A drive failure was detected. (2-4623) - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on A drive failure was detected. (2-4623) - Veritas Backup Exec ; L.S., We’re experiencing a very odd problem in our backup environment. The scheduled backup jobs are terminated every day with the following error messages: 1. ##ERR## Media function terminated by keyboard request. 2. ##ERR## A drive failure was detected. (2-4623). ...

  1. A drive failure was detected. (2-4623)

    L.S.,

    We’re experiencing a very odd problem in our backup environment. The scheduled
    backup jobs are terminated every day with the following error messages:

    1. ##ERR## Media function terminated by keyboard request.
    2. ##ERR## A drive failure was detected. (2-4623).

    Besides these error messages we also see a bunch of zero’s when examining
    the sense data. This means that there is no communication between Veritas
    and the SCSI device at a certain moment during the backup operation.

    The backup environment consists of the following components:
    1. HP Storageworks LTO-1 internal tape unit.
    2. HP Proliant ML350G4 with integrated SCSI controller.
    3. Novell NetWare 6.5.
    4. Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 for NetWare backup engine (latest build number).
    5. Several Remote Agents for Backup Exec.

    We’ve tried almost everything to resolve this problem:

    1. We’ve replaced tape unit and the scsi controller with brand new ones.
    2. We’ve updated the firmware of the tape unit, mainboard and scsi controller.
    3. We’ve replaced the SCSI cable including its active terminator. It shouldn’t
    be a problem since the LTO drive includes auto termination.
    4. We’ve updated the drivers with Novell Netware 6.5 to the latest specifications
    of HP.
    5. We’ve updates Novell NetWare with the latest patches including TSAFS.
    6. We’ve completely reinstalled Veritas with the latest build number.
    7. We’ve used HP Tape Tools to determine possible SCSI errors.
    8. And yes tape cleaning has also been applied excessively.

    So, I’ve run most of my test procedures at hardware, software and application
    levels to determine this malfunction. Apparently without any success.

    Does anyone out there have a clue what’s going on in this backup environment
    since I’m running out of suggestions…..

    Oh, I forgot to mention another essential bit of nfo… when we schedule each
    and every NetWare server in separate backup jobs (append) things are working
    just fine. Duh?

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    With kind regards,

    Chon

  2. Re: A drive failure was detected. (2-4623)

    Are you using an LSI controller? There is a known issue with the
    onboard LSI controllers in HP servers:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/278402

    If so, you may need to swap this for an Adaptec controller..

  3. Re: A drive failure was detected. (2-4623)

    Thanks Chris,

    I'm on it.. i'll let you know when and how we resolved this issue with HP.

    With kind regards,
    Chon

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Are you using an LSI controller? There is a known issue with the
    >onboard LSI controllers in HP servers:
    >
    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/278402
    >
    >If so, you may need to swap this for an Adaptec controller..

  4. Re: A drive failure was detected. (2-4623)

    hey Chon,
    Did you resolve your problem?
    I have the identical errors as yours but I am on a IBM e-Sever. This problem
    only began last week and nothing has changed for months.The server is not
    on the internet,so there is no outside contact what so ever.

    Thanks in advance
    Steve

    "Chon de Vries" wrote:

    >Thanks Chris,
    >
    >I'm on it.. i'll let you know when and how we resolved this issue with HP.
    >

    >With kind regards,
    >Chon
    >

    >"Chris" wrote:
    >>Are you using an LSI controller? There is a known issue with the
    >>onboard LSI controllers in HP servers:
    >>
    >>http://support.veritas.com/docs/278402
    >>
    >>If so, you may need to swap this for an Adaptec controller..

+ Reply to Thread