volume currently unavailable -452 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on volume currently unavailable -452 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have set up a brand new system with a new streamer and Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 to backup a NetWare Cluster. With the old system everything went fine. With the new system I am having "volume currently unavailable ...

  1. volume currently unavailable -452

    I have set up a brand new system with a new streamer and Backup Exec for NetWare
    9.1 to backup a NetWare Cluster. With the old system everything went fine.
    With the new system I am having "volume currently unavailable -452" messages
    with either normal files and GroupWise. I have NetWare 6.0 with SP4 and updated
    TSA files (TSA5UP17.exe) and using TSAFS instead of TSA600 for backup.
    The only thing I can find is something about corrupt NSS volumes (changing
    backup software made them corrupt??) or something about multiple threads.
    Ideas anyone?

  2. Re: volume currently unavailable -452

    "Volume Unavailable" has been happening on GroupWise volumes in the clusters
    only.

    It seems to be related to GroupWise's nightly index maintenance. If it is
    turned off, "Volume Unavailable" would not happen. I feel that the GWTSA
    and the size of GW PO are affecting the backup and GWTSA is not capable
    to handle the load of GW maintenance.

    TSA600 is still in use and it is more reliable than TSAFS on cluster.

    Tommy

    "Paul" wrote:

    >I have set up a brand new system with a new streamer and Backup Exec for

    NetWare
    >9.1 to backup a NetWare Cluster. With the old system everything went fine.
    >With the new system I am having "volume currently unavailable -452" messages
    >with either normal files and GroupWise. I have NetWare 6.0 with SP4 and

    updated
    >TSA files (TSA5UP17.exe) and using TSAFS instead of TSA600 for backup.
    >The only thing I can find is something about corrupt NSS volumes (changing
    >backup software made them corrupt??) or something about multiple threads.
    >Ideas anyone?

  3. Re: volume currently unavailable -452

    You want to avoid backing up GW while it's doing maintenance, same as
    you would want to avoid backing up during the day when the POs are very
    busy. There's just too much activity going on to get a "lock" on a
    consistent db state.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread