SMS Errors - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SMS Errors - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, Were getting a bunch of this Novell SMS Errors: The file DATA:MVPO/OFUSER/Index/"0x34 0x32 0x38... " contains invalid characters. the file was skipped. The file name is a hexadecimal representation of the string. Then a Job completion status of Error. ...

  1. SMS Errors

    Hello,
    Were getting a bunch of this Novell SMS Errors:
    The file DATA:MVPO/OFUSER/Index/"0x34 0x32 0x38... " contains invalid characters.
    the file was skipped. The file name is a hexadecimal representation of
    the string.

    Then a Job completion status of Error.

    Is there anything that we should check? Were on Netware 5.1 SP5, BackupExec
    8.5

    Thanks a million!
    royce

  2. Re: SMS Errors

    Royce
    > Were getting a bunch of this Novell SMS Errors:
    > The file DATA:MVPO/OFUSER/Index/"0x34 0x32 0x38... " contains invalid characters.
    > the file was skipped. The file name is a hexadecimal representation of
    > the string.
    >
    > Then a Job completion status of Error.
    >
    > Is there anything that we should check? Were on Netware 5.1 SP5, BackupExec
    > 8.5

    Hmmm, I see the following TechNote, which implies it's a problem with
    the filename itself http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/188966.htm

    Just FYI though, from that file path you've given it looks to me like
    you're backing up the GroupWise system through a normal filesystem
    backup - if you're using GW6.x, you should be using the GWTSA to backup
    GW. Select the "GroupWise system" for backup, then exclude the GW files
    from the normal filesystem backup.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: SMS Errors

    Royce
    > How do we know which filename is causing the error.

    Turn the job logging detail up and compare the filenames backed up with
    a directory listing.

    > Also were on Netware 5.1.

    Yeah, I was referring to GroupWise versions:
    >>Just FYI though, from that file path you've given it looks to me like
    >>you're backing up the GroupWise system through a normal filesystem
    >>backup - if you're using GW6.x, you should be using the GWTSA to backup
    >>GW. Select the "GroupWise system" for backup, then exclude the GW files
    >>from the normal filesystem backup.

    > Thanks again Michael,

    np :-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: SMS Errors

    Hi Michael,

    How do we know which filename is causing the error. Also were on Netware
    5.1.

    Thanks again Michael,

    Royce

    Michael wrote:
    >Royce
    >> Were getting a bunch of this Novell SMS Errors:
    >> The file DATA:MVPO/OFUSER/Index/"0x34 0x32 0x38... " contains invalid

    characters.
    >> the file was skipped. The file name is a hexadecimal representation

    of
    >> the string.
    >>
    >> Then a Job completion status of Error.
    >>
    >> Is there anything that we should check? Were on Netware 5.1 SP5, BackupExec
    >> 8.5

    >Hmmm, I see the following TechNote, which implies it's a problem with
    >the filename itself http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/188966.htm
    >
    >Just FYI though, from that file path you've given it looks to me like
    >you're backing up the GroupWise system through a normal filesystem
    >backup - if you're using GW6.x, you should be using the GWTSA to backup

    >GW. Select the "GroupWise system" for backup, then exclude the GW files

    >from the normal filesystem backup.
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

+ Reply to Thread