a drop in throughput - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on a drop in throughput - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone experienced an unexplained drop in throughput using BE9 on Netware 6.5 which doesn't happen all the time? For example, I have the same job which runs everyday. It usually takes an average of 4 hours or so. But ...

  1. a drop in throughput

    Has anyone experienced an unexplained drop in throughput using BE9 on
    Netware 6.5 which doesn't happen all the time? For example, I have the same
    job which runs everyday. It usually takes an average of 4 hours or so. But
    there are days where the job would take up to 12 hours to complete. The only
    telltale on the log file is simply the throughput (which I believe is
    calculated AFTER the job is done by dividing the time and bytes written, so
    this info is useless as well).

  2. Re: a drop in throughput

    Are you backing up any remote servers? If so, compare each backup set
    to see which ones are taking longer than they should. Maybe there is
    something happening on the network that is causing the remote backups
    to take longer than normal...?

  3. Re: a drop in throughput

    1- usually depends on how much is backed up - surely you know this.
    (this is the variable I find - doing differential backups)

    2- many tiny <4kb files take longer to backup than large files - seems a
    stretch, let us know what you find.

    3- network problems ? often auto-detection on NIC cards.
    (auto-detection only works for 1gig cards - actually a must)
    (all other lower settings seem to mysteriously decide to re-auto-detect and
    what they do is about as predictable as a roulette wheel - so never use
    auto-detect for <1 gig. And of course make sure duplex is set to match.

    4- could there be some kind of DoS going on?? (Denial of Service)
    Or some other activity - disk compression, virus scanning - I've never seen
    any impact - so again let us know what you may find.

    good luck,
    Brandon Fouts.

    >>> Raoul Watson 10/19/2005 7:29 PM >>>

    Has anyone experienced an unexplained drop in throughput using BE9 on
    Netware 6.5 which doesn't happen all the time? For example, I have the same
    job which runs everyday. It usually takes an average of 4 hours or so. But
    there are days where the job would take up to 12 hours to complete. The
    only
    telltale on the log file is simply the throughput (which I believe is
    calculated AFTER the job is done by dividing the time and bytes written, so
    this info is useless as well).

  4. Re: a drop in throughput

    Thanks..

    "Brandon Fouts" wrote in message
    > 1- usually depends on how much is backed up - surely you know this.
    > (this is the variable I find - doing differential backups)

    As I have stated, it's the same job everyday, full backup, 2 file servers,
    sometimes the larger size finished sooner. We're not talking about 20 or 40
    minutes difference here but a 4 hour job becoming a 13 hour job.

    > 2- many tiny <4kb files take longer to backup than large files - seems a
    > stretch, let us know what you find.

    See above..

    > 3- network problems ? often auto-detection on NIC cards.
    > (auto-detection only works for 1gig cards - actually a must)
    > (all other lower settings seem to mysteriously decide to re-auto-detect

    and
    > what they do is about as predictable as a roulette wheel - so never use
    > auto-detect for <1 gig. And of course make sure duplex is set to match.

    Not sure what you mean by autodetect NIC. No NIC involved.
    The tape library is connected to the server fastSCSI

    > 4- could there be some kind of DoS going on?? (Denial of Service)
    > Or some other activity - disk compression, virus scanning - I've never

    seen
    > any impact - so again let us know what you may find.

    DoS not possible. Other activities, again, we are talking a huge amount of
    difference.

    > good luck,
    > Brandon Fouts.

    > Has anyone experienced an unexplained drop in throughput using BE9 on
    > Netware 6.5 which doesn't happen all the time? For example, I have the

    same
    > job which runs everyday. It usually takes an average of 4 hours or so. But
    > there are days where the job would take up to 12 hours to complete. The
    > only
    > telltale on the log file is simply the throughput (which I believe is
    > calculated AFTER the job is done by dividing the time and bytes written,

    so
    > this info is useless as well).

+ Reply to Thread