BE 9.1 causing abends - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.1 causing abends - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have Backup Exec installed on a netware 5.1, sp7 server (also running Netshield) - our server abends periodically through the day on the BE client; when we close Netshield, there are no abends. Is there a conflict between the ...

  1. BE 9.1 causing abends

    We have Backup Exec installed on a netware 5.1, sp7 server (also running Netshield)
    - our server abends periodically through the day on the BE client; when we
    close Netshield, there are no abends. Is there a conflict between the two
    programs? Any patches or updates?
    Thanks in advance,
    Beth

  2. Re: BE 9.1 causing abends

    Try excluding sys:\bkupexec from being scanned by NetShield.

    If the server still abends you will probably need to get the updated
    NETSHLD.NLM: http://support.veritas.com/docs/278679.

    Chris

  3. Re: BE 9.1 causing abends

    I excluded bkupexec from the netshield scan but it still abended (twice)
    These abends didn't start happening until I upgraded to BkupExec 9.1.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Try excluding sys:\bkupexec from being scanned by NetShield.
    >
    >If the server still abends you will probably need to get the updated
    >NETSHLD.NLM: http://support.veritas.com/docs/278679.
    >
    >Chris

  4. Re: BE 9.1 causing abends

    Beth wrote:

    > I excluded bkupexec from the netshield scan but it still abended
    > (twice) These abends didn't start happening until I upgraded to
    > BkupExec 9.1.
    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    > > Try excluding sys:\bkupexec from being scanned by NetShield.
    > >
    > > If the server still abends you will probably need to get the updated
    > > NETSHLD.NLM: http://support.veritas.com/docs/278679.
    > >
    > > Chris

    Beth:
    I have been using BE since version 6x and I always close Netshield in
    Pre Op. You can restart it in Post Op if you are concerned. So far I
    have found very little in Netshield as far as viruses, so little to
    worry about closing it for a few hours at night while you do backup.

    Peter
    --

  5. Re: BE 9.1 causing abends

    Peter-
    Sounds like a good plan. I did open an Incident with Netshield since their
    product seems to be causing a bit of grief with our GroupWise server running
    Gwava as well... same error messages as with Backup Exec. Thanks for your
    input.
    Beth

    Peter Jam" wrote:
    >Beth wrote:
    >

    >> I excluded bkupexec from the netshield scan but it still abended
    >> (twice) These abends didn't start happening until I upgraded to
    >> BkupExec 9.1.
    >>
    >> "Chris" wrote:
    >> > Try excluding sys:\bkupexec from being scanned by NetShield.
    >> >
    >> > If the server still abends you will probably need to get the updated
    >> > NETSHLD.NLM: http://support.veritas.com/docs/278679.
    >> >
    >> > Chris
    >> >

    >Beth:
    >I have been using BE since version 6x and I always close Netshield in
    >Pre Op. You can restart it in Post Op if you are concerned. So far I
    >have found very little in Netshield as far as viruses, so little to
    >worry about closing it for a few hours at night while you do backup.
    >
    >Peter
    >--

  6. Re: BE 9.1 causing abends

    FYI-

    Netware 5.1 sp8 - using remote agent
    BE 9 thru 9.1 build 1158-4
    Norton/Symantec versions 8-9 (have not tried 10)
    NOT media server
    Never any abend problems

    I'd go to NW 5.1 sp8 for sure.

    IF NW machine has tape drive, I have little experience to share.

    good luck,
    Brandon Fouts.

    >>> Beth 10/24/2005 10:51 AM >>>

    We have Backup Exec installed on a netware 5.1, sp7 server (also running
    Netshield)
    - our server abends periodically through the day on the BE client; when we
    close Netshield, there are no abends. Is there a conflict between the two
    programs? Any patches or updates?
    Thanks in advance,
    Beth

  7. Re: BE 9.1 causing abends

    Beth wrote:

    > Peter-
    > Sounds like a good plan. I did open an Incident with Netshield since
    > their product seems to be causing a bit of grief with our GroupWise
    > server running Gwava as well... same error messages as with Backup
    > Exec. Thanks for your input.
    > Beth
    >
    > Peter Jam" wrote:
    > > Beth wrote:
    > >

    > >> I excluded bkupexec from the netshield scan but it still abended
    > >> (twice) These abends didn't start happening until I upgraded to
    > >> BkupExec 9.1.

    > updated >> > NETSHLD.NLM: http://support.veritas.com/docs/278679.

    > > Beth:
    > > I have been using BE since version 6x and I always close Netshield
    > > in Pre Op. You can restart it in Post Op if you are concerned. So
    > > far I have found very little in Netshield as far as viruses, so
    > > little to worry about closing it for a few hours at night while you
    > > do backup.
    > >
    > > Peter
    > > --

    Beth and you want to exclude databases from Netshield scanning, at leat
    the PO directorys. right mouse on netshield in the Mcafee Netshield
    Antivirus Console, select properties and the the "Exclusion Tab" the
    the Add button. Your SYS:swap_mem, sys:backout.tts and _admin: should
    already be excluded by default.

    If you run a Database App on a server such as we use MAS90, then I
    exclude that whole directory for example: Volume:mas90\
    Hope that helps with the netshield.
    Peter