Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Should Java load normally in novell and then should "bestartj" command be used to start backup exec? Should java be unloaded before running the "bestartj" command? Having issue connecting to meda server. Should "bestart" be used instead? What is the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6

  1. Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6


    Should Java load normally in novell and then should "bestartj" command be
    used to start backup exec? Should java be unloaded before running the "bestartj"
    command? Having issue connecting to meda server. Should "bestart" be used
    instead? What is the proper procedure? Hosts file not the issue.


    thanks

  2. Re: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6

    BESTART should be used to start Backup Exec. If you do a JAVA -SHOw at
    the server console what do you see?

    You should check that name resolution is working in both directions as
    well. In other words, can you ping the server name from the workstation
    and the workstation name from the server?

  3. Re: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6

    NetWare will load Java by default, normally, because it will autoload
    with Apache and Tomcat are loaded. Apache and Tomcat are used for
    Novell Remote Manager and iManager, among other things.

    Depending how you answered the prompts when you installed BE, the
    installer may have put the -tj switch in your BESTART.NCF. If your
    BESTART.NCF doesn't have that switch you can add it there and the Java
    servlet engine for BE will always load when you launch BE.

    Otherwise, you can run BESTARTJ.NCF and that should accomplish the same
    thing.

    Once the BE Java servlet engine is loaded you can run the Java-based
    admin console for BE on either a workstation or on the server itself.

    To run on a workstation you have to install it first.

    To run on the server, run STARTX from the server console prompt. On
    the NetWare GUI screen click the Start button and you should find BE
    Admin Console in the menu.

    It's been my experience that this doesn't work particularly well on
    NW5.x. NW6.0 is better, but be sure you have at least NW6/SP3
    installed. Also be sure your Java components are up to date.

    See http://support.veritas.com/docs/278129 for more.

    For both NW5.x and 6.0, be sure you have the latest Support Packs
    installed.

    IMO, the BE9 java console is rather flakey. The v9.1 version is
    better, but still a little buggy. The v9.2 console is worlds better.
    Do be sure you have the latest version of BE9.0 if you must stay on
    that version.

    -Barry.


  4. Re: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6


    can ping from workstation the server name but not from the server to workstaion
    name

    Java -show
    Classname
    -------------------------------------------------------
    org.apache.tomcat.startup.main.................... .197
    vrts.hro.net.rmi.server.ServerMain .................750
    Total running: 2
    thanks,
    Mark

    "Chris" wrote:
    >BESTART should be used to start Backup Exec. If you do a JAVA -SHOw at
    >the server console what do you see?
    >
    >You should check that name resolution is working in both directions as
    >well. In other words, can you ping the server name from the workstation
    >and the workstation name from the server?



  5. Re: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6


    Is it better with the 9.0 version to run the bestart without the J switch
    on the 5.1 server? This is the version of BE I have to work with. Running
    the bestartj shouldn't interfere with the apache and tomcat?

    thanks

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >NetWare will load Java by default, normally, because it will autoload
    >with Apache and Tomcat are loaded. Apache and Tomcat are used for
    >Novell Remote Manager and iManager, among other things.
    >
    >Depending how you answered the prompts when you installed BE, the
    >installer may have put the -tj switch in your BESTART.NCF. If your
    >BESTART.NCF doesn't have that switch you can add it there and the Java
    >servlet engine for BE will always load when you launch BE.
    >
    >Otherwise, you can run BESTARTJ.NCF and that should accomplish the same


    >thing.
    >
    >Once the BE Java servlet engine is loaded you can run the Java-based
    >admin console for BE on either a workstation or on the server itself.
    >
    >To run on a workstation you have to install it first.
    >
    >To run on the server, run STARTX from the server console prompt. On
    >the NetWare GUI screen click the Start button and you should find BE
    >Admin Console in the menu.
    >
    >It's been my experience that this doesn't work particularly well on
    >NW5.x. NW6.0 is better, but be sure you have at least NW6/SP3
    >installed. Also be sure your Java components are up to date.
    >
    >See http://support.veritas.com/docs/278129 for more.
    >
    >For both NW5.x and 6.0, be sure you have the latest Support Packs
    >installed.
    >
    >IMO, the BE9 java console is rather flakey. The v9.1 version is
    >better, but still a little buggy. The v9.2 console is worlds better.
    >Do be sure you have the latest version of BE9.0 if you must stay on
    >that version.
    >
    >-Barry.
    >



  6. Re: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6

    Mark wrote:

    >
    > can ping from workstation the server name but not from the server to
    > workstaion name


    This needs fixing before the admin console will work. You will probably
    need to add an entry for the workstation in the server's hosts file
    (sys:\etc\hosts).


  7. Re: Backup exec 9.0 and Java, netware 5.1 and 6

    In article <4422ad65@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Mark wrote:
    > Is it better with the 9.0 version to run the bestart without the J switch
    > on the 5.1 server? This is the version of BE I have to work with. Running
    > the bestartj shouldn't interfere with the apache and tomcat?



    You can load it either way. If you don't mind it being loaded all the time
    use the -tj switch. Otherwise you can use BESTARTJ to load it when you
    need it, then use JAVA -kill to unload it after. Either method is
    fine and shouldn't interfere with Apache or Tomcat.

    -Barry.






+ Reply to Thread