IDR fails - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR fails - Veritas Backup Exec ; New Netware 6.5sp3 server - BackupExec 9.1 build 1152 - IDR fails retrieving volume detail - seems to pull the Pool detail fine then fails pulling volume detail... Both Sys and vol1 NSS volumes...

  1. IDR fails

    New Netware 6.5sp3 server - BackupExec 9.1 build 1152 -
    IDR fails retrieving volume detail - seems to pull the Pool detail fine then
    fails pulling volume detail...
    Both Sys and vol1 NSS volumes

  2. Re: IDR fails

    Mark
    > New Netware 6.5sp3 server - BackupExec 9.1 build 1152 -
    > IDR fails retrieving volume detail - seems to pull the Pool detail fine then
    > fails pulling volume detail...
    > Both Sys and vol1 NSS volumes

    IDR preparation or recovery?
    What does the BEDR.LOG show?
    Are the volumes compressed?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: IDR fails

    Mark
    > I was thinking it may be because both volumes are NSS volumes -

    Nope - IDR supports prep & recovery of NSS volumes (though there are
    NW/NDS version limitations, see:
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258715.htm)

    Do you have Data Shredding enabled on both volumes? If not, turn it on &
    try again.

    This *is* doing an IDR prep isn't it (i.e. you're making the image)?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: IDR fails

    <# Tue May 24 19:53:50 2005
    #
    SYS:\BKUPEXEC\SYSFILES.INI
    SYS:\BKUPEXEC\BEDIAG.FAX
    SYS:\BKUPEXEC\BEDRAPP.EXE
    SYS:\BKUPEXEC\BEDRAPP.RES
    SYS:\BKUPEXEC\NLMS\BEDIAG.NLM
    SYS:\BKUPEXEC\NLMS\BEDR.NLM
    SYS:SYSTEM\A3112.NLM
    SYS:SYSTEM\DSAPI.NLM
    Shared devices will not be processed.
    Storing NetWare Partition Definition ...
    Allocating 1 NetWare Disk Element(s)
    --> "[V504-A1-D0:0] HP Smart Array 6i Slot 0 ID 0 LUN 0"

    Storage Environment:
    Server Name: "GWMAIL"
    NetWare Boot Directory = "C:\NWSERVER"
    DOS Hard Disk #1: 1024 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 32 Sectors -- ""

    Number of NetWare Hard Disks = 1

    Hard Disk #1: 35139 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 32 Sectors. Not shared.
    Device ID:8BYTE PER SECTOR:512
    | |Start |End | | |
    Part.|System|Cylinder|Cylinder| MB| Hot Fix| Mirror
    -----+------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------
    1 | 06h| 0| 125| 502| 0| 0
    2 | 69h| 126| 1128| 4000| 0| 0
    3 | 69h| 1129| 32501| 125000| 0| 0
    Partition#1...
    Partition Type:6, startingSector:32, numSectors:1028128
    PartitionID:10, hotfixID:0, hotFixSize:0, mirrorID:0
    Partition newMirrorID: 0, raidID:0, label:
    Partition#2...
    Partition Type:105, startingSector:1028160, numSectors:8192000
    PartitionID:11, hotfixID:0, hotFixSize:0, mirrorID:0
    Partition newMirrorID: 0, raidID:0, label:
    Partition#3...
    Partition Type:105, startingSector:9220160, numSectors:256000000
    PartitionID:12, hotfixID:0, hotFixSize:0, mirrorID:0
    Partition newMirrorID: 0, raidID:0, label:

    Storing NetWare Pool Definition ...
    Error in VFS cmd getPoolNDSName. ccode: 0. result: 255, "Error converting
    GUID to name".VFSDumpLargeBuffer...

    Error conver
    ting GUID to name
    managePool.c[4151]MM_
    UNKNOWN_ERROR

    ption>zOK

    GetPools. GetPoolNDSInfo returned 255 for pool SYS
    --> "SYS"
    --> "GWVOL1"
    Storing NetWare Volume Definition ...
    --> "SYS"
    GetVolumeInfo. Seeking shredding returned 1. Volume SYS
    GetVolumeInfo error code 1. volume name: SYS
    VFSDumpLargeBuffer...

    SYS
    >SYS.CN=GWMAIL_SYS.O=AU.T=CPS_GROUP.
    lumeName>61DE0300-C832-11D9-BC-47-001279CFD055 olumeGUID>4F9C7FEE-CC58-01D9-80-00-C69930F789DB.[Supervisor
    ].
    mountedDOS Long
    Mac
    intosh Unix

    4096none Quota>220693299269894 les>6979225 May 2005 1:07:04
    am<
    /createdTime>
    24 May 2005 7:53:50 pm iedTime>
    Invalid UTC Time
    head>0

    ue="7449083899"> rQuota/>

    vage/>

    4203642880 eletedFiles>6572Invalid UTC Time ldestDeletedTime>
    00 WaterMark>1020
    mpressionInfo>
    00 compressedDeletedFiles>0 ionBytes>00 onInfo>
    success
    umeInfo>

    zOK

    Full IDR log follows:

    I was thinking it may be because both volumes are NSS volumes -

    BackupVolumeInfo. GetVolumeInfo returned 1. pool: SYS, volume:SYS
    Error retrieving volume information
    #
    # Tue May 24 19:53:51 2005
    #

  5. Re: IDR fails

    Yes I was trying to create the CD image - and it works now I've turned data
    shredding on on both volumes! Thanks for the suggestion - I would love to
    know why though - we have another Netware 6.5sp3 box that doesnt have data
    shredding on and its always created the CD image

    Thanks for your help

    Mark

    Michael wrote:
    >Mark
    >> I was thinking it may be because both volumes are NSS volumes -

    >Nope - IDR supports prep & recovery of NSS volumes (though there are
    >NW/NDS version limitations, see:
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258715.htm)
    >
    >Do you have Data Shredding enabled on both volumes? If not, turn it on &

    >try again.
    >
    >This *is* doing an IDR prep isn't it (i.e. you're making the image)?
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  6. Re: IDR fails

    Mark
    > Yes I was trying to create the CD image - and it works now I've turned data
    > shredding on on both volumes! Thanks for the suggestion - I would love to
    > know why though - we have another Netware 6.5sp3 box that doesnt have data
    > shredding on and its always created the CD image

    Ah, is there a difference between the way that the 2 SP3 servers were
    installed? From what I've seen, I *think* the data shredding option only
    affects SP3 servers where the install's been from the overlay CD and/or
    there's more than one volume. If SP3 was applied as a normal NW SP
    and/or there's only one volume (i.e. SYS), then it doesn't seem to be
    needed.

    > Thanks for your help

    Not a problem :-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  7. Re: IDR fails

    Yep - both boxes are 6.5 sp3 but one came from NW 5 via 5.1 to 6.5 then sp1/sp2/sp3
    and the one that was failing was a new 'un built from the NW6.5sp3 overlay
    CDs
    Michael wrote:
    >Mark
    >> Yes I was trying to create the CD image - and it works now I've turned

    data
    >> shredding on on both volumes! Thanks for the suggestion - I would love

    >> know why though - we have another Netware 6.5sp3 box that doesnt have

    data
    >> shredding on and its always created the CD image

    >Ah, is there a difference between the way that the 2 SP3 servers were
    >installed? From what I've seen, I *think* the data shredding option only

    >affects SP3 servers where the install's been from the overlay CD and/or

    >there's more than one volume. If SP3 was applied as a normal NW SP
    >and/or there's only one volume (i.e. SYS), then it doesn't seem to be
    >needed.
    >
    >> Thanks for your help

    >Not a problem :-)
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  8. Re: IDR fails

    Mark
    > Yep - both boxes are 6.5 sp3 but one came from NW 5 via 5.1 to 6.5 then sp1/sp2/sp3
    > and the one that was failing was a new 'un built from the NW6.5sp3 overlay
    > CDs

    Ok, thanks for the report back - looks like that's the problem as
    suspected.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"