Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all, Enviroment: Netware 6.5, BE 9.1 I have a problem where a full backup "spawns" into multiple magazines (HP 6x40G autoloader). When doing backup the media needs to be changed in middle of backup - this is not a ...

  1. Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Hi all,

    Enviroment: Netware 6.5, BE 9.1

    I have a problem where a full backup "spawns" into multiple magazines
    (HP 6x40G autoloader). When doing backup the media needs to be changed
    in middle of backup - this is not a problem but..

    Now when we are trying to restore from this kind of backup set where the
    data is on second magazine the Backup exec does not understand the
    magazine change without inventory runned. So guestion is, how to restore
    from second mag? Do I have to import this second mag as "external" and
    try to restore from there or is there some kind of easy solution for this.

    I think that this is totally a desing flaw

    Thanks,
    Jouko

  2. Re: Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Jouko
    > I have a problem where a full backup "spawns" into multiple magazines
    > (HP 6x40G autoloader). When doing backup the media needs to be changed
    > in middle of backup - this is not a problem but..
    >
    > Now when we are trying to restore from this kind of backup set where the
    > data is on second magazine the Backup exec does not understand the
    > magazine change without inventory runned. So guestion is, how to restore
    > from second mag? Do I have to import this second mag as "external" and
    > try to restore from there or is there some kind of easy solution for this.

    The inventory needs to be done so that BE knows what tapes are in the
    magazine/drive - I think you should be able to get away with just doing
    an inventory with the HP loader you have - I don't think it's got a
    mailslot/portal. Imports are usually for autoloaders with a
    mailslot/portal (the import moves tapes from the mailslot/portal to a
    slot in the library).

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Michael wrote:

    > The inventory needs to be done so that BE knows what tapes are in the
    > magazine/drive - I think you should be able to get away with just doing
    > an inventory with the HP loader you have - I don't think it's got a
    > mailslot/portal. Imports are usually for autoloaders with a
    > mailslot/portal (the import moves tapes from the mailslot/portal to a
    > slot in the library).

    Hi Michael,

    Yes, this is correct, but how do you do an inventory when the restore
    job is allready active?

    So I start with Mag1. Start restore job, BE goes through few tapes from
    Mag1 and notices that the files it needs are on Mag2. Now it ask for
    Mag2 and I change it and accept ok that Mag2 is changed (of cource it
    says that no it´s not cause no inventory is runned on middle).

    -j-

  4. Re: Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Update from Veritas,

    This is known issue that Media Manager dont know if magazine is changed
    during verify/restore prosess without inventory in middle (what is not
    possible). Have to open enhancement request for this issue.

    Work arround is to insert the tapes that contains the restored data all
    in same magazine and do inventory + restore after this (it should do the
    trick).

    -Jouko-

    Jouko Oksanen wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Enviroment: Netware 6.5, BE 9.1
    >
    > I have a problem where a full backup "spawns" into multiple magazines
    > (HP 6x40G autoloader). When doing backup the media needs to be changed
    > in middle of backup - this is not a problem but..
    >
    > Now when we are trying to restore from this kind of backup set where the
    > data is on second magazine the Backup exec does not understand the
    > magazine change without inventory runned. So guestion is, how to restore
    > from second mag? Do I have to import this second mag as "external" and
    > try to restore from there or is there some kind of easy solution for this.
    >
    > I think that this is totally a desing flaw
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jouko

  5. Re: Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Jouko
    > This is known issue that Media Manager dont know if magazine is changed
    > during verify/restore prosess without inventory in middle (what is not
    > possible). Have to open enhancement request for this issue.
    >
    > Work arround is to insert the tapes that contains the restored data all
    > in same magazine and do inventory + restore after this (it should do the
    > trick).

    Yeah, it isn't possible to do an inventory in the middle of the restore
    - sorry, should've been clearer in the last reply.

    In any case, it's sounding like you need to get a bigger library ;-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Michael wrote:

    > In any case, it's sounding like you need to get a bigger library ;-)

    Yeah, thats so true. new drive is hopefully on it´s way.

    -Jouko-

  7. Re: Backup spawns into multiple magazines, restore?

    Is it possible when BE asks for mag2 that you place the job on hold, initiate a scan on mag2 then return the original job to Active?

    >>> Jouko Oksanen 5/23/2005 1:13 AM >>>

    > In any case, it's sounding like you need to get a bigger library ;-)

    Yeah, thats so true. new drive is hopefully on its way.

    -Jouko-

+ Reply to Thread