Duplicate sets after backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Duplicate sets after backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I'm still not able to use the duplicate functionality; this is one of the most important features for us - it seems that it simply does not work... (?) I wonder if there is anybody who has this working? ...

  1. Duplicate sets after backup

    Hi,

    I'm still not able to use the duplicate functionality; this is one of
    the most important features for us - it seems that it simply does not
    work... (?) I wonder if there is anybody who has this working?

    I am backing up my servers to Disk (IBM DS4100 directly FC-connected to
    the media server, no SAN); the backup sets should be duplicated to Tape
    (Tandberg S24 LTO2 SCSI-connected to the media server).

    - Backup jobs to Disk are ok
    - Backup jobs to Tape are ok
    - Duplicate jobs from Disk to Tape are ok when created separately from
    the B2D jobs
    - Using the "Duplicate sets after backup" within the B2D jobs does not work.

    Sometimes the job fails and I get error messages:

    - "Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation is
    not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted."

    The media IS present in the B2D folder!

    - " Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    arguments. (24606)"

    But most times the job _does not_ fail, status is "Normal", but nothing
    is copied.

    I tried a completely new installation of BE - the problem occurs from
    the very beginning.

    Netware 6.5 SP4a, BE 9.2 Build 1391.14

    Any ideas? Does it work anywhere?

    Mirko

  2. Re: Duplicate sets after backup

    I don't know about the B2D part of it, but if you create your jobs in
    the text-based Admin Console on the NetWare server, then the
    duplication jobs won't work correctly.

    Use the gui console, either on the NetWare server or a workstation, and
    the duplication jobs work a whole lot better. Still have occasional
    problems with the rescheduling, though.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Duplicate sets after backup

    Barry St.John schrieb:
    > I don't know about the B2D part of it, but if you create your jobs in
    > the text-based Admin Console on the NetWare server, then the
    > duplication jobs won't work correctly.
    >
    > Use the gui console, either on the NetWare server or a workstation, and
    > the duplication jobs work a whole lot better. Still have occasional
    > problems with the rescheduling, though.

    I created all jobs with the gui console; but for testing I rescheduled
    them using the text console. I'll try to use the gui and leave the
    schedule alone once set. I'll report back here if it helps...

    (But one thing I know for sure: never had to work with software of such
    miserable quality! :-(( )

    Thanks,
    Mirko

  4. Re: Duplicate sets after backup

    I also have this problem, but I decides to investigate it further.

    > Sometimes the job fails and I get error messages:
    > - "Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation is
    > not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted."

    This error happens if a duplicate fails for some reason and the original
    job is rescheduled, the next time the B2D job runs and starts duplicate
    to tape it will read the old info from the duplicatejob and try to
    duplicate the data from the previous job, if that data was erased from
    the set due to overwrite protection it will never find the data.

    Hmm, to clear up things:

    1. Job runs scheduled on monday to disk, duplicate fails.
    2. Overwrite protection for the monday job expires.
    3. Next monday, backup to disk runs OK.
    4 Duplicate job starts, read old info from the job and tries to
    duplicate the data from previous monday, as it is overwritten the
    duplicate job will fail with correct error:
    Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation is
    not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted.

    To fix it? Delete the duplicate job, edit the backup job and recreate
    the duplicate.

    > - " Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    > arguments. (24606)"

    This one is odd. I have salvaged all old jobs from BKUPEXEC folders to
    try to find out what happened.
    Here is a duplicate job:
    /_TPNUM:338ca005
    /_TPSEQ:14
    /_BSNUM:61
    /_BSNUM:62
    /_BSNUM:63
    /_BSNUM:64
    "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"

    And here is a duplicate job that fails:
    /_TPNUM:338da470
    /_TPSEQ:e
    /_BSNUM:53
    /_BSNUM:54
    /_BSNUM:55
    /_BSNUM:56
    "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"

    Spot the difference?

    TPSEQ:14 in one case and TPSEQ:e in the other, well, hex e is decimal
    14. Looks like a bug in BackupExec, it can read decimal 14 but fails
    with an invalid argument with hex e.

    But to report this to Symantec is like fly to the moon, it costs a
    fortune. You need a support contract.

    FWIW.

    Sincerely,
    Mikael Carlsson
    Novell CNE 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x

  5. Re: Duplicate sets after backup

    Mikael Carlsson wrote:

    > To fix it? Delete the duplicate job, edit the backup job and recreate
    > the duplicate.

    I'll try that the next time I get this kind of error message.

    At the moment I only get these messages:

    >> - " Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    >> arguments. (24606)"

    > This one is odd. I have salvaged all old jobs from BKUPEXEC folders to
    > try to find out what happened.
    > Here is a duplicate job:
    > /_TPNUM:338ca005
    > /_TPSEQ:14
    > /_BSNUM:61
    > /_BSNUM:62
    > /_BSNUM:63
    > /_BSNUM:64
    > "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"
    >
    > And here is a duplicate job that fails:
    > /_TPNUM:338da470
    > /_TPSEQ:e
    > /_BSNUM:53
    > /_BSNUM:54
    > /_BSNUM:55
    > /_BSNUM:56
    > "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"
    >
    > Spot the difference?
    >
    > TPSEQ:14 in one case and TPSEQ:e in the other, well, hex e is decimal
    > 14. Looks like a bug in BackupExec, it can read decimal 14 but fails
    > with an invalid argument with hex e.
    >
    > But to report this to Symantec is like fly to the moon, it costs a
    > fortune. You need a support contract.

    Sounds quite interessting! I'm in contact with Symantec support and I'll
    forward this hint.

    Thanks,
    Mirko

  6. Re: Duplicate sets after backup

    Mirko Guldner wrote:

    > Sounds quite interessting! I'm in contact with Symantec support and I'll
    > forward this hint.

    They were able to reproduce this - I think there will be a patch or new
    release soon.

    Mirko

  7. Re: Duplicate sets after backup

    > They were able to reproduce this - I think there will be a patch or new
    > release soon.

    Great!!! A great THANK YOU for forwarding this. I owe you one pint :-)

    Sincerely,
    Mikael

+ Reply to Thread