Very Slow Restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Very Slow Restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a Dedicated NW5.1SP7 Backup Server that has 4 Tape Drives Attached (Two DLT1 Drives and two LTO2 Drives) I am running the Latest Build of BE 9.1 (1156).... I have tweaked the TCP settings as requested by Veritas... ...

  1. Very Slow Restore

    I have a Dedicated NW5.1SP7 Backup Server that has 4 Tape Drives Attached
    (Two DLT1 Drives and two LTO2 Drives)
    I am running the Latest Build of BE 9.1 (1156).... I have tweaked the TCP
    settings as requested by Veritas...
    The problem I am having is that it is taking 4 hours to Catalog a Tape containing
    48 GB of Data then to make matters worse it's
    taking 3.5 hours to restore a single 8kb file from the just cataloged Tape...
    Server Utilization is running at 93%... I am also restoring to the Deicated
    Tape Server....
    This Server only function is Backup and Restore. Any Ideals besides Reformatting
    and installing Win2003 Server and BE for Windows 10.x ?

    Dennis

  2. Re: Very Slow Restore

    Dennis
    > I have a Dedicated NW5.1SP7 Backup Server that has 4 Tape Drives Attached
    > (Two DLT1 Drives and two LTO2 Drives)

    > I have tweaked the TCP settings as requested by Veritas...

    Which TCP settings are those? If you're restoring locally (i.e.
    restoring data from a tape to the local backup/media server), then
    TCP/IP shouldn't even come into it.

    > The problem I am having is that it is taking 4 hours to Catalog a Tape containing
    > 48 GB of Data

    If you're doing a full catalog of a tape (i.e. without using the on
    media catalogs), then it's going to take a long time since the software
    has to read in every single block on the tape and reconstruct catalogs
    for the tape.

    > then to make matters worse it's
    > taking 3.5 hours to restore a single 8kb file from the just cataloged Tape...
    > Server Utilization is running at 93%...

    Ouch - now that's just not working right. In your besvr.cfg file, is the
    line "Use_fast_file_access" set to 1? Are you restoring from a backup
    set that spanned tapes?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Very Slow Restore

    I know this thread is almost 2 years old but it helped me so I thought I'd
    mention that to others with similar problems.

    Editing the "Use_fast_file_access" set to 1" in the BESVR.CFG file fixed the
    problem. What was taking hours to restore now took only 7 minutes.

    THANKS!!!!

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1d3c975b28733e7d9897bf@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Dennis

    > Ouch - now that's just not working right. In your besvr.cfg file, is the
    > line "Use_fast_file_access" set to 1? Are you restoring from a backup
    > set that spanned tapes?
    >
    > Michael

+ Reply to Thread