BE9.2 won't see an SMS target - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE9.2 won't see an SMS target - Veritas Backup Exec ; In my ongoing quest to get an OES (SUSE Linux) box backed up from NetWare, I've managed to succesfully configure my NetWare-based media server to pick up SMS targets on Linux. From SBCON, I can see the TSA on Linux, ...

  1. BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    In my ongoing quest to get an OES (SUSE Linux) box backed up from NetWare,
    I've managed to succesfully configure my NetWare-based media server to pick
    up SMS targets on Linux. From SBCON, I can see the TSA on Linux, connect
    to it and even do a backup of a GroupWise post office running on SuSE. DISPLAY
    SLP SERVICES shows the smdr service running too.

    But BE9.2 won't see any of the SMS targets. I can see the paths published
    by the Unix agent on the server, but these are not SMS paths (i.e. not those
    shown by SBCON - they're just file system paths).

    How can I get BE to pick up these paths? I've read the documents about configuring
    SMS, but it seems to me that SMS is working fine - it's just BE that won't
    pick it up.

  2. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Are you using RALUS (http://support.veritas.com/docs/279329)?

    If so, I don't think that you can backup NSS volumes running on OES
    (Linux Kernel) with RALUS. Not yet, anyway...

    Is this what you are attempting to do??

  3. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Chris wrote:
    > Are you using RALUS (http://support.veritas.com/docs/279329)?

    I've tried it, but I can't get it to work. We've not bought RALUS (yet);
    I was under the impression that agents would work in eval mode for 90
    days. However, talking to Veritas (Symantec) support, they can't figure
    out why our RALUS isn't working, and the only explanation they've given
    me is that it isn't licensed.

    The old-style agent DOES work as much as I'd expected it to - it picks
    up non-NSS mounts, and it actually DOES show an NSS path - just not any
    subdirectories off this path.

    > If so, I don't think that you can backup NSS volumes running on OES
    > (Linux Kernel) with RALUS. Not yet, anyway...
    >
    > Is this what you are attempting to do??

    Ultimately what I'm trying to do is back up a GroupWise post office on
    an OES server. I don't really care how I do this - old agent, RALUS, SMS
    - just as long as we can pull the stuff directly from OES to the
    NW-based media server without having to fanny around with DBCOPY.

    Now SBCON can see the TSAs for GroupWise, Linux FS and NetWare FS on the
    OES server. SBCON can also back up from any and all of these TSAs. But
    Backup Exec ignores them

  4. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Chris wrote:

    > Well, if RALUS is in eval and your media server is fully licensed that
    > would explain why it's not working. You must have everything installed
    > in either licensed or eval. You cannot have a mix because the eval
    > agents wont be seen by BE.

    I see - that makes sense. I've ordered RALUS anyway, just waiting for
    the license key to appear.

    > I presume that your GroupWise PO resides on an NSS volume? If so, I
    > dont think that BE will 'see' this because, as I said, RALUS (and the
    > old UNIX agent) cannot backup NSS volumes running on OES (Linux Kernel).

    Fair enough, although it seems strange that the old agent can "see" an
    NSS volume, albeit in a broken fashion. But what about ignoring RALUS
    and agents completely - if SBCON can see and backup anything presented
    by a TSA on the OES server, why can't I just use SMS/SMDR to access the
    data on OES?

  5. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Well, if RALUS is in eval and your media server is fully licensed that
    would explain why it's not working. You must have everything installed
    in either licensed or eval. You cannot have a mix because the eval
    agents wont be seen by BE.

    I presume that your GroupWise PO resides on an NSS volume? If so, I
    dont think that BE will 'see' this because, as I said, RALUS (and the
    old UNIX agent) cannot backup NSS volumes running on OES (Linux Kernel).

  6. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    > Fair enough, although it seems strange that the old agent can "see"
    > an NSS volume, albeit in a broken fashion. But what about ignoring
    > RALUS and agents completely - if SBCON can see and backup anything
    > presented by a TSA on the OES server, why can't I just use SMS/SMDR
    > to access the data on OES?

    Yeah, I agree with you there. Are you using TSAFSGW (from TSA5UP18)?

  7. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Chris wrote:

    >>Fair enough, although it seems strange that the old agent can "see"
    >>an NSS volume, albeit in a broken fashion. But what about ignoring
    >>RALUS and agents completely - if SBCON can see and backup anything
    >>presented by a TSA on the OES server, why can't I just use SMS/SMDR
    >>to access the data on OES?

    > Yeah, I agree with you there. Are you using TSAFSGW (from TSA5UP18)?

    Yes and no. I'm using the TSAFSGW that's part of the SMS install on OES
    (following the instructions on pg 421 of the GW7 Administration manual).

    To verify it's running, I typed the following rom a shell prompt on the
    OES server:

    # /opt/novell/sms/bin/smsconfig -t
    The loaded TSAs are:
    tsafs
    tsafsgw --home /media/nss/GRPWISE/central1.po

    Now if I go into SBCON on our media server (NetWare 6.5 SP4), and select
    "Change target to Backup From or Restore To", I can select the OES
    server (along with several other NW servers we have dotted around our
    network). I select the OES server, and then I can choose one of three TSAs:

    GRPWISE-SVR.GroupWise System
    GRPWISE-SVR.Linux File System
    GRPWISE-SVR.NetWare File System

    If I choose one and then go into Job Administration, I can see resources
    on each: the PO for the GroupWise system, the files on the NSS volume etc.

  8. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Can anyone help further? Why can't BackupExec see a simple SMS target
    that's advertised and available from SBCON?

  9. Re: BE9.2 won't see an SMS target

    Hi,

    I don't know if you find a solution at you're problem but i'm curious because
    i have a similar problem.

    We use Backup exec 10d in evaluation mode and try to backup a nss cluster
    volume on linux server. I see the path and the file but when i try to backup,
    a message error appear: Acces Denied.

    I have load tsafs in dual mode.

    I hope that you can help me.

    Best regard

    S.C.

    Kenny Anderson wrote:
    >Can anyone help further? Why can't BackupExec see a simple SMS target
    >that's advertised and available from SBCON?

+ Reply to Thread