Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize - Veritas Backup Exec ; My Backup Exec will not load. I keep getting the following error: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize Everything was working fine until about a week ago. We are using BackupExec 9.0.4202 build....

  1. Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    My Backup Exec will not load. I keep getting the following error:

    Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Everything was working fine until about a week ago.

    We are using BackupExec 9.0.4202 build.

  2. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Sage wrote:

    > My Backup Exec will not load. I keep getting the following error:
    >
    > Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize
    >
    > Everything was working fine until about a week ago.
    >
    > We are using BackupExec 9.0.4202 build.

    This could be caused by port 10000 being in use - you may want to use
    tcpcon to check this. Otherwise a server reboot will probably resolve
    this problem..

  3. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Sage
    > Nope. I ran TCPMON and pot10000 is not in use. I have rebooted about 20
    > times and have had no luck. I even tried a different SCSI cable between
    > the resource server and the tape library.

    Have you checked out:

    Also, you say "Everything was working fine until about a week ago." -
    what happened a week ago? Anything change on the server - SP applied,
    tape device changed, etc.......

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Sage
    > About a week ago, one of my regualrly scheduled FULL tape backups took an
    > extraordinarily long time to run that I ended up having to cancel the

    backup.

    Sounds to me like there's something left "in the loop" after this bit.
    Did the job cancel correctly before you did the BESTOP? Could well be
    that the drive databases got corrupted in some way. It might be worth
    stopping BE and renaming the \BKUPEXEC\MM directory, starting BE again
    and letting it recreate the drive databases from scratch (though this
    means you'll lose your media pools, etc...)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  5. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    sage
    > MIchael, I appreciate all of your thoughts on my problem because I am beating
    > my head against a wall w/ this one and wasting a lot of time. Yes the job
    > canceled correctly but took a long time to do so. I tried your suggestion
    > of stopping BE, renaming the MM directory, and then restarting BE. I still
    > got the 1004 ndmpd error while it was trying to load. Therefore no new MM
    > directory was created.

    Ack!
    Umm, have you tried stopping BE, turning the tape drive off (leave it
    for a few mins), then turning it back on & restarting BE (or even
    downing the server during this)?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Sage wrote:
    >

    >> My Backup Exec will not load. I keep getting the following error:
    >>
    >> Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize
    >>
    >> Everything was working fine until about a week ago.
    >>
    >> We are using BackupExec 9.0.4202 build.

    >This could be caused by port 10000 being in use - you may want to use
    >tcpcon to check this. Otherwise a server reboot will probably resolve
    >this problem..

    Nope. I ran TCPMON and pot10000 is not in use. I have rebooted about 20
    times and have had no luck. I even tried a different SCSI cable between
    the resource server and the tape library.

  7. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    >Nope. I ran TCPMON and pot10000 is not in use. I have rebooted about 20
    >times and have had no luck. I even tried a different SCSI cable between
    >the resource server and the tape library.

    I meant tcpcon

  8. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Michael wrote:
    >Sage
    >> Nope. I ran TCPMON and pot10000 is not in use. I have rebooted about

    20
    >> times and have had no luck. I even tried a different SCSI cable between
    >> the resource server and the tape library.

    >Have you checked out:
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/252915.htm
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/248702.htm
    >
    >Also, you say "Everything was working fine until about a week ago." -
    >what happened a week ago? Anything change on the server - SP applied,
    >tape device changed, etc.......
    >
    >Michael

    MIchael,
    Yes... I have seen both of those documents. I think I have exhauseted every
    internet search that I can on this one. LOL. My tape library is set to
    random mode. And when I ran the LIST STORAGE ADAPTERS command, I do see
    my tape drive/library listed. Nothing changed on the server. About a week
    ago, one of my regualrly scheduled FULL tape backups took an extraordinarily
    long time to run that I ended up having to cancel the backup. I unloaded
    BackupExec w/ a BESTOP and tried loading it again w/ a BESTART and it seemed
    to take a long time going through the loading of each module (we are talking
    more than a few minutes for each one to load where it used to load pretty
    quickly). Then when it gets to the loading of NDMPD.NLM I get the same error
    after it trying to load for about 10 minutes.

