BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all Is anone using this combination or close to it and have it working with IDR ? Backup Exec 9.1 for netware Netware 6.5 Support Pack 3 HP Storageworks DAT72 bootable tape IBM225 server with onboard RAID plus extra ...

  1. BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    ?

    Backup Exec 9.1 for netware
    Netware 6.5 Support Pack 3
    HP Storageworks DAT72 bootable tape
    IBM225 server with onboard RAID plus extra Ultra160 for Tape drive

    I'm currently testing this combo with the bundled Yosemite Tapeware to see
    if the OBDR (One button disaster recovery) works.

    Currently all hardware functions OK but having issues with the recovery
    phase is SP3 installed .... only seems to work on an unpatched netware
    install !

    Thanks in advance

    Andrew Kennard

  2. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Andrew
    > I'm currently testing this combo with the bundled Yosemite Tapeware to see
    > if the OBDR (One button disaster recovery) works.

    Ummm, how does Tapeware come into this? AFAIK Tapeware doesn't integrate
    with BE. If you're having problems with BE or the IDR option, then
    please provide some more information in here. But if you're having
    problems with Tapeware, I'd be looking to Yosemite for support...

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Michael

    Thanks for your reply

    Tapeware is bundled with the HP drive and I am indeed dealing with
    HP/Yosemite about the problems we are having. The main reason we bought the
    drive was because of the OBDR feature but due to Tapeware issues with NW6.5
    once any support pack is installed it fails to restore a server. HP are
    trying to help but are at the mercy of Yosemite fixing the problem. I found
    on a HP web page that three other pieces of backup software support HP OBDR
    one of which is Backup Exec.

    My question for this group really is anyone sucessfully using BE9.1 with a
    HP DAT 72 to backup AND using OBDR able to restore a Netware 6.5 Support
    pack 3 server ?

    If we get completely stuck with HP/Yosemite then we are looking for other
    backup software to provide the complete OBDR solution using the HP DAT 72
    drive

    Thanks in advance

    Andrew Kennard

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1d2dcf6057f71159897af@news.support.verita s.com...
    > Andrew
    >> I'm currently testing this combo with the bundled Yosemite Tapeware to
    >> see
    >> if the OBDR (One button disaster recovery) works.

    > Ummm, how does Tapeware come into this? AFAIK Tapeware doesn't integrate
    > with BE. If you're having problems with BE or the IDR option, then
    > please provide some more information in here. But if you're having
    > problems with Tapeware, I'd be looking to Yosemite for support...
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Andrew

    Thanks for the explanation - had me a bit confused there, couldn't quite
    see how BE & Tapeware were related

    > I found on a HP web page that three other pieces of backup software support
    > HP OBDR one of which is Backup Exec.

    Ah, do you mean this page?:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...drs/index.html

    That says:
    "Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 now supports OBDR with Windows 2000 and
    Windows Server 2003"

    Note that this is *not* Backup Exec for NetWare - but Backup Exec for
    Windows. I believe that if OBDR is on your device and a full backup is
    made with the option to make the tape bootable (see the Admin guide),
    then it should be ok - I could be wrong, it's a long time since I played
    with OBDR...

    > to restore a Netware 6.5 Support pack 3 server ?

    BTW, another consideration here is how did you install NW6.5SP3? If you
    already had a NW6.5 server that you just applied SP3 to, then no problem
    - however, if you did a completely new install of NW6.5 from the SP3
    overlay CD, then that's OES and as yet it's unsupported by BE..

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  5. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Michael

    Thanks for the reply

    I haven't actually got Backup Exec + IDR yet I was asking the questions
    prior to purchase so as to try and avoid the problems we have had with the
    bundled Tapeware

    As I uderstand it, what you are saying is that if I do a fresh NW6.5 install
    from Orig CD then install SP3 then install BE9.1+IDR I should be able to
    backup the server onto the HP DAT 72, wipe the server and then use the HP
    OBDR/BE to restore it again ?

    Is it possible to get demo versions of BE9.1+IDR to test this with ?

    Thqanks again

    Andrew

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1d2f5fe6c4a689e39897b5@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Andrew
    >
    > Thanks for the explanation - had me a bit confused there, couldn't quite
    > see how BE & Tapeware were related
    >
    >> I found on a HP web page that three other pieces of backup software
    >> support
    >> HP OBDR one of which is Backup Exec.

    > Ah, do you mean this page?:
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...drs/index.html
    >
    > That says:
    > "Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 now supports OBDR with Windows 2000 and
    > Windows Server 2003"
    >
    > Note that this is *not* Backup Exec for NetWare - but Backup Exec for
    > Windows. I believe that if OBDR is on your device and a full backup is
    > made with the option to make the tape bootable (see the Admin guide),
    > then it should be ok - I could be wrong, it's a long time since I played
    > with OBDR...
    >
    >> to restore a Netware 6.5 Support pack 3 server ?

    > BTW, another consideration here is how did you install NW6.5SP3? If you
    > already had a NW6.5 server that you just applied SP3 to, then no problem
    > - however, if you did a completely new install of NW6.5 from the SP3
    > overlay CD, then that's OES and as yet it's unsupported by BE..
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  6. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Andrew
    > As I uderstand it, what you are saying is that if I do a fresh NW6.5 install
    > from Orig CD then install SP3 then install BE9.1+IDR I should be able to
    > backup the server onto the HP DAT 72, wipe the server and then use the HP
    > OBDR/BE to restore it again ?

    The install bit's right, but I don't *think* you need IDR - I think you
    should just be able to make a bootable tape as part of a full backup and
    then use the OBDR to restore - again, it's quite some time since I
    played with bootable tapes!

    > Is it possible to get demo versions of BE9.1+IDR to test this with ?

    You can't demo IDR unfortunately, but to demo the rest of it, just
    download the latest build of BE9.1 from the Veritas support website and
    install in evaluation mode.

    > Thqanks again

    np

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  7. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Michael

    I've now downloaded the demo BE9.1 and installed it on a fresh NW65 (Orig CD
    & then SP3 install)

    There doesn't seem much in the way of 'positive' settings for bootable tapes
    ? just one burried in the options menu which I set to make tape bootable if
    bootable device availible.

    I then did a full backup of the NFS and NDS onto the tape which did not seem
    to ask me If I wanted this tape to be bootable ? I was expecting some kind
    of "full server disater recovey" type backup option ?? because it would it
    not need to backup the Novell DOS boot partition as well ?

    I then deleted the disk partitions using the RAID controller sofware and
    tried to boot from the tape. I chose the tape as the boot device but I said
    there was no bootable OS on the tape

    Perhaps I do need the IDR option ??

    Thanks again

    Andrew

    "Michael" wrote in message
    > Andrew
    >> As I uderstand it, what you are saying is that if I do a fresh NW6.5
    >> install from Orig CD then install SP3 then install BE9.1+IDR I should be
    >> able to backup the server onto the HP DAT 72, wipe the server and then
    >> use the HP OBDR/BE to restore it again ?

    > The install bit's right, but I don't *think* you need IDR - I think you
    > should just be able to make a bootable tape as part of a full backup and
    > then use the OBDR to restore - again, it's quite some time since I played
    > with bootable tapes!
    >
    >> Is it possible to get demo versions of BE9.1+IDR to test this with ?

    > You can't demo IDR unfortunately, but to demo the rest of it, just
    > download the latest build of BE9.1 from the Veritas support website and
    > install in evaluation mode.
    >
    >> Thqanks again

    > np
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  8. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Andrew
    > There doesn't seem much in the way of 'positive' settings for bootable tapes
    > ? just one burried in the options menu which I set to make tape bootable if
    > bootable device availible.

    That's right - for now, it's probably best to set that to "always"

    > I then did a full backup of the NFS and NDS onto the tape which did not seem
    > to ask me If I wanted this tape to be bootable ? I was expecting some kind
    > of "full server disater recovey" type backup option ?? because it would it
    > not need to backup the Novell DOS boot partition as well ?

    No, like I posted earlier, I don't believe there's any integration
    between BENW and OBDR (the supported page was for BE for Windows). As
    far as I can tell, you'd need to make the selections for the full backup
    yourself - load DOSFAT.NSS and include the DOSFAT_C: volume, along with
    the rest of the server volumes & NDS.

    > I then deleted the disk partitions using the RAID controller sofware and
    > tried to boot from the tape. I chose the tape as the boot device but I said
    > there was no bootable OS on the tape

    If you didn't backup the boot directory (i.e. the DOS partition), then I
    guess that's the result you'd get

    > Perhaps I do need the IDR option ??

    Maybe...try again as above - if it doesn't work again, then that's a
    possibility...

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  9. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Me again !

    OK reinstalled server and SP3 loaded the DOSFAT.NSS in the AUTOEXEC.NCF

    After reinstalling BE the I could now see the DOS partition in the Neware
    files section.

    Set the bootable tape option

    I just selected to backup everything on a full backup

    Downed the server and tried an OBDR boot from the tape drive but the drive
    just seem to keep throwing out the tape. Possibly suggesting it's not
    bootable ?

    Do I have any other options left other than IDR ? Is there anyway to look
    at/try IDR without having to purchase it ?

    Thanks

    Andrew

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1d35b22326ebfc619897b6@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Andrew
    >> There doesn't seem much in the way of 'positive' settings for bootable
    >> tapes
    >> ? just one burried in the options menu which I set to make tape bootable
    >> if
    >> bootable device availible.

    > That's right - for now, it's probably best to set that to "always"
    >
    >> I then did a full backup of the NFS and NDS onto the tape which did not
    >> seem
    >> to ask me If I wanted this tape to be bootable ? I was expecting some
    >> kind
    >> of "full server disater recovey" type backup option ?? because it would
    >> it
    >> not need to backup the Novell DOS boot partition as well ?

    > No, like I posted earlier, I don't believe there's any integration
    > between BENW and OBDR (the supported page was for BE for Windows). As
    > far as I can tell, you'd need to make the selections for the full backup
    > yourself - load DOSFAT.NSS and include the DOSFAT_C: volume, along with
    > the rest of the server volumes & NDS.
    >
    >> I then deleted the disk partitions using the RAID controller sofware and
    >> tried to boot from the tape. I chose the tape as the boot device but I
    >> said
    >> there was no bootable OS on the tape

    > If you didn't backup the boot directory (i.e. the DOS partition), then I
    > guess that's the result you'd get
    >
    >> Perhaps I do need the IDR option ??

    > Maybe...try again as above - if it doesn't work again, then that's a
    > possibility...
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  10. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Andrew
    > Me again !

    > OK reinstalled server and SP3 loaded the DOSFAT.NSS in the AUTOEXEC.NCF
    > After reinstalling BE the I could now see the DOS partition in the Neware
    > files section.

    You didn't need to do a reinstall, just load dosfat.nss

    > Downed the server and tried an OBDR boot from the tape drive but the drive
    > just seem to keep throwing out the tape. Possibly suggesting it's not
    > bootable ?

    That does seem to suggest the tape isn't bootable. Are there any
    messages on the drive display panel?

    > Do I have any other options left other than IDR ?

    To be honest, we're past how far I ever got with OBDR, so I don't think
    so....

    > Is there anyway to look
    > at/try IDR without having to purchase it ?

    Not AFAIK

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  11. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1d35fc20641f2c9b9897b9@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Andrew
    >> Me again !

    >> OK reinstalled server and SP3 loaded the DOSFAT.NSS in the AUTOEXEC.NCF
    >> After reinstalling BE the I could now see the DOS partition in the Neware
    >> files section.

    > You didn't need to do a reinstall, just load dosfat.nss

    Yep I did cos i'd wiped the partitions using the RAID controller software

    >> Downed the server and tried an OBDR boot from the tape drive but the
    >> drive
    >> just seem to keep throwing out the tape. Possibly suggesting it's not
    >> bootable ?

    > That does seem to suggest the tape isn't bootable. Are there any
    > messages on the drive display panel?

    Display panel ! ? The HP DAT72 drive just has a Green and Orange light
    which are flashing slowly to indicate the drive is in OBDR mode....That's
    all the status you get !

    >> Do I have any other options left other than IDR ?

    > To be honest, we're past how far I ever got with OBDR, so I don't think
    > so....
    >
    >> Is there anyway to look
    >> at/try IDR without having to purchase it ?

    > Not AFAIK

    Thanks for all your assistanse I shall have to go back to HP and press them
    again about Tapeware and ask them what testing they have done with BE to put
    it on the OBDR compatible list

    Cheers

    Andrew

    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  12. Re: BE9.1 NW6.5SP3 HPDAT72 IBM225 anyone close to this combo

    Andrew
    > Yep I did cos i'd wiped the partitions using the RAID controller software

    D'oh - of course!

    > Display panel ! ? The HP DAT72 drive just has a Green and Orange light
    > which are flashing slowly to indicate the drive is in OBDR mode....That's
    > all the status you get !

    Oh good, *that's* helpful

    > Thanks for all your assistanse I shall have to go back to HP and press them
    > again about Tapeware and ask them what testing they have done with BE to put
    > it on the OBDR compatible list

    Like I said, from that page I referenced before, I'm pretty sure only BE
    for Windows is supported with OBDR. Still, let us know how you get on &
    good luck!

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"