Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi Guys, Let's first start with the specs of the serversoftware... * Netware 6.5 OES with latest patches * Veritas Backup Exec 9.10 rev 1158 * Groupwise 6.5.4 Every weekday there is a backup of the server. Only the friday ...

  1. Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow

    Hi Guys,

    Let's first start with the specs of the serversoftware...
    * Netware 6.5 OES with latest patches
    * Veritas Backup Exec 9.10 rev 1158
    * Groupwise 6.5.4

    Every weekday there is a backup of the server. Only the friday jobs
    are extreme slow backing up the "Server Specific Info".
    It takes for aprox. 27 MB around 7 hours to finish the job, which is 1.x
    KB/s....
    All the other days there is not a problem with the backup of this item.

    All other items have a speed of 2.5 MB/s which is reasonable for this
    server.

    I hope someone recognise this problem and can point me out in the right
    direction to resolve this problem.

    Regards,
    MD

    P.S. Here is a piece of the log info....

    ##NML##Backup of CS-CORREOS.NetWare File System/CS-CORREOS/Server Specific
    Info:
    ##NML##Drive: "HA:1 ID:5 LUN:0 QUANTUM DLT8000"
    ##NML##
    ##NML## Total directories: 1
    ##NML## Total files: 0
    ##NML## Total bytes: 29,148,025 (27.7 Megabytes)
    ##NML## Total time: 06:47:11
    ##NML## Throughput: 1,193 bytes/second
    ##NML##
    ##NML##Backup set ended: 04/10/06 at 08:30:53a

  2. Re: Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow

    Hmm, never seen or heard of this type of problem before. You say that
    the backup of SSI on weekdays is ok - what type of backup is this
    (full, inc or diff)? I presume your Friday job is a full backup?

    It would help if you could post a copy of sys:\system\config.txt (type
    LOAD CONFIG /ALL at server console to create an up-to-date copy of this
    file). Please ensure that you remove all serial numbers, ip addresses
    and passwords before posting.

    One last question - when did this problem start? Did you install any
    patches that could have caused this?

    Chris

  3. Re: Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow

    I will start off with the TSA5UP19.
    Then I will try by using CRON to unload SWEEP.NLM and reloading it in the
    morning.

    So for now I finish this subject, save it and if it didn't work, I will
    repost is...

    Thanks for the help!,
    MD

    "Chris" schreef in bericht
    > Here's what I would suggest as a starting point:
    >
    > 1. Update your SMS modules by installing TSA5UP19
    > (http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...gi?2973487.htm).
    >
    > 2. Unload Sophos Anti-Virus (SWEEP.NLM) before your Friday backup
    > starts.

  4. Re: Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow

    Here's what I would suggest as a starting point:

    1. Update your SMS modules by installing TSA5UP19
    (http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...gi?2973487.htm).

    2. Unload Sophos Anti-Virus (SWEEP.NLM) before your Friday backup
    starts.

  5. Re: Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow

    Have a look at this Novell TID:http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?10062402.htm
    that talks about what SSI is. Consider whether it's that valuable to you.
    There has been a long-standing controversy over whether or not SSI is needed.
    The Veritas people periodically say you'd never need to restore it anyway.
    Maybe the shortest path to a fix is to remove it from your selection list.

    "Marc Dekker" wrote:
    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >Let's first start with the specs of the serversoftware...
    >* Netware 6.5 OES with latest patches
    >* Veritas Backup Exec 9.10 rev 1158
    >* Groupwise 6.5.4
    >
    >Every weekday there is a backup of the server. Only the friday jobs
    >are extreme slow backing up the "Server Specific Info".
    >It takes for aprox. 27 MB around 7 hours to finish the job, which is 1.x

    >KB/s....
    >All the other days there is not a problem with the backup of this item.
    >
    >All other items have a speed of 2.5 MB/s which is reasonable for this
    >server.
    >
    >I hope someone recognise this problem and can point me out in the right

    >direction to resolve this problem.
    >
    >Regards,
    >MD
    >
    >P.S. Here is a piece of the log info....
    >
    >##NML##Backup of CS-CORREOS.NetWare File System/CS-CORREOS/Server Specific

    >Info:
    >##NML##Drive: "HA:1 ID:5 LUN:0 QUANTUM DLT8000"
    >##NML##
    >##NML## Total directories: 1
    >##NML## Total files: 0
    >##NML## Total bytes: 29,148,025 (27.7 Megabytes)
    >##NML## Total time: 06:47:11
    >##NML## Throughput: 1,193 bytes/second
    >##NML##
    >##NML##Backup set ended: 04/10/06 at 08:30:53a

  6. Re: Backup of Server Specific Info (SSI) Netware 6.5 extreme slow

    Adding my 2Ē in addition to what Chris and Lane said...

    Make sure your Open File settings are correct in the policy for that
    job. If you are using OFM it should work just fine. But if not, make
    sure you don't have it set to backup with a lock, or that you don't
    have a timeout specified if backup when closed within x seconds.

    And sometimes the best way to fix a weird thing like this is to delete
    the job and create a new one. Especially when it's narrowed down to a
    specific job like this.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread