Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've been running an earlier version of 9.1 for a long time with no problems until two weeks ago when it just stopped backing up our email server. No updates were done to any server of any kind. I backup ...

  1. Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    I've been running an earlier version of 9.1 for a long time with no problems
    until two weeks ago when it just stopped backing up our email server. No
    updates were done to any server of any kind. I backup 3 servers, all in the
    same tree and all have been updated to BE v9.1.1158.9. I can ping all
    servers from each other and can select files from the server that won't be
    backed up but I always get the error in the log file saying "could not
    attach to dataserver MAIL". Any ideas? TIA

    Bill Clark

  2. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    Have you tried creating a new job to see if that works?

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    Yes, have tried several different jobs and I get the same error on all of
    them. I've also updated to the latest version of 9.2 and it still doesnt'
    work. I've tried removing just that server from the console and
    re-installing, again, doesn't work. I'm thinking of doing a clean wipe of
    the whole BackupExec program and remote servers, then re-installing.

    Bill

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > Have you tried creating a new job to see if that works?
    >
    > -Barry.

  4. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    In article <443a79fd@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Bill Clark wrote:
    > I've tried removing just that server from the console and
    > re-installing, again, doesn't work.

    Removing how? Workstation Admin Console? NetWare Admin Console?

    Have you looked at \BKUPEXEC\NDMPSVRS.DAT? Check that the entry for
    MAIL is correct -- the correct IP address and serial numbers, and that
    there isn't a duplicate entry for it that has the old version info.

    Also try reconfiguring SMDR on MAIL. Unload BE and all TSAs. Then
    unload SMDR. You might also need to unload VOLSMS first. Once SMDR is
    unloaded enter SMDR NEW at the server console. Select TCP/IP, the
    correct network interface (private vs public), enable SLP. Enabling
    HOSTS is up to you. Reload your TSAs and BE and try connecting from
    your media server.

    If this still doesn't work, load BE with the -zl switch (debug mode) on
    MAIL, then try again. Once it fails, BESTOP on MAIL, then look at the
    debug log to see if it gives any clues to what's going on.

    You can do the same on the media server, but you don't have to start it
    with the -zl switch. From the BE Admin Console on the server press
    [ctrl]+[z] to toggle debug mode. Just don't forget to turn it off when
    you are done testing. The logs can get huge.

    The debug logs are stored in \BKUPEXEC\LOGS.

    -Barry.

  5. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    I checked the NDMPSVRS.DAT file and it had the correct name, ip address and
    serial numbers.
    I unloaded BE, TSANDS, TSA500 and SMDR and reloaded it with the NEW option,
    the restarted the other NLM's that were unloaded.
    I also ran the media server and the remote server that isn't working in
    debug mode and nothing appeared to be out of place.
    When I go into the BE Admin Console from my workstation, I run the backup
    wizard, I can select the MAIL server, can select the directories and files
    from it to backup and submit the job. But everytime, it eventually ends
    with an error and the following appears in the job log.
    **Pre-scanning device(s) to determine estimated size.
    Could not connect to MATC_MAIL.NetWare File System/MATC_MAIL/SYS:. The
    login credentials may be incorrect. All selections for this device will be
    skipped.
    **Pre-scanning operation completed.

    I have checked and rechecked and relogged in with the correct username and
    password but it always ends with this error when trying to backup any data
    from the MAIL server. All other servers backup just fine. I'm stumped.
    I'm just about ready to uninstall the entire BE, remote, media server and
    all, clear out all references from NDS and start over. Any suggestions?

    > In article <443a79fd@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Bill Clark wrote:
    >> I've tried removing just that server from the console and
    >> re-installing, again, doesn't work.

    > Removing how? Workstation Admin Console? NetWare Admin Console?
    >
    > Have you looked at \BKUPEXEC\NDMPSVRS.DAT? Check that the entry for
    > MAIL is correct -- the correct IP address and serial numbers, and that
    > there isn't a duplicate entry for it that has the old version info.
    >
    > Also try reconfiguring SMDR on MAIL. Unload BE and all TSAs. Then
    > unload SMDR. You might also need to unload VOLSMS first. Once SMDR is
    > unloaded enter SMDR NEW at the server console. Select TCP/IP, the
    > correct network interface (private vs public), enable SLP. Enabling
    > HOSTS is up to you. Reload your TSAs and BE and try connecting from
    > your media server.
    >
    > If this still doesn't work, load BE with the -zl switch (debug mode) on
    > MAIL, then try again. Once it fails, BESTOP on MAIL, then look at the
    > debug log to see if it gives any clues to what's going on.
    >
    > You can do the same on the media server, but you don't have to start it
    > with the -zl switch. From the BE Admin Console on the server press
    > [ctrl]+[z] to toggle debug mode. Just don't forget to turn it off when
    > you are done testing. The logs can get huge.
    >
    > The debug logs are stored in \BKUPEXEC\LOGS.
    >
    > -Barry.

  6. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    There's got to be something in the debug logs about the failure to
    connect.

    OK, what if you run the same process from the BE Admin Console on media
    server? Does that work?

    -Barry.

  7. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    OK, that is wierd. It will backup data from the MAIL server if I run a new
    backup job from the BE Admin Console on the media server itself, but not the
    Admin Console on my Windows workstation. Why is that??

    > There's got to be something in the debug logs about the failure to
    > connect.
    >
    > OK, what if you run the same process from the BE Admin Console on media
    > server? Does that work?
    >
    > -Barry.

  8. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    The java console is so flaky, so quirky, that I have minimal confidence in
    it. In some places it works like a champ, in others I can't afford to spend
    the time it takes to troubleshoot. If I can avoid it, I do. It's just a headache
    that won't go away. If it works at teh console, then BE is working fine.
    It's JAVA that is the issue.

    "Bill Clark" wrote:
    >OK, that is wierd. It will backup data from the MAIL server if I run a

    new
    >backup job from the BE Admin Console on the media server itself, but not

    the
    >Admin Console on my Windows workstation. Why is that??
    >
    >Bill
    >
    >"Barry St.John" wrote in message
    >> There's got to be something in the debug logs about the failure to
    >> connect.
    >>
    >> OK, what if you run the same process from the BE Admin Console on media
    >> server? Does that work?
    >>
    >> -Barry.

  9. Re: Could Not Attach to Dataserver Error

    Like Lane says, the Java console can be rather flakey. Make sure
    you're running the latest BE build and make sure your Java components
    are all up to date.

    I think it's a bit more consistent on 9.2 than on 9.1, but I still run
    into problems when I run the Java admin console on a workstation. The
    Java admin console on NetWare (under STARTX) seems better than on XP,
    probably due to it all using the same Java.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread