Backup 2 Disc - how to properly "delete" old "tapes"? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup 2 Disc - how to properly "delete" old "tapes"? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using backup2disc while our tape unit is out being repaired. What's the proper way to delete/remove the "tapes" that B2D makes? I only need a weeks worth. I know i can manually delete the files, but of course, BackupExec ...

  1. Backup 2 Disc - how to properly "delete" old "tapes"?

    I'm using backup2disc while our tape unit is out being repaired.

    What's the proper way to delete/remove the "tapes" that B2D makes?

    I only need a weeks worth.

    I know i can manually delete the files, but of course, BackupExec will
    think the "tape" is still around.

    I want to 100% remove it from BackupExec (not "retire" the tape because
    it'll still show up).

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Backup 2 Disc - how to properly "delete" old "tapes"?

    Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > I'm using backup2disc while our tape unit is out being repaired.
    >
    > What's the proper way to delete/remove the "tapes" that B2D makes?
    >
    > I only need a weeks worth.
    >
    > I know i can manually delete the files, but of course, BackupExec will
    > think the "tape" is still around.
    >
    > I want to 100% remove it from BackupExec (not "retire" the tape because
    > it'll still show up).
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    I think, after retiring it you can delete it in BackupExec. After that
    it should not show up in BE anymore. Only the file in the filesystem is
    still there - but I guess that's the same with real tapes - BE will not
    make them vanish into thin air... ;-)

    But why delete it? Can't you just set the overwrite protection and the
    append period to one week?

    Mirko

  3. Re: Backup 2 Disc - how to properly "delete" old "tapes"?

    In article <44368d2c@ROSASTDMZ05.>, guldner@fh-offenburg.de says...
    > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > > I'm using backup2disc while our tape unit is out being repaired.
    > >
    > > What's the proper way to delete/remove the "tapes" that B2D makes?
    > >
    > > I only need a weeks worth.
    > >
    > > I know i can manually delete the files, but of course, BackupExec will
    > > think the "tape" is still around.
    > >
    > > I want to 100% remove it from BackupExec (not "retire" the tape because
    > > it'll still show up).
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?

    > I think, after retiring it you can delete it in BackupExec. After that
    > it should not show up in BE anymore. Only the file in the filesystem is
    > still there - but I guess that's the same with real tapes - BE will not
    > make them vanish into thin air... ;-)
    >
    > But why delete it? Can't you just set the overwrite protection and the
    > append period to one week?
    >
    > Mirko

    I could do that. Or so I think I can (just have to look at the docs a
    little closer)

    Thanks!

    --Kevin

+ Reply to Thread