NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is really more of a NetWare question but I'm hoping somebody here may know the answer. NetWare's own NWTAPE.CDM prevents Backup Exec (9.1) from loading. These servers were upgraded from NW 6.0 to NW 6.5 SP4 using an in-place ...

  1. NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    This is really more of a NetWare question but I'm hoping somebody here may
    know the answer. NetWare's own NWTAPE.CDM prevents Backup Exec (9.1) from
    in-place upgrade. The NW 6.5 upgrade added the NWTAPE.CDM to the STARTUP.NCF.
    We have removed the LOAD NWTAPE.CDM line from the STARTUP.NCF but it seems
    some other NLM in NetWare 6.5 is auto-loading NWTAPE.CDM even though we've
    removed it from STARTUP.NCF. So every time we restart a server we have to
    manually unload NWTAPE and then run BESTART to get BE to start up properly.

    What could be auto-loading NWTAPE.CDM and how do I stop it from doing so?
    We never had this problem under NW 6.0. (Same version of BE.)

    Thanks!

  2. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    Not sure where it's getting loaded from but the one sure fire way to
    stop it from loading is to rename it (it's held in c:\nwserver\drivers).

  3. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Not sure where it's getting loaded from but the one sure fire way to
    >stop it from loading is to rename it (it's held in c:\nwserver\drivers).

    Yeah, I suppose that would stop the immediate issue, but I'd still like to
    know what's doing it and why. Wasn't an issue with NW 6.0. Why would NW
    6.5 do it? I just don't like my software doing things that don't make sense.
    There may be a reason that it's doing it but then I'd like to know that
    is so then maybe it will make sense.

    Thanks!

  4. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    This should explain it (found this posted in the Novell forums):

    After the HAM drivers are being loaded and the devices have been
    detected, NWPA.NLM will check for any device that does not yet have a
    CDM driver associated and will try to load a default driver. The
    default drivers that may be loaded that way are IDEHD.CDM, IDECD.CDM,
    SCSIHD.CDM, SCSICD.CDM and NWTAPE.CDM

  5. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    Cory:
    It is an issue with 6.0 also. I have "unload nwtape" in all my
    autoexec.ncf. I guess Novell thinks we should be using it??
    Frustrating I know.

    Peter

    --

  6. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    Yes, Novell assumes everyone will run SBACKUP, and NWTAPE is required
    for that.

    -Barry.

  7. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    No, you just have to SET "AUTO LOAD OF CDM MODULES" from ON to OFF,
    then only the drivers contained in startup.ncf are loaded.

    W. Prindl
    --

    Barry St.John wrote:

    > Yes, Novell assumes everyone will run SBACKUP, and NWTAPE is required
    > for that.
    >
    > -Barry.

  8. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    Thanks for all the info folks. Sounds like the AUTO LOAD OF CDM MODULES
    = OFF parameter is what I need to do. It does puzzle me though. We have
    70 identical servers. We NEVER had this issue on NW 6.0 (with SP5) so if
    it was autoloading NWTAPE.CDM we never knew it. But since we upgraded to
    NW 6.5 (SP4) almost every server is having this problem.

    I do see that Backup Exec attempts to UNload NWTAPE on it's own, but it fails
    to do so. Maybe something changed from NW 6.0 to 6.5 where BE was able to
    unload NWTAPE more successfully under NW 6.0 than 6.5 and we just never knew
    it was happening. Purely a guess though.

    "Peter Jam" wrote:

    >Cory:
    >It is an issue with 6.0 also. I have "unload nwtape" in all my
    >autoexec.ncf. I guess Novell thinks we should be using it??
    >Frustrating I know.
    >
    >Peter
    >

    >--

  9. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    "Cory Hug" wrote:

    >This is really more of a NetWare question but I'm hoping somebody here may
    >know the answer. NetWare's own NWTAPE.CDM prevents Backup Exec (9.1) from
    >in-place upgrade. The NW 6.5 upgrade added the NWTAPE.CDM to the STARTUP.NCF.
    > We have removed the LOAD NWTAPE.CDM line from the STARTUP.NCF but it seems
    >some other NLM in NetWare 6.5 is auto-loading NWTAPE.CDM even though we've
    >removed it from STARTUP.NCF. So every time we restart a server we have

    >manually unload NWTAPE and then run BESTART to get BE to start up properly.
    >
    >What could be auto-loading NWTAPE.CDM and how do I stop it from doing so?
    > We never had this problem under NW 6.0. (Same version of BE.)
    >
    >Thanks!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    NWPA.NLM - see http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/s...are/278928.pdf
    PAGE 57

  10. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    Toby Herbert wrote:
    > "Cory Hug" wrote:
    >> This is really more of a NetWare question but I'm hoping somebody here may
    >> know the answer. NetWare's own NWTAPE.CDM prevents Backup Exec (9.1) from
    >> in-place upgrade. The NW 6.5 upgrade added the NWTAPE.CDM to the STARTUP.NCF.
    >> We have removed the LOAD NWTAPE.CDM line from the STARTUP.NCF but it seems
    >> some other NLM in NetWare 6.5 is auto-loading NWTAPE.CDM even though we've
    >> removed it from STARTUP.NCF. So every time we restart a server we have

    >> manually unload NWTAPE and then run BESTART to get BE to start up properly.
    >>
    >> What could be auto-loading NWTAPE.CDM and how do I stop it from doing so?
    >> We never had this problem under NW 6.0. (Same version of BE.)
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > NWPA.NLM - see http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/s...are/278928.pdf
    > PAGE 57

    I would try looking in the autoexec.ncf file to see if is being loaded
    from there, if is then comment out the line using a # or rem. If isn't
    in there either i would just put a line in just before the bestart
    command to unload it i.e unload nwtape

    Hope this helps

    G.

  11. Re: NWTAPE loads automatically on NW 6.5 SP4 server

    It automatically loaded by another NLM. It's located in
    C:\NWSERVER\DRIVERS. Best to delete or rename it there.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread