Automatically Use The tape in next slot in Ultrium 323 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Automatically Use The tape in next slot in Ultrium 323 - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are using HP Ultrium 323 1/8 autoloader and the media is set to none write protection and eject the tape after the job is done. The cleaning tape is in slot 8. How to set the autoloader to use ...

  1. Automatically Use The tape in next slot in Ultrium 323

    We are using HP Ultrium 323 1/8 autoloader and the media is set to none write
    protection and eject the tape after the job is done. The cleaning tape is
    in slot 8.

    How to set the autoloader to use the tape in the slot sequentially from slot
    1 to slot 7 and then go backup to use from 1 to 7 again. We have read the
    document of tape management, still could not set it right.

    Thank you for your help.

  2. Re: Automatically Use The tape in next slot in Ultrium 323

    Two basic ways to do this using Partition Management mode:

    1) Configure each slot as a single partition. Create a job for each
    day and point it to its designated partition (slot). This takes more
    setup work in that you have to create more partitions and more jobs.
    But you will always know which tape holds data for a particular day's
    backup.

    2) Configure all 7 slots as one partition. Create a job that runs on
    the first day of your backup week that is configured to overwrite. You
    can have this job backup just a single file. It's main task is to
    overwrite the media header. Next, create a job that runs everyday and
    appends. As each tape fills up the next tape in the partition will get
    used. This takes less work to set up (1 partition vs 7, and 2 jobs vs
    7) but you can never tell just by looking at the tape cartridges which
    one hold data from which day's backup.

    Neither is more right than the other. I actually employ both methods
    -- whichever makes sense for the particular installation. So whatever
    fits your needs best...

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Automatically Use The tape in next slot in Ultrium 323

    In short, you don't, unless you convert to use partitions. That has some caveats
    so dont' just jump in willynilly. The default media mgmt will take a tape
    at random and you cant make it go sequentially from slot to slot. If you
    go the partition route, all tapes in the partition are seen as one logical
    tape - so you cannot go any finer than that - if you have a 3 slot partition
    you have 3 pieces of media that are logically ONE tape. Overwrites start
    at the front of the 1st tape and appends go to the end of the last data written
    regardless of what tape that might be on. Back in the old days partitions
    were the only option.

    "Mark Tee" wrote:

    >We are using HP Ultrium 323 1/8 autoloader and the media is set to none

    write
    >protection and eject the tape after the job is done. The cleaning tape is
    >in slot 8.
    >
    >How to set the autoloader to use the tape in the slot sequentially from

    slot
    >1 to slot 7 and then go backup to use from 1 to 7 again. We have read the
    >document of tape management, still could not set it right.
    >
    >Thank you for your help.

+ Reply to Thread