Backup with working set backs up all Linux files - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup with working set backs up all Linux files - Veritas Backup Exec ; Here is what I extracted from the manual but it does not jive. I have set the policy to 0 and 1 day but it backs up all the files. Any ideas? > Note Backup Exec performs working set operations ...

  1. Backup with working set backs up all Linux files

    Here is what I extracted from the manual but it does not jive. I have
    set the policy to 0 and 1 day but it backs up all the files.
    Any ideas?

    Note Backup Exec performs working set operations only on volumes that
    support last accessed date for files (such as NetWare volumes, OS/2 HPFS
    volumes, NTFS volumes, Mac OSX, and Unix NFS volumes).

    Working set. Backs up all selected files that were modified since the
    last full or incremental backup without changing the files’ archive
    bits. Also backs up those files that have been accessed within a number
    of days you specify in the Files accessed in [ ] days option.

    ◆ Access days. If working set or archive is selected as the backup
    method, enter a number of days since files were last accessed to include
    in this backup. For example, if you have been doing a full backup weekly
    but you want to include all files that were accessed in the past two
    months as part of your working set backup, you would enter 60 here.

  2. Re: Backup with working set backs up all Linux files

    Drum Dude wrote:
    > Here is what I extracted from the manual but it does not jive. I have
    > set the policy to 0 and 1 day but it backs up all the files.
    > Any ideas?
    > >

    > Note Backup Exec performs working set operations only on volumes that
    > support last accessed date for files (such as NetWare volumes, OS/2 HPFS
    > volumes, NTFS volumes, Mac OSX, and Unix NFS volumes).
    >
    > Working set. Backs up all selected files that were modified since the
    > last full or incremental backup without changing the files’ archive
    > bits. Also backs up those files that have been accessed within a number
    > of days you specify in the Files accessed in [ ] days option.
    >
    > ◆ Access days. If working set or archive is selected as the backup
    > method, enter a number of days since files were last accessed to include
    > in this backup. For example, if you have been doing a full backup weekly
    > but you want to include all files that were accessed in the past two
    > months as part of your working set backup, you would enter 60 here.

    I guess the real question is " Is it modified files or accessed files? "
    Thanks
    DrumDude

  3. Re: Backup with working set backs up all Linux files

    Drum Dude wrote:
    > Drum Dude wrote:
    >
    >> Here is what I extracted from the manual but it does not jive. I have
    >> set the policy to 0 and 1 day but it backs up all the files.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> >

    >> Note Backup Exec performs working set operations only on volumes that
    >> support last accessed date for files (such as NetWare volumes, OS/2
    >> HPFS volumes, NTFS volumes, Mac OSX, and Unix NFS volumes).
    >>
    >> Working set. Backs up all selected files that were modified since the
    >> last full or incremental backup without changing the files’ archive
    >> bits. Also backs up those files that have been accessed within a
    >> number of days you specify in the Files accessed in [ ] days option.
    >>
    >> ◆ Access days. If working set or archive is selected as the backup
    >> method, enter a number of days since files were last accessed to
    >> include in this backup. For example, if you have been doing a full
    >> backup weekly but you want to include all files that were accessed in
    >> the past two months as part of your working set backup, you would
    >> enter 60 here.
    >> >

    > I guess the real question is " Is it modified files or accessed files? "
    > Thanks
    > DrumDude

    Does anyone have any idea about this problem?

  4. Re: Backup with working set backs up all Linux files

    Drum Dude wrote:
    > Drum Dude wrote:
    >
    >> Drum Dude wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is what I extracted from the manual but it does not jive. I have
    >>> set the policy to 0 and 1 day but it backs up all the files.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> >
    >>> Note Backup Exec performs working set operations only on volumes that
    >>> support last accessed date for files (such as NetWare volumes, OS/2
    >>> HPFS volumes, NTFS volumes, Mac OSX, and Unix NFS volumes).
    >>>
    >>> Working set. Backs up all selected files that were modified since the
    >>> last full or incremental backup without changing the files’ archive
    >>> bits. Also backs up those files that have been accessed within a
    >>> number of days you specify in the Files accessed in [ ] days option.
    >>>
    >>> ◆ Access days. If working set or archive is selected as the backup
    >>> method, enter a number of days since files were last accessed to
    >>> include in this backup. For example, if you have been doing a full
    >>> backup weekly but you want to include all files that were accessed in
    >>> the past two months as part of your working set backup, you would
    >>> enter 60 here.
    >>> >

    >> I guess the real question is " Is it modified files or accessed files? "
    >> Thanks
    >> DrumDude

    > Does anyone have any idea about this problem?

    This does not seem to work based on Modified Time as I read. According
    to BK Exec for NetWare this feature is not available. To this date
    "Backup by modified time" is still not available in BK Exec Admin for
    NetWare. I have put in about 10 enhancement request for this in the past
    4 years. Why does Windows server have it and not NetWare server BK Exec?

+ Reply to Thread