Second drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Second drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE 9.2 on NW6.5sp3 I want to add a second Ultrium tape backup drive to my network because we have exceeded the capacity of one drive. Is it possible for BE to run two separate backup jobs at the same ...

  1. Second drive

    BE 9.2 on NW6.5sp3

    I want to add a second Ultrium tape backup drive to my network because
    we have exceeded the capacity of one drive.

    Is it possible for BE to run two separate backup jobs at the same time?
    Can I have one drive be used to backup one server and at the same time
    have the other drive backing up a different server?

    TIA

  2. Re: Second drive

    Kathy ,

    Although it is possible to configure BE to use multiple tape drives at the

    same time , you need to make sure that the media server has enough
    memory , CPU to run multiple backup jobs at the same time.

    - bkp master

    "Kathy McCain" wrote:
    >BE 9.2 on NW6.5sp3
    >
    >I want to add a second Ultrium tape backup drive to my network because
    >we have exceeded the capacity of one drive.
    >
    >Is it possible for BE to run two separate backup jobs at the same time?
    >Can I have one drive be used to backup one server and at the same time
    >have the other drive backing up a different server?
    >
    >TIA

  3. Re: Second drive

    Yes, and yes. You can run them as two standalone drives and direct each of
    two jobs to a particular drive and run the jobs concurrently; alternately
    you can cascade pool the drives, load them both with tape, fire off a job
    and when the first tape fills up have it roll over to the 2d drive. Running
    2 jobs concurrently may impact performance if resources are tight on the
    media server, and setting up a cascade pool carries some requirements, as
    explained in the user manual - need to be same tape type (can't pool a dat
    and a dlt, duh), should be same firmware if the exact same drive, etc.

    "Kathy McCain" wrote:
    >BE 9.2 on NW6.5sp3
    >
    >I want to add a second Ultrium tape backup drive to my network because
    >we have exceeded the capacity of one drive.
    >
    >Is it possible for BE to run two separate backup jobs at the same time?
    >Can I have one drive be used to backup one server and at the same time
    >have the other drive backing up a different server?
    >
    >TIA

+ Reply to Thread