BE cannot see tqape drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE cannot see tqape drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; RE: BE4NW 8.5 Ex(3.2) Customer has a Dell 4400 with a Perc3/DI HA and an AIC7880 HA. For years this configuration has been running with a Dell DDS4 tape drive hanging off the AIC7880. Just installed a Certance Ultrium 2 ...

  1. BE cannot see tqape drive

    RE: BE4NW 8.5 Ex(3.2)

    Customer has a Dell 4400 with a Perc3/DI HA and an AIC7880 HA. For years
    this configuration has been running with a Dell DDS4 tape drive hanging
    off the AIC7880.

    Just installed a Certance Ultrium 2 External tape drive onto channel 1 of
    the Perc3. SCSI utilities "see" the tape drive on channel 1 as device #6.
    All seems well in SCSI-land.

    BE Partition mangement does NOT see this drive, only the DDS4 drive. I've
    updated the system BIOS to A11, the Perc3 BIOS to 2.8 (current builds as
    of today). I've tried loading/unloading NWTAPE, and/or loading a second instance
    of AD_ASPI (no joy there). Each time I "scan for new devices". Nothing I
    do seems to "reveal" this new tape drive to BE for partitioning and use.
    Missing device driver or what?

    Thanks,
    Donovan

  2. Re: BE cannot see tqape drive

    In article <42f13c2b@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Donovan wrote:
    > I've tried loading/unloading NWTAPE

    You don't want to use NWTAPE.CDM or SCSI2TP.CDM with Backup Exec.
    Backup Exec has it's own CDM, BECDM.CDM. Use that instead.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: BE cannot see tqape drive

    NOBODY? H e l l o Veritas, this is your customer calling .....

    "Donovan " wrote:

    >RE: BE4NW 8.5 Ex(3.2)
    >
    >Customer has a Dell 4400 with a Perc3/DI HA and an AIC7880 HA. For years
    >this configuration has been running with a Dell DDS4 tape drive hanging
    >off the AIC7880.
    >
    >Just installed a Certance Ultrium 2 External tape drive onto channel 1 of
    >the Perc3. SCSI utilities "see" the tape drive on channel 1 as device #6.
    >All seems well in SCSI-land.
    >
    >BE Partition mangement does NOT see this drive, only the DDS4 drive. I've
    >updated the system BIOS to A11, the Perc3 BIOS to 2.8 (current builds as
    >of today). I've tried loading/unloading NWTAPE, and/or loading a second

    instance
    >of AD_ASPI (no joy there). Each time I "scan for new devices". Nothing I
    >do seems to "reveal" this new tape drive to BE for partitioning and use.
    >Missing device driver or what?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Donovan

  4. Re: BE cannot see tqape drive

    Donovan
    > NOBODY? H e l l o Veritas, this is your customer calling .....

    Unfortunately, you're facing 3 problems here:
    1. These newsgroups are not officially monitored or supported by Veritas
    (I'm saying officially, because you *may* find current/ex employees
    posting in here under psuedonyms - but given point #3, you're probably
    out of luck there too)
    2. Looks like no-one perusing this forum can help you, and
    3. Your version of BE hasn't been supported by Veritas for over a year
    and a quarter, so opening a case with them won't help much either ....

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"