compression problems since moving to cluster - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on compression problems since moving to cluster - Veritas Backup Exec ; Wonder if anyone can help me.. before installing a cluster system into our network I never had any problems backing up sys or our data volume. ALl would fit onto one disc 40/80. The volume used to be traditional and ...

  1. compression problems since moving to cluster

    Wonder if anyone can help me.. before installing a cluster system into our
    network I never had any problems backing up sys or our data volume. ALl would
    fit onto one disc 40/80. The volume used to be traditional and is now NSS.

    Now when I try to back up the same amount of data it will not fit onto one
    media tape, I have even tried to set the compression from hardware to software
    as the Hardware compression didnt seem like it was doing anything at all.

    Does any one have any idea why this might be .. and as I said it only has
    started to happen since changing to a cluster.. I have been backing on onto
    one tape for over 3 years and now in the past 2 months I cannot get a single
    backup onto one tape unless I exclude the sys volume.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: compression problems since moving to cluster

    Not sure this will be helpful, but here goes...

    I use tape HW compression - AND Netware file compression (which I have used
    since mid-90s).
    This has always worked fine for me.

    And it sounds like the amount of data may well have increased. double check
    Netware sys volume for sp.exe files - you obviously don't need after
    expanding. Also, see that you only have one backupX in the system directory
    - for the last patch you applied. As you know, these are for roll backs, so
    you could delete after you are happy with the current patch.

    >>> mark 10/24/2005 3:29 AM >>>

    Wonder if anyone can help me.. before installing a cluster system into our
    network I never had any problems backing up sys or our data volume. ALl
    would
    fit onto one disc 40/80. The volume used to be traditional and is now NSS.

    Now when I try to back up the same amount of data it will not fit onto one
    media tape, I have even tried to set the compression from hardware to
    software
    as the Hardware compression didnt seem like it was doing anything at all.

    Does any one have any idea why this might be .. and as I said it only has
    started to happen since changing to a cluster.. I have been backing on onto
    one tape for over 3 years and now in the past 2 months I cannot get a
    single
    backup onto one tape unless I exclude the sys volume.

    Thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread