Very slow remote backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Very slow remote backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a Netware 6.5 sp2 server that backs up extremely slowly, about 73Mb /minute. On the other hand, I have a Netware 6.0 Sp4 server that backs up over 535 Mb/min. Both servers are a similar total disk space ...

  1. Very slow remote backup

    I have a Netware 6.5 sp2 server that backs up extremely slowly, about
    73Mb /minute. On the other hand, I have a Netware 6.0 Sp4 server that
    backs up over 535 Mb/min. Both servers are a similar total disk space
    to be backed up (180 vs. 160 Gb), although the slow server probably has
    more very large files in it's inventory.

    Neither of the remote servers or the media server (also Netware
    6.5sp2) are low on "cache buffers" as reported be bediag.fax.

    I've been looking into hardware related problems (disable
    hyperthreading, update hardware drivers, check the network lines), but I
    haven't yet found anything that can address this problem.

    Before I open a support incident, can anyone offer any advice on some
    things I may not be noticing (I'm new to this program).

    Thanks
    Jim Helfer
    WTW Architects

  2. Re: Very slow remote backup

    I am currently busy to roll-out new backup hardware Overland LTO-2 Ultruim-2.
    Running NetWare 6.5 with SP3. I also have a problem with slow backups.

    I also tried various configurations but with out success. The backup device
    can handle 1.4Gb/Min I only get 700Mb/Min.

    Out of 25 jobs I get an average of 310 Mb/min. The best I got was 765 Mb/min
    local backup in the lab, and 310 MB/min remote server. I am still searching
    for an answer.

    We are currently busy with Veritas with a call. I'll let you know if I do
    find any.

    > I have a Netware 6.5 sp2 server that backs up extremely slowly, about

    >73Mb /minute. On the other hand, I have a Netware 6.0 Sp4 server that
    >backs up over 535 Mb/min. Both servers are a similar total disk space
    >to be backed up (180 vs. 160 Gb), although the slow server probably has

    >more very large files in it's inventory.
    >
    > Neither of the remote servers or the media server (also Netware
    >6.5sp2) are low on "cache buffers" as reported be bediag.fax.
    >
    > I've been looking into hardware related problems (disable
    >hyperthreading, update hardware drivers, check the network lines), but I

    >haven't yet found anything that can address this problem.
    >
    > Before I open a support incident, can anyone offer any advice on some

    >things I may not be noticing (I'm new to this program).
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim Helfer
    > WTW Architects

  3. Re: Very slow remote backup

    I also had this problem, slow backup of remote server. It would only happen
    to vol1 of the remote server and backup at about 65 mb min vs normal 160
    mb min. This happened randomly for about the past 3 or 4 months. Tech support
    was absolutely NO help. I just upgraded all servers to be 9.1.1156 and have
    not had this problem for a couple of weeks. Also my netware servers are 6.5
    sp3. There were also other things on the server that ran slow, like trying
    to open rconj.exe. It would take 1 min to open, before the login screen would
    appear. After the upgrade of BE to 9.1.1156 it opens in a second. Hopes this
    helps.

    Man, I wish I had backup hardware as fast as yours! My servers could be backed
    up in less than an hour!

    "Gustav van Wyk" wrote:

    >I am currently busy to roll-out new backup hardware Overland LTO-2 Ultruim-2.
    >Running NetWare 6.5 with SP3. I also have a problem with slow backups.
    >
    >I also tried various configurations but with out success. The backup device
    >can handle 1.4Gb/Min I only get 700Mb/Min.
    >
    >Out of 25 jobs I get an average of 310 Mb/min. The best I got was 765 Mb/min
    >local backup in the lab, and 310 MB/min remote server. I am still searching
    >for an answer.
    >
    >We are currently busy with Veritas with a call. I'll let you know if I do
    >find any.
    >

