Compact ALRTHIST.IDX in BE 9.1 for NetWare - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Compact ALRTHIST.IDX in BE 9.1 for NetWare - Veritas Backup Exec ; We had a server that had a weird thing happen that caused a TON of alerts to happen. We've cleared up that issue, but the ALRTHIST.IDX file on the server is very big. I've gone in through the Admin console ...

  1. Compact ALRTHIST.IDX in BE 9.1 for NetWare

    We had a server that had a weird thing happen that caused a TON of alerts
    to happen. We've cleared up that issue, but the ALRTHIST.IDX file on the
    server is very big. I've gone in through the Admin console and deleted all
    the alerts but the ALRTHIST.IDX file won't shrink back down. I've tried
    BESTOP followed by BESTART again and it still won't. Is there a way to compact
    this file back down to a reasonable size now that I've deleted all those
    extraneous alerts?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Compact ALRTHIST.IDX in BE 9.1 for NetWare

    I believe you can just delete it and let BE recreated it next time you
    start it up.

    Maybe save a copy of it first, just in case.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Compact ALRTHIST.IDX in BE 9.1 for NetWare

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >I believe you can just delete it and let BE recreated it next time you
    >start it up.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I gave that a try. In general, you're right,
    but there's a few tricks.

    You have to delete BOTH the alrthist.idx AND the alrthist.dat file. If you
    delete only the .idx file, BE will not recreate just the .idx file and weird
    things happen.

    Also, unload Backup Exec before deleting the files. Otherwise it won't unload
    properly and you can't fix it until you can reboot the server.

  4. Re: Compact ALRTHIST.IDX in BE 9.1 for NetWare

    You are right -- I left out some details.

    Thanks for posting the missing info and glad it all worked out for you.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread