Agent install on machine with full backupexec install - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Agent install on machine with full backupexec install - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am hoping someone can answer this question for me. can I install the newest backupexec agent on a server running the full version? I need to install this agent to test backup to an IBM SAN device, but I ...

  1. Agent install on machine with full backupexec install

    I am hoping someone can answer this question for me.

    can I install the newest backupexec agent on a server running the full version?
    I need to install this agent to test backup to an IBM SAN device, but I
    do not want to interfere with existing backup to tape.

    The SAN device wants the latest agent installed and my network servers are
    running BackupExec version 9.0 4175.

    I know the agent is a separate NLM and in theory, it should not impact the
    existing backup.

    Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

    Steve D.

  2. Re: Agent install on machine with full backupexec install

    Steve
    > can I install the newest backupexec agent on a server running the full version?

    No need - simply add the server name, IP address and a valid serial
    number to the Agent Serial Numbers list (or directly into the
    NDMPSVRS.DAT file) on the media server you want to back it up to. Now,
    regarding the serial number, not sure whether the media server s/n will
    be ok, or whether you'll need a remote agent s/n.

    > The SAN device wants the latest agent installed and my network servers are
    > running BackupExec version 9.0 4175.

    You should update this to build 4202.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Agent install on machine with full backupexec install

    Steve
    > Would the newer agent resolve some speed issues I am having? It appears
    > that this SAN device is backing up at a rate slightly slower than my DLT
    > drives.

    I'm not quite sure what you sort of implementation you have or want to
    move to here. According to your original post, you want to install the
    agent to test backup to the SAN device - that would imply the SAN device
    is currently a media server and you want it to backup another server?
    Does the SAN device back up to a local disk, or tape?

    > I actually think the problem I am having is due to authentication across
    > multiple trees.

    It could well be...

    > I will look at the latest build and see what issues it resolves but it may
    > be a mute point if we move to the SAN device.

    How do you mean by "move to the SAN device"? I'd be upgrading anyway,
    see:

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: Agent install on machine with full backupexec install

    Thanks for your response.

    Would the newer agent resolve some speed issues I am having? It appears
    that this SAN device is backing up at a rate slightly slower than my DLT
    drives.

    I actually think the problem I am having is due to authentication across
    multiple trees.

    I will look at the latest build and see what issues it resolves but it may
    be a mute point if we move to the SAN device.

    Steve D.

  5. Re: Agent install on machine with full backupexec install

    First thing; Thank you for your replies.

    We are currently testing a new IBM SAN device for backing up all of our servers.
    The new SAN device is running BackupExec for Windows version 10 rev 5484.

    We want to use this device to backup our Netware servers to local disks on
    the SAN server.

    I am getting an error trying to add the off site backup server and I am authenticated.

    We will likely look at upgrading all of our servers to version 10, so we
    can use the existing tape drives for some additinal redundancy in our backups.

    Steve D.

  6. Re: Agent install on machine with full backupexec install

    Steve
    > First thing; Thank you for your replies.

    Not a problem :-)

    > We are currently testing a new IBM SAN device for backing up all of our servers.
    > The new SAN device is running BackupExec for Windows version 10 rev 5484.

    Ahhhh, I getcha - your other posts didn't mention the M$ stuff :-)
    Still, I don't think this'll affect using a remote BE for NetWare media
    server as a Remote Agent as previously described - both products (BE for
    NetWare & BE for Windows) now use the same Remote Agents for NetWare...

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"