    >> I have a Netware 6.5 sp2 server that backs up extremely slowly, about

    >>73Mb /minute. On the other hand, I have a Netware 6.0 Sp4 server that

    >>backs up over 535 Mb/min. Both servers are a similar total disk space

    >>to be backed up (180 vs. 160 Gb), although the slow server probably has

    >>more very large files in it's inventory.
    >>
    >> Neither of the remote servers or the media server (also Netware
    >>6.5sp2) are low on "cache buffers" as reported be bediag.fax.
    >>
    >> I've been looking into hardware related problems (disable
    >>hyperthreading, update hardware drivers, check the network lines), but

    >>haven't yet found anything that can address this problem.
    >>
    >> Before I open a support incident, can anyone offer any advice on some

    >>things I may not be noticing (I'm new to this program).
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Jim Helfer
    >> WTW Architects

  4. Re: Very slow remote backup

    John wrote:
    > I also had this problem, slow backup of remote server. It would only happen
    > to vol1 of the remote server and backup at about 65 mb min vs normal 160
    > mb min. This happened randomly for about the past 3 or 4 months. Tech support
    > was absolutely NO help. I just upgraded all servers to be 9.1.1156 and have
    > not had this problem for a couple of weeks. Also my netware servers are 6.5
    > sp3. There were also other things on the server that ran slow, like trying
    > to open rconj.exe. It would take 1 min to open, before the login screen would
    > appear. After the upgrade of BE to 9.1.1156 it opens in a second. Hopes this
    > helps.
    >
    > Man, I wish I had backup hardware as fast as yours! My servers could be backed
    > up in less than an hour!
    >
    > "Gustav van Wyk" wrote:
    >

    >>I am currently busy to roll-out new backup hardware Overland LTO-2 Ultruim-2.
    >>Running NetWare 6.5 with SP3. I also have a problem with slow backups.
    >>
    >>I also tried various configurations but with out success. The backup device
    >>can handle 1.4Gb/Min I only get 700Mb/Min.
    >>
    >>Out of 25 jobs I get an average of 310 Mb/min. The best I got was 765 Mb/min
    >>local backup in the lab, and 310 MB/min remote server. I am still searching
    >>for an answer.
    >>
    >>We are currently busy with Veritas with a call. I'll let you know if I do
    >>find any.
    >>

    >>> I have a Netware 6.5 sp2 server that backs up extremely slowly, about

    >>>73Mb /minute. On the other hand, I have a Netware 6.0 Sp4 server that

    >>>backs up over 535 Mb/min. Both servers are a similar total disk space

    >>>to be backed up (180 vs. 160 Gb), although the slow server probably has

    >>>more very large files in it's inventory.
    >>>
    >>> Neither of the remote servers or the media server (also Netware
    >>>6.5sp2) are low on "cache buffers" as reported be bediag.fax.
    >>>
    >>> I've been looking into hardware related problems (disable
    >>>hyperthreading, update hardware drivers, check the network lines), but

    >>>haven't yet found anything that can address this problem.
    >>>
    >>> Before I open a support incident, can anyone offer any advice on some

    >>>things I may not be noticing (I'm new to this program).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Jim Helfer
    >>> WTW Architects

    After upgrading drivers and firmware and doing all sorts of network
    tweaking and testing, I finally seem to have the two servers at least
    doing comparable backups.

    Now, I'll to play with TSATest and things like that to try and get a
    little more performance out of it.

    I know what you mena about tech support calls. I got the distinct
    impression that my guy wouldn't have been able to perform a lot of the
    tasks that he was asking me to do at the Netware console.

    One thing that I stillhave questions about was the tech's insistence
    on me changing the IRQ assigments on the RAID card and Nic because of so
    -called IRQ conflicts. Now, I did change some of them, and that might
    have helped some, and if it had been 1997, I would have heartily agreed
    with him. But, of course, I have ACPI handling the IRQs on my servers,
    and not only are the IRQs not conflicting, I, the user, don't even have
    all that much control over them.

    Jim H
    Pittsburgh PA

+ Reply to Thread