Corrupt File Error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Corrupt File Error - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hell all, I am encountering a weird problem with my Backup Exec(Netware 6.5 - BE 9.10 rev. 1156). The error I'm getting is: Warning: File \[Pathname]\[Filename] is corrupt on media. Now normally one would think that the file is corrupt, ...

  1. Corrupt File Error

    Hell all,
    I am encountering a weird problem with my Backup Exec(Netware 6.5 - BE 9.10
    rev. 1156). The error I'm getting is:
    Warning: File \[Pathname]\[Filename] is corrupt on media.

    Now normally one would think that the file is corrupt, and it would fix it
    by just removing the file, except in out situation the files it reports are
    different every night(Doing a full Backup to Disk nightly Monday through
    Friday). There is one common thing between the files that it's reporting,
    all the files are Print Shop files *.pds. Another odd thing about this whole
    process is that the Backup Job will work perfectly every 7 backups. I've
    looked through every support article and newsgroup I could find reporting
    anything near the same problem, and have had no luck. Any support you could
    lend me would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: Corrupt File Error

    BE reports "file is corrupt on media" when an SMS error is encountered in
    the backup process. It's misleading. The TSAs are responsible for feeding
    BE with data, and when they hit an obstacle (data stream in use, file locked,
    etc.) it feeds an SMS error to BE. BE interprets it in a couple different
    ways, neither of which is logical - either "corrupt on media" or "insufficient
    privileges". These messages rarely if ever point to a corrupt file or a rights
    issue. They almost always filter back to an SMS error.

    "John Gillette" wrote:

    >Hell all,
    >I am encountering a weird problem with my Backup Exec(Netware 6.5 - BE 9.10
    >rev. 1156). The error I'm getting is:
    >Warning: File \[Pathname]\[Filename] is corrupt on media.
    >
    >Now normally one would think that the file is corrupt, and it would fix

    it
    >by just removing the file, except in out situation the files it reports

    are
    >different every night(Doing a full Backup to Disk nightly Monday through
    >Friday). There is one common thing between the files that it's reporting,
    >all the files are Print Shop files *.pds. Another odd thing about this whole
    >process is that the Backup Job will work perfectly every 7 backups. I've
    >looked through every support article and newsgroup I could find reporting
    >anything near the same problem, and have had no luck. Any support you could
    >lend me would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >John

  3. Re: Corrupt File Error

    On 09/03/2006 "Lane Oakley" wrote:

    >BE reports "file is corrupt on media" when an SMS error is encountered in
    >the backup process. It's misleading. The TSAs are responsible for feeding
    >BE with data, and when they hit an obstacle (data stream in use, file locked,
    >etc.) it feeds an SMS error to BE. BE interprets it in a couple different
    >ways, neither of which is logical - either "corrupt on media" or "insufficient
    >privileges". These messages rarely if ever point to a corrupt file or a rights
    >issue. They almost always filter back to an SMS error.
    >

    >"John Gillette" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hell all,
    >>I am encountering a weird problem with my Backup Exec(Netware 6.5 - BE 9.10
    >>rev. 1156). The error I'm getting is:
    >>Warning: File \[Pathname]\[Filename] is corrupt on media.
    >>
    >>Now normally one would think that the file is corrupt, and it would fix

    >it
    >>by just removing the file, except in out situation the files it reports

    >are
    >>different every night(Doing a full Backup to Disk nightly Monday through
    >>Friday). There is one common thing between the files that it's reporting,
    >>all the files are Print Shop files *.pds. Another odd thing about this whole
    >>process is that the Backup Job will work perfectly every 7 backups. I've
    >>looked through every support article and newsgroup I could find reporting
    >>anything near the same problem, and have had no luck. Any support you could
    >>lend me would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>John

    I also get this message, and sometimes it will happen a couple times a week,
    and then it doesn't show up for a month. I am a little concerned, because
    when I get the error, quick check or verifiy is skipped during the backup job.
    Any way to fix this permanently. Thanks.

  4. Re: Corrupt File Error

    "Mike Paschke" wrote:
    >On 09/03/2006 "Lane Oakley" wrote:
    >>
    >>BE reports "file is corrupt on media" when an SMS error is encountered

    in
    >>the backup process. It's misleading. The TSAs are responsible for feeding
    >>BE with data, and when they hit an obstacle (data stream in use, file locked,
    >>etc.) it feeds an SMS error to BE. BE interprets it in a couple different
    >>ways, neither of which is logical - either "corrupt on media" or "insufficient
    >>privileges". These messages rarely if ever point to a corrupt file or a

    rights
    >>issue. They almost always filter back to an SMS error.
    >>

    >>"John Gillette" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hell all,
    >>>I am encountering a weird problem with my Backup Exec(Netware 6.5 - BE

    9.10
    >>>rev. 1156). The error I'm getting is:
    >>>Warning: File \[Pathname]\[Filename] is corrupt on media.
    >>>
    >>>Now normally one would think that the file is corrupt, and it would fix

    >>it
    >>>by just removing the file, except in out situation the files it reports

    >>are
    >>>different every night(Doing a full Backup to Disk nightly Monday through
    >>>Friday). There is one common thing between the files that it's reporting,
    >>>all the files are Print Shop files *.pds. Another odd thing about this

    whole
    >>>process is that the Backup Job will work perfectly every 7 backups. I've
    >>>looked through every support article and newsgroup I could find reporting
    >>>anything near the same problem, and have had no luck. Any support you

    could
    >>>lend me would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>John

    >I also get this message, and sometimes it will happen a couple times a week,

    >and then it doesn't show up for a month. I am a little concerned, because

    >when I get the error, quick check or verifiy is skipped during the backup

    job.
    > Any way to fix this permanently. Thanks.

    For me also, I have this intermittent error message. I have been using Backup
    Exec for Netware 9.1 for more than 2 years now on a NW4.2 server. I still
    never find anything on this Forum for solving this problem.

+ Reply to Thread