bkupexec\ndmpsvrs.dat on the media server with an
    >entry for this remote server.

    Thanks for the information.

+ Reply to Thread