Bkup exec ver 9.1 for netware and ultrium 960 lto3 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Bkup exec ver 9.1 for netware and ultrium 960 lto3 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have 3 x ML370G4 servers running NW6.5sp2 with ultrium LTO3 drives. 1 x server backups fine no problems. 2 x other servers fail to backup, they can see the drives all 3 are set up the same way but ...

  1. Bkup exec ver 9.1 for netware and ultrium 960 lto3

    I have 3 x ML370G4 servers running NW6.5sp2 with ultrium LTO3 drives. 1 x
    server backups fine no problems. 2 x other servers fail to backup, they can
    see the drives all 3 are set up the same way but the 2 x that are not working
    correctly get to about 5gb or so and then cancel saying hardware error, change
    media or scsi cable. I swapped drives and cabling and the same happens ive
    placed a drive that is failing into the server that is working and it works
    placed the working drive from working server in 1 of the others and it fails
    in the same as the others.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is ive proved the drives
    are fine, is it backup exec?? Is it the NW6.5 build?? please any ideas??

  2. Re: Bkup exec ver 9.1 for netware and ultrium 960 lto3

    In article <43561d46@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Gareth Pitt wrote:

    > Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is...

    You answered your own question:

    > I have 3 x ML370G4 servers...

    I have several ML370s and found that they aren't all equal. Some work
    great, while others are snails. All hw is exactly the same -- same
    firmware, same OS, same patches, etc. But one box will work well while
    the other identically configure box doesn't. Our solution here was to
    by Dell. I know that doesn't help you much, but just relaying my ML370
    experiences.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Bkup exec ver 9.1 for netware and ultrium 960 lto3

    I can report that BE 9.1 build 1158-4 works with NW 6.5 sp3 and sp4
    DL380s G2, G3, G4

    HW seems fine, then double check FirmWare...

    1- update firmware on your ML machines - hp web-site will help.
    (call hp if you need help - have serial number ready - they just need one,
    but you might need to pick one that is <3 years old.

    2- If problems persist, then software upgrades are in order.
    (I think you can go straight to sp4, but do your home work.)
    (one hint - UNINSTALL iManager before upgrade - from all servers.)

    PS- I think Dell and gateway for home users .... IBM, hp/compaq, Sun for
    business machines.

    You bought hp, you get phone support - use it.

    >>> Gareth Pitt 10/19/2005 3:17 AM >>>

    I have 3 x ML370G4 servers running NW6.5sp2 with ultrium LTO3 drives. 1 x
    server backups fine no problems. 2 x other servers fail to backup, they can
    see the drives all 3 are set up the same way but the 2 x that are not
    working
    correctly get to about 5gb or so and then cancel saying hardware error,
    change
    media or scsi cable. I swapped drives and cabling and the same happens ive
    placed a drive that is failing into the server that is working and it works
    placed the working drive from working server in 1 of the others and it
    fails
    in the same as the others.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is ive proved the drives
    are fine, is it backup exec?? Is it the NW6.5 build?? please any ideas??

+ Reply to Thread