Slow backup with agent loaded - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Slow backup with agent loaded - Veritas Backup