Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have been trying for two weeks to get a restore to work from Groupwise. Is there anywhere that says 1,2,3 how to restore a file using Backup Exec to Groupwise 6.5. I have followed all tids and still get ...

  1. Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise

    I have been trying for two weeks to get a restore to work from Groupwise.
    Is there anywhere that says 1,2,3 how to restore a file using Backup Exec
    to Groupwise 6.5. I have followed all tids and still get errors when trying
    to do this.
    Most aggravating is a message that I receive when I am in the client and
    trying to restore. The message is 'a task has been sent to the poa'. Any
    help is appreciated.

  2. Re: Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise

    Avon,
    You probably have the complete post office restored to a different location
    than your production Post Office.
    After you create the Restore Area, you needto give the POA object rights
    to this directory ([RWCEMF] (TID:10083863).

    Paul
    "Avon" wrote:

    >I have been trying for two weeks to get a restore to work from Groupwise.
    >Is there anywhere that says 1,2,3 how to restore a file using Backup Exec
    >to Groupwise 6.5. I have followed all tids and still get errors when trying
    >to do this.
    >Most aggravating is a message that I receive when I am in the client and
    >trying to restore. The message is 'a task has been sent to the poa'. Any
    >help is appreciated.

  3. Re: Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise

    3 choices? 1) setup a restore area the user restores their own stuff 2) restore the "live" system 3) restore a user if they have deleted stuff in last 48 hours.

    You can choose to restore GroupWise to a different location - the restore directory. You choose to redirect the restore to another location with enough space. What this enables users to do is to choose File open backup and restore items they have deleted themselves. you have to create a restore area in Console One, tools gwise ops, restore area management - not more than 8 chars. Membership Add - post office and users.

    To do this you restore the whole Post Office directory to a temporary location. Choose to overwrite files in the Advanced Field and remove restore security settings in the Netware options. (I restore to a different server to the live Post Office). You then have to use console one to grant full rights to the restore area to the Post Office and add in the user name to grant rights for the user to the restore area. You can test yourself by adding in your name and chossing file open backup from the groupwise client.

    If you find my other entry on this forum it gives you the dates of the nlms I use for restore - these overcame errors on restoring to do with insufficient privileges.

    If you are restoring over the "live system" that is a different matter. You have to stop the system. You have to choose overwrite newer files. I have never tried it.

    You can also restore individuals from ConsoleOne. If they were accidentally deleted or within 48 hours of a user deleting stuff, but they will return to the state they were in 48 hours ago.

    See TID 10082831 for recovering deleted GroupWise User. TID 10076955 backup and restore mail for GroupWise.
    I found a Kratzer Guide? Ch28 restoring Groupwise very useful on the net somewhere.

    Finally on o ur netware 6.5 server we had to turn off multithreading to get a decent through put on restore/backup.

    Good luck

  4. Re: Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise

    I feel I have followed all the tids but will try again. Also, when I try to
    restore from the client I get a message 'a task has been sent to the poa'.
    I cannot find reference to this message anywhere and no one in the Novell
    Support forums has heard of it. Seems if this message was programmed in the
    software there must be a reason for it???
    I am going to start over with the tids and go very slowly. Thanks very much
    for your response.

    "Roberta Ashworth" <55011055@hermes.jde.adm.mmu.ac.uk> wrote:
    >3 choices? 1) setup a restore area the user restores their own stuff 2)

    restore the
    >"live" system 3) restore a user if they have deleted stuff in last 48 hours.
    >
    >You can choose to restore GroupWise to a different location - the restore

    directory.
    >You choose to redirect the restore to another location with enough space.

    What this
    >enables users to do is to choose File open backup and restore items they

    have deleted
    >themselves. you have to create a restore area in Console One, tools gwise

    ops, restore
    >area management - not more than 8 chars. Membership Add - post office and

    users.

    >To do this you restore the whole Post Office directory to a temporary location.

    Choose
    >to overwrite files in the Advanced Field and remove restore security settings

    in the
    >Netware options. (I restore to a different server to the live Post Office).

    You then
    >have to use console one to grant full rights to the restore area to the

    Post Office
    >and add in the user name to grant rights for the user to the restore area.

    You can
    >test yourself by adding in your name and chossing file open backup from

    the groupwise
    >client.
    >
    >If you find my other entry on this forum it gives you the dates of the nlms

    I use for
    >restore - these overcame errors on restoring to do with insufficient privileges.
    >
    >If you are restoring over the "live system" that is a different matter.

    You have to
    >stop the system. You have to choose overwrite newer files. I have never

    tried it.

    >You can also restore individuals from ConsoleOne. If they were accidentally

    deleted
    >or within 48 hours of a user deleting stuff, but they will return to the

    state they
    >were in 48 hours ago.
    >
    >See TID 10082831 for recovering deleted GroupWise User. TID 10076955 backup

    and restore
    >mail for GroupWise.
    >I found a Kratzer Guide? Ch28 restoring Groupwise very useful on the net

    somewhere.

    >Finally on o ur netware 6.5 server we had to turn off multithreading to

    get a decent
    >through put on restore/backup.
    >
    >Good luck

  5. Re: Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise

    I have started from the beginning to try to get everything set up correctly.
    Now, when I created the restore area it does not show up in the properties
    page of the POA.
    Also, if I am using Backup Exec 9.1 does GWTSA need to be running on the
    server?

    "Paul" wrote:

    >Avon,
    >You probably have the complete post office restored to a different location
    >than your production Post Office.
    >After you create the Restore Area, you needto give the POA object rights
    >to this directory ([RWCEMF] (TID:10083863).
    >
    >Paul
    >"Avon" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have been trying for two weeks to get a restore to work from Groupwise.
    >>Is there anywhere that says 1,2,3 how to restore a file using Backup Exec
    >>to Groupwise 6.5. I have followed all tids and still get errors when trying
    >>to do this.
    >>Most aggravating is a message that I receive when I am in the client and
    >>trying to restore. The message is 'a task has been sent to the poa'. Any
    >>help is appreciated.

  6. Re: Backup Exec 9.1 and Groupwise

    Are you using console one so that you can see GroupWise objects??? Explorer doesn't display GroupWise objects.

    For restoring a Post Office to a restore area I think the tsafs.nlm does it. (the gwtsa does the backing up).

+ Reply to Thread