BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, Went to Symantec seminar last week and was told that Symantec will not be doing anymore versions of BackupExec for netware! Is this true? Can anyone confirm it? Really annoying to be told that because the USA decided ...

  1. BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?!

    Hi All,

    Went to Symantec seminar last week and was told that Symantec will not be
    doing anymore versions of BackupExec for netware!

    Is this true? Can anyone confirm it?

    Really annoying to be told that because the USA decided that everyone uses
    Windoze, they are going to discontinue the Netware product.

    Here in Australia there are still a lot of big Netware sites including a
    lot of government.

    Any recommendations for a back up solution to move to when they drop support?

    Ben

  2. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product beingdiscontinued?!?!

    Backup Express

    >>> Ben 3/5/2006 10:20:24 PM >>>

    Went to Symantec seminar last week and was told that Symantec will not be
    doing anymore versions of BackupExec for netware!

    Is this true? Can anyone confirm it?

    Really annoying to be told that because the USA decided that everyone uses
    Windoze, they are going to discontinue the Netware product.

    Here in Australia there are still a lot of big Netware sites including a
    lot of government.

    Any recommendations for a back up solution to move to when they drop support?

    Ben

  3. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?!

    Can someone please resond to this question?

  4. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?!

    Steve wrote:
    > Can someone please resond to this question?

    They were not there at BrainShare for the last 3 years.... maybe a good
    indicator?
    Two companies that were if I recall are Syncsort and Commvault??
    If you were at the Symantec seminar and that is who owns Veritas now is
    that not your answer?

  5. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product beingdiscontinued?!?!

    Timothy Fitch wrote:
    > Backup Express

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Went to Symantec seminar last week and was told that Symantec will not be
    > doing anymore versions of BackupExec for netware!
    >
    > Is this true? Can anyone confirm it?
    >
    > Really annoying to be told that because the USA decided that everyone uses
    > Windoze, they are going to discontinue the Netware product.
    >
    > Here in Australia there are still a lot of big Netware sites including a
    > lot of government.
    >
    > Any recommendations for a back up solution to move to when they drop support?

    I can't comment on the issue of Symantec's support for BE one way or the
    other, but i can say that we've had huge dramas with backup on our site,
    and it doesn't look like there is currently a good solution.

    For what it's worth, here are some notes about our situation:

    - Syncsort's Backup Express (hereafter BEX) costs about 15-20 times as
    much as Backup Exec (hereafter BE), at least on the pricing to us, an
    educational institution.

    - BE 9.x won't work in our environment due to memory problems on
    NetWare. We've followed all the tuning guides and run the usual
    utilities to help us, and it still can't make it through a backup of 3
    NetWare servers and 5 cluster volumes (totaling about 400 GB).

    - BE 9.x limits our tape drive (an AIT-3) to about 40-50% of its
    throughput (it's rated at 42 Gb/hr). On the same hardware (using Linux
    rather than NW), we get 90% throughput using BEX or CommVault, and 95%
    using HP Data Protector.

    - BEX has the worst control and reporting interface i've ever seen in a
    backup product (and i'm not talking about cosmetic issues here, but
    ergonomics). If my boss asked me "did the backups work last night", i
    couldn't say for sure - it would take me an hour to work that out after
    digging through 30-100 pages of PDF reports. BEX reporter fixes this
    well, but it doesn't fix the control issue, and it costs extra.

    We're currently investigating backup to disk solutions (like rsync) for
    our NetWare cluster so that we can consider other products that don't
    currently support clustered volumes on NW.

    Paul

  6. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?!

    Symantec was at Brainshare this year.

    -Barry.

  7. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?!

    Barry St.John wrote:
    > Symantec was at Brainshare this year.
    >
    > -Barry.

    I was at that booth they were not talking about backups at all! I had a
    specific question for them about BK Exec for NetWare and NSS volumes on
    Linux OES. They said they would call in for me as no one was there
    representing it.
    Anyway it only make sense to start moving the platform from NetWare to
    support on Linux as Novell is as well. Which is a good thing in my
    opinion. But to have to introduce a Windows backup server in a
    non-Windows environment is another story.
    DrumDude

  8. Re: BackupExec for Netware 9.2 is the last one. Product being discontinued?!?!

    Drum Dude wrote:
    > Barry St.John wrote:
    >> Symantec was at Brainshare this year.
    >>
    >> -Barry.
    >>

    > I was at that booth they were not talking about backups at all! I had a
    > specific question for them about BK Exec for NetWare and NSS volumes on
    > Linux OES. They said they would call in for me as no one was there
    > representing it.
    > Anyway it only make sense to start moving the platform from NetWare to
    > support on Linux as Novell is as well. Which is a good thing in my
    > opinion. But to have to introduce a Windows backup server in a
    > non-Windows environment is another story.

    Do you have many Windows client PCs? If so, WSUS is a good enough
    reason to install a Windows server. And if you've got one, you could
    easily host backups on it as well - WSUS doesn't take much grunt. :-)

    It's not that i like the idea of having to support Windows servers, but
    i think it's just a fact of life nowadays. My network has 5 NetWare
    servers and about 10 Linux servers, but i had to add a Windows server so
    that i could run WSUS.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread