High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is load with BE 9.1 for netware is idle.. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is load with BE 9.1 for netware is idle.. - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have 2 Netware 6.0 servers with both the latest service packs 5 on them. Both have the latest build of Backup Exec for Netware 9.1 the latest drivers . Both are running in sequence Symantec AntiVirus Corportate 9.0 on ...

  1. High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is load with BE 9.1 for netware is idle..

    I have 2 Netware 6.0 servers with both the latest service packs 5 on them.
    Both have the latest build of Backup Exec for Netware 9.1 the latest drivers
    . Both are running in sequence Symantec AntiVirus Corportate 9.0 on each
    server. While monitoring these particular servers , the utitlization will
    peak 99 to 100 % every 30 seconds to 2 mins, then stays at that peak for
    30 seconds or more.

    I notice through the Sorton Anti Virus Corporate console on the Netware 6.0
    servers, that its scanning active files from SYS:BKUPEXEC directories at
    the time of high utilization. It seems like the BackupExec 9.1 for Netware
    is doing sometime of routine database check or systems check at this time,
    im not exactly sure. I've check all settings with in the BackupExec 9.1 console
    and couldn't find any option for this. When I unload Backup Exec or Symantec
    Anti Virus Corporate, utilization goes back down to normal CPU levels, betwen
    1 to 9 % utilization levels.

    What is the active interval process and how can I disable it? Is there a
    setting or a command line switch to use on the Netware 6.0 server in conjuction
    with the usual Bestart command to eliviate this high utilization problem?
    This is all why no backups are running and just the SAVC is just monitoring
    files on the server. Any Ideas?...........Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is load with BE 9.1 for netware is idle..

    Don't know about what BE is doing on any sort of time interval other
    than checking the job queue to see if there's work to do. But why not
    exclude it from being scanned altogether?

    -Barry.

  3. Re: High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is load with BE 9.1 for netware is idle..

    "Rafael" wrote in message

    > I have 2 Netware 6.0 servers with both the latest service packs 5 on them.
    > Both have the latest build of Backup Exec for Netware 9.1 the latest

    drivers
    > Both are running in sequence Symantec AntiVirus Corportate 9.0 on each
    > server. While monitoring these particular servers , the utitlization will
    > peak 99 to 100 % every 30 seconds to 2 mins, then stays at that peak for
    > 30 seconds or more.
    >
    > I notice through the Sorton Anti Virus Corporate console on the Netware

    6.0
    > servers, that its scanning active files from SYS:BKUPEXEC directories at
    > the time of high utilization. It seems like the BackupExec 9.1 for Netware
    > is doing sometime of routine database check or systems check at this time,
    > im not exactly sure. I've check all settings with in the BackupExec 9.1

    console
    > and couldn't find any option for this. When I unload Backup Exec or

    Symantec
    > Anti Virus Corporate, utilization goes back down to normal CPU levels,

    betwen
    > 1 to 9 % utilization levels.
    >
    > What is the active interval process and how can I disable it? Is there a
    > setting or a command line switch to use on the Netware 6.0 server in

    conjuction
    > with the usual Bestart command to eliviate this high utilization problem?
    > This is all why no backups are running and just the SAVC is just

    monitoring
    > files on the server. Any Ideas?...........Thanks in advance.

    Use the Norton SSC, unlock your server group, right mouse click all task =>
    Server Real Time rotection and do exclusion on the BE directory. It should
    be excluded because the jobdata get hit every five seconds or so. Or do only
    specific scans of applications and known extensions. But sorry, this does
    not answer your question as to why.

  4. Re: High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is loadwith BE 9.1 for NetWare is idle..

    high utilization - why do you think a problem? You may just be getting
    maximum value out of your HW ;-)

    (my BE 9.1 server always runs this way - and I don't have a virus scanner
    running)

    (BE is notaries for not working with virus scanners They used to work fine,
    but that was years ago. I gave up trying to get virus scanning to work on BE
    media server. I think it is great you got it to work at all.)

    >>> Rafael 10/19/2005 9:24 AM >>>

    I have 2 Netware 6.0 servers with both the latest service packs 5 on them.
    Both have the latest build of Backup Exec for Netware 9.1 the latest
    drivers
    .. Both are running in sequence Symantec AntiVirus Corportate 9.0 on each
    server. While monitoring these particular servers , the utitlization will
    peak 99 to 100 % every 30 seconds to 2 mins, then stays at that peak for
    30 seconds or more.

    I notice through the Sorton Anti Virus Corporate console on the Netware 6.0
    servers, that its scanning active files from SYS:BKUPEXEC directories at
    the time of high utilization. It seems like the BackupExec 9.1 for Netware
    is doing sometime of routine database check or systems check at this time,
    im not exactly sure. I've check all settings with in the BackupExec 9.1
    console
    and couldn't find any option for this. When I unload Backup Exec or
    Symantec
    Anti Virus Corporate, utilization goes back down to normal CPU levels,
    betwen
    1 to 9 % utilization levels.

    What is the active interval process and how can I disable it? Is there a
    setting or a command line switch to use on the Netware 6.0 server in
    conjuction
    with the usual Bestart command to eliviate this high utilization problem?
    This is all why no backups are running and just the SAVC is just monitoring
    files on the server. Any Ideas?...........Thanks in advance.

  5. Re: High utilization when Symantec Anti Virus Corporate is load with BE 9.1 for netware is idle..

    We're seeing very similiar performance issues on NW 65 SP3 with the NetBackup
    client service (bpsrv.nlm version 5.00) and SAV 9.00. Perhaps it is possible
    to exclude the NetBackup directories on SYS from the AV real time scans?

    "Rafael" wrote:

    >I have 2 Netware 6.0 servers with both the latest service packs 5 on them.
    >Both have the latest build of Backup Exec for Netware 9.1 the latest drivers
    >. Both are running in sequence Symantec AntiVirus Corportate 9.0 on each
    >server. While monitoring these particular servers , the utitlization will
    >peak 99 to 100 % every 30 seconds to 2 mins, then stays at that peak for
    >30 seconds or more.
    >
    >I notice through the Sorton Anti Virus Corporate console on the Netware

    6.0
    >servers, that its scanning active files from SYS:BKUPEXEC directories at
    >the time of high utilization. It seems like the BackupExec 9.1 for Netware
    >is doing sometime of routine database check or systems check at this time,
    >im not exactly sure. I've check all settings with in the BackupExec 9.1

    console
    >and couldn't find any option for this. When I unload Backup Exec or Symantec
    >Anti Virus Corporate, utilization goes back down to normal CPU levels, betwen
    >1 to 9 % utilization levels.
    >
    >What is the active interval process and how can I disable it? Is there a
    >setting or a command line switch to use on the Netware 6.0 server in conjuction
    >with the usual Bestart command to eliviate this high utilization problem?
    >This is all why no backups are running and just the SAVC is just monitoring
    >files on the server. Any Ideas?...........Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread