files missing when doing a full backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on files missing when doing a full backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've noticed recently that when I do a full backup it is giving me insufficient privileges for some files. When I went to check these files out they are not on the system. I had moved some files last week. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: files missing when doing a full backup

  1. files missing when doing a full backup


    I've noticed recently that when I do a full backup it is giving me insufficient

    privileges for some files. When I went to check these files out they are
    not on
    the system. I had moved some files last week. I selected the file system
    from
    scratch not from a selection list. I did a full backup. It tells me it
    has insufficient privileges and when I check the catalog, the files are not
    where I moved them to either. Now I am worried I am not getting a good backup
    of all files. Is there something I am supposed to be doing to make sure
    that all files are being backed up, other than selecting all files? We are
    using Backup EXEC 9.10 revision 1152 if that makes a difference.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Diana

  2. Re: files missing when doing a full backup

    In article <43fdd91a@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Diana wrote:

    > I selected the file system from scratch not from a selection list.


    Meaning for the existing backup job or for a new job you have created
    after you discovered the problem? If for the existing job, how about
    try creating a new job and see if that helps.

    Also, there is a newer build of BE9.1 available:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/278600

    -Barry.




  3. Re: files missing when doing a full backup


    It was with a new job.
    Diana


    Barry St.John wrote:
    >In article <43fdd91a@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Diana wrote:
    >
    >> I selected the file system from scratch not from a selection list.

    >
    >Meaning for the existing backup job or for a new job you have created
    >after you discovered the problem? If for the existing job, how about
    >try creating a new job and see if that helps.
    >
    >Also, there is a newer build of BE9.1 available:
    >
    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/278600
    >
    >-Barry.
    >
    >
    >



  4. Re: files missing when doing a full backup

    Look in \bkupexec\jobdata. Your backup jobs are located there. You
    can view/edit with any text editor. Sort the files by date and that
    will help you find the job you created most recently. It has a .BKS
    extension.

    Post the contents here. And if you still have the old job, post it, as
    well, for comparison.

    -Barry.



  5. Re: files missing when doing a full backup


    Here is the text from the latest job for srv2 ( the one having the problem):

    /OS_TYPE:7
    /OS_SUBTYPE:0
    /USERNAME:"SRV2.NetWare File System:.ADMIN.LYCO"
    "++SRV2.NetWare File System:\*.*" /SUBDIR
    /OS_TYPE:7
    /OS_SUBTYPE:0
    /USERNAME:"SRV2.Novell Directory:.ADMIN.LYCO"
    "++SRV2.Novell Directory:\*.*" /SUBDIR


    There are multiple previous jobs in the list they all have the same text
    in them. I have been creating new jobs each time.

    Thank you for looking at this.

    Diana



    Barry St.John wrote:
    >Look in \bkupexec\jobdata. Your backup jobs are located there. You
    >can view/edit with any text editor. Sort the files by date and that
    >will help you find the job you created most recently. It has a .BKS
    >extension.
    >
    >Post the contents here. And if you still have the old job, post it, as


    >well, for comparison.
    >
    >-Barry.
    >
    >



  6. Re: files missing when doing a full backup

    Your job file looks fine.

    Have you tried running NSS /PoolVerify?

    -Barry.




  7. Re: files missing when doing a full backup


    I ran that last night, there were no errors.


    Barry St.John wrote:
    >Your job file looks fine.
    >
    >Have you tried running NSS /PoolVerify?
    >
    >-Barry.
    >
    >
    >



  8. Re: files missing when doing a full backup

    Sorry for the delay...

    What version of NetWare, including Support Pack, is this?

    -Barry.


  9. Re: files missing when doing a full backup


    Barry St.John wrote:
    >Sorry for the delay...
    >
    >What version of NetWare, including Support Pack, is this?

    Netware 6.5 sp3


  10. Re: files missing when doing a full backup

    Have you applied the post-SP3 NSS patches?

    http://support.novell.com/servlet/fi.../n65nss3a.exe/

    Better yet, consider SP5.

    And as for BE itself, the lastest build for 9.1 is 1158.4:

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278601.htm

    You might give that a try, as well.

    -Barry.




+ Reply to Thread