  9. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    sage
    > Ok... just performed your latest suggestion and I am still having the same
    > problem. :-(

    Well I'm ou, sorry - suggest you give Veritas/Symantec a call...

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  10. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    sage
    > Thanks again Michael...

    np!

    > I think I may just reinstall from scratch before
    > paying to call Veritas for them to just probably tell me do the same thing.

    *grin* Probably wouldn't hurt

    > Take care!

    You too - hope it gets sorted

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  11. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Michael wrote:
    >Sounds to me like there's something left "in the loop" after this bit.
    >Did the job cancel correctly before you did the BESTOP? Could well be
    >that the drive databases got corrupted in some way. It might be worth
    >stopping BE and renaming the \BKUPEXEC\MM directory, starting BE again
    >and letting it recreate the drive databases from scratch (though this
    >means you'll lose your media pools, etc...)

    MIchael, I appreciate all of your thoughts on my problem because I am beating
    my head against a wall w/ this one and wasting a lot of time. Yes the job
    canceled correctly but took a long time to do so. I tried your suggestion
    of stopping BE, renaming the MM directory, and then restarting BE. I still
    got the 1004 ndmpd error while it was trying to load. Therefore no new MM
    directory was created.

  12. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Michael wrote:
    >sage
    >> MIchael, I appreciate all of your thoughts on my problem because I am

    beating
    >> my head against a wall w/ this one and wasting a lot of time. Yes the

    job
    >> canceled correctly but took a long time to do so. I tried your suggestion
    >> of stopping BE, renaming the MM directory, and then restarting BE. I

    still
    >> got the 1004 ndmpd error while it was trying to load. Therefore no new

    MM
    >> directory was created.

    >Ack!
    >Umm, have you tried stopping BE, turning the tape drive off (leave it
    >for a few mins), then turning it back on & restarting BE (or even
    >downing the server during this)?
    >
    >Michael

    Ok... just performed your latest suggestion and I am still having the same
    problem. :-(

  13. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    >Michael
    >Well I'm out, sorry - suggest you give Veritas/Symantec a call...

    Thanks again Michael... I think I may just reinstall from scratch before
    paying to call Veritas for them to just probably tell me do the same thing.
    Take care!

  14. Re: Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize

    Try this besure you verify that port 10000 is not being used . alos could
    be hardware issue
    Document ID: 265925
    265925 E-Mail this document to a colleague
    After starting VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for NetWare Servers with the
    BESTART command, a SureStart error message appears stating that another application
    is using communications port 10000. Port analysis utilities determine that
    port 10000 is actually not in use.
    Exact Error Message
    Error 1004: Timeout waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize. Port 10000 is used
    by another application

    Details:
    After receiving the above error message, using a port analysis utility (for
    example, TCPCON.NLM or TCPTEST.NLM) will show that no other application is
    using port 10000.

    Version 9.1 added code to pre-check port 10000 on all IP addresses on the
    server. Revision 9.1.1067.2 added the -!X switch. Adding the -!X switch to
    the BKUPEXEC.NLM load line in the BESTART.NCF file causes the pre-check code
    to ignore the return code that indicates port 10,000 is in use. If port 10,000
    is actually in use, Backup Exec will subsequently fail when NDMPD really
    connects to port 10,000.

    VERITAS Software has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present
    in earlier versions of the product(s) cited at the end of this article. VERITAS
    Software is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
    There are no plans to address this issue by way of a patch or hotfix in earlier
    versions of the software at the present time. However, the issue has been
    addressed in the revision of the product specified at the end of this article.

    Please contact your VERITAS Sales representative or the VERITAS Sales group
    for upgrade information including upgrade eligibility to the release containing
    the resolution for this issue. For information on how to contact VERITAS
    Sales, please see http://www.veritas.com .

    Related Documents:

    "Sage" wrote:

    >My Backup Exec will not load. I keep getting the following error:
    >
    >Error 1004 - A Timeout occured waiting for NDMPD.NLM to initialize
    >
    >Everything was working fine until about a week ago.
    >
    >We are using BackupExec 9.0.4202 build.

+ Reply to Thread