Corrupt files - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Corrupt files - Veritas Backup Exec ; In the past two weeks i have noticed that alot of my jobs are erroring. I'm on netware 6.0 sp5 and Backup Exec V 9.0 4.202 with the two patches that came out afterwards to prevent server abends with the ...

  1. Corrupt files

    In the past two weeks i have noticed that alot of my jobs are erroring.
    I'm on netware 6.0 sp5 and Backup Exec V 9.0 4.202 with the two patches
    that came out afterwards to prevent server abends with the remote
    client. The errors are .dwg files that it says are corrupt on the media,
    I check out the files and they are fine on the network.
    The only change i have made to my network was installing Symantec Anti
    viurs Corporate edition V 10.0.1.1000, previous version was version
    9.0.3.1000 and i never had an error. The error is not consistant and
    does not happen every day.

  2. Re: Corrupt files

    Andrew Mallette wrote:
    > In the past two weeks i have noticed that alot of my jobs are erroring.

    >I'm on netware 6.0 sp5 and Backup Exec V 9.0 4.202 with the two patches

    >that came out afterwards to prevent server abends with the remote
    >client. The errors are .dwg files that it says are corrupt on the media,

    >I check out the files and they are fine on the network.
    > The only change i have made to my network was installing Symantec Anti

    >viurs Corporate edition V 10.0.1.1000, previous version was version
    >9.0.3.1000 and i never had an error. The error is not consistant and
    >does not happen every day.

    Hi,

    on my experience, AV should be closed before BE runs any jobs: I have seen
    server abends,
    corrupt/useless backup, server hang, scheduler hang etc...
    I use Veritas, but nevertheless: Stop AV on BE server in the policy/job description.

    Good luck

  3. Re: Corrupt files

    And how is that done? I was told by Symantec there is no unload command or way to shutdown/pause AV for a backup routine to run. Maybe stuffkey? But will that work on Netware 6.5.3?

    >>> Claus B.C. 7/27/2005 7:11 PM >>>

    > In the past two weeks i have noticed that alot of my jobs are erroring.

    >I'm on netware 6.0 sp5 and Backup Exec V 9.0 4.202 with the two patches

    >that came out afterwards to prevent server abends with the remote
    >client. The errors are .dwg files that it says are corrupt on the media,

    >I check out the files and they are fine on the network.
    > The only change i have made to my network was installing Symantec Anti

    >viurs Corporate edition V 10.0.1.1000, previous version was version
    >9.0.3.1000 and i never had an error. The error is not consistant and
    >does not happen every day.

    Hi,

    on my experience, AV should be closed before BE runs any jobs: I have seen
    server abends,
    corrupt/useless backup, server hang, scheduler hang etc...
    I use Veritas, but nevertheless: Stop AV on BE server in the policy/job description.

    Good luck

  4. Svar: Re: Corrupt files

    I use Veritas BE91 in combination with McAfee Netshield, in my Policy definition, Pre/Post Options, I just add "unload netshld", 30 s delay.

    Yes I am on NW653.

    >>> Timothy Fitch 29-07-2005 21:15 >>>

    And how is that done? I was told by Symantec there is no unload command or way to shutdown/pause AV for a backup routine to run. Maybe stuffkey? But will that work on Netware 6.5.3?

    >>> Claus B.C. 7/27/2005 7:11 PM >>>

    > In the past two weeks i have noticed that alot of my jobs are erroring.

    >I'm on netware 6.0 sp5 and Backup Exec V 9.0 4.202 with the two patches

    >that came out afterwards to prevent server abends with the remote
    >client. The errors are .dwg files that it says are corrupt on the media,

    >I check out the files and they are fine on the network.
    > The only change i have made to my network was installing Symantec Anti

    >viurs Corporate edition V 10.0.1.1000, previous version was version
    >9.0.3.1000 and i never had an error. The error is not consistant and
    >does not happen every day.

    Hi,

    on my experience, AV should be closed before BE runs any jobs: I have seen
    server abends,
    corrupt/useless backup, server hang, scheduler hang etc...
    I use Veritas, but nevertheless: Stop AV on BE server in the policy/job description.

    Good luck

  5. Re: Svar: Re: Corrupt files

    I changed the way the Anti Virus scans files, I changed the default
    behavior to only scan "modified (scan on create)" instead of the default
    of "accessed or modified (scan on create, open, move, copy or run)"
    Since i have made this change i have not run into amy more corrupt files
    on media errors.

    Claus B.C. wrote:
    > I use Veritas BE91 in combination with McAfee Netshield, in my Policy
    > definition, Pre/Post Options, I just add "unload netshld", 30 s delay.
    >
    > Yes I am on NW653.

    > And how is that done? I was told by Symantec there is no unload command
    > or way to shutdown/pause AV for a backup routine to run. Maybe
    > stuffkey? But will that work on Netware 6.5.3?

  6. Re: Corrupt files

    I use Avanti Technology's TaskMaster Lite (www.avanti-tech.com), which
    gives me extensive scripting and scheduling capabilities. You should be
    able to do the same thing with stuffkey, an .ncf file and cron.

    TID 2948742 has examples.

    Timothy Fitch wrote:
    > And how is that done? I was told by Symantec there is no unload command
    > or way to shutdown/pause AV for a backup routine to run. Maybe
    > stuffkey? But will that work on Netware 6.5.3?

+ Reply to Thread