Could not attach to dataserver - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Could not attach to dataserver - Veritas Backup Exec ; When I try to do a full backup I get the following error: Counting the number of devices that will be processed. Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File /S2/SYS: will be skipped. Could not attach to ...

  1. Could not attach to dataserver

    When I try to do a full backup I get the following error:

    Counting the number of devices that will be processed.
    Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File
    /S2/SYS: will be skipped.
    Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File
    /S2/VOL1: will be skipped.
    Could not attach to dataserver S3. Selections for S3.NetWare File
    /S3/SYS: will be skipped.
    Could not attach to dataserver S3. Selections for S3.NetWare File
    /S3/VOL1: will be skipped.
    Found 4 device(s).

    I am running Backup Exec for NetWare Servers version 9.1 1158.4
    It is on NetWare server S4 that is running NetWare 6 SP5.
    Servers S2 and S3 are running NetWare 6.5 SP4. They have not backed up since
    they were upgraded to SP4, but they were having the same problem for a few
    days before that.
    Backup Exec doesn't seem to have any problem backing up servers S4 (NW 6
    SP5) which it is on, or server ADMIN1 (NW 6 SP5).
    All of the servers are in the same NDS tree and are physically located right
    next to each other.
    No settings have been changed on S2 or S3, other than the upgrading of the
    service pack and taking that off is not a viable option, nor do I feel that
    is the problem, since this problem started before the service pack was applied.
    I am fairly new to Novell, so if I need to check permissions for Backup Exec,
    please let me know where and how. I have searched for help to this problem
    on the internet, but the only thing even close to this problem involved servers
    in a different tree, which I don't have. The solution was installing Backup
    Exec 9.1 1158.4, which I did, to no avail.
    Thank you for your help.

    Randall Summers

  2. Re: Could not attach to dataserver

    The only thing I can think of is that there may be problems with name
    resolution between the media and remote servers. Check that you can
    ping by name in both directions and update the hosts files on all
    servers.

  3. Re: Could not attach to dataserver

    have your resolved this problem yet.

    "R. Summers" wrote:

    >When I try to do a full backup I get the following error:
    >
    >Counting the number of devices that will be processed.
    >Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File
    >/S2/SYS: will be skipped.
    >Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File
    >/S2/VOL1: will be skipped.
    >Could not attach to dataserver S3. Selections for S3.NetWare File
    >/S3/SYS: will be skipped.
    >Could not attach to dataserver S3. Selections for S3.NetWare File
    >/S3/VOL1: will be skipped.
    >Found 4 device(s).
    >
    >I am running Backup Exec for NetWare Servers version 9.1 1158.4
    >It is on NetWare server S4 that is running NetWare 6 SP5.
    >Servers S2 and S3 are running NetWare 6.5 SP4. They have not backed up since
    >they were upgraded to SP4, but they were having the same problem for a few
    >days before that.
    >Backup Exec doesn't seem to have any problem backing up servers S4 (NW 6
    >SP5) which it is on, or server ADMIN1 (NW 6 SP5).
    >All of the servers are in the same NDS tree and are physically located right
    >next to each other.
    >No settings have been changed on S2 or S3, other than the upgrading of the
    >service pack and taking that off is not a viable option, nor do I feel that
    >is the problem, since this problem started before the service pack was applied.
    >I am fairly new to Novell, so if I need to check permissions for Backup

    Exec,
    >please let me know where and how. I have searched for help to this problem
    >on the internet, but the only thing even close to this problem involved

    servers
    >in a different tree, which I don't have. The solution was installing Backup
    >Exec 9.1 1158.4, which I did, to no avail.
    >Thank you for your help.
    >
    >Randall Summers

  4. Re: Could not attach to dataserver

    Hello All:

    I have been having the same problem. BENW 9.1.1158.4, and NW 6.0 SP5 servers.
    The primary server backs itself up just fine, but produces the "Could not
    attach to dataserver" message when trying to backup another NetWare 6.0 SP5
    server, and also gives the same message when trying to backup a Windows 2000
    server.

    Has any progress been made on this issue?

    Thanks...

    Peter

    "Jamie" wrote:

    >have your resolved this problem yet.
    >

    >"R. Summers" wrote:
    >>
    >>When I try to do a full backup I get the following error:
    >>
    >>Counting the number of devices that will be processed.
    >>Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File
    >>/S2/SYS: will be skipped.
    >>Could not attach to dataserver S2. Selections for S2.NetWare File
    >>/S2/VOL1: will be skipped.
    >>Could not attach to dataserver S3. Selections for S3.NetWare File
    >>/S3/SYS: will be skipped.
    >>Could not attach to dataserver S3. Selections for S3.NetWare File
    >>/S3/VOL1: will be skipped.
    >>Found 4 device(s).
    >>
    >>I am running Backup Exec for NetWare Servers version 9.1 1158.4
    >>It is on NetWare server S4 that is running NetWare 6 SP5.
    >>Servers S2 and S3 are running NetWare 6.5 SP4. They have not backed up

    since
    >>they were upgraded to SP4, but they were having the same problem for a

    few
    >>days before that.
    >>Backup Exec doesn't seem to have any problem backing up servers S4 (NW

    6
    >>SP5) which it is on, or server ADMIN1 (NW 6 SP5).
    >>All of the servers are in the same NDS tree and are physically located

    right
    >>next to each other.
    >>No settings have been changed on S2 or S3, other than the upgrading of

    the
    >>service pack and taking that off is not a viable option, nor do I feel

    that
    >>is the problem, since this problem started before the service pack was

    applied.
    >>I am fairly new to Novell, so if I need to check permissions for Backup

    >Exec,
    >>please let me know where and how. I have searched for help to this problem
    >>on the internet, but the only thing even close to this problem involved

    >servers
    >>in a different tree, which I don't have. The solution was installing Backup
    >>Exec 9.1 1158.4, which I did, to no avail.
    >>Thank you for your help.
    >>
    >>Randall Summers

  5. Re: Could not attach to dataserver

    Two things to check:

    1. Name resolution: can you ping by server name in BOTH directions? If
    not, update the hosts files on all servers and then try again.

    2. Are you running the same version of BE on your remote servers? Check
    sys:\bkupexec\version.doc for details - it should be the same
    version/build as your media (primary) server.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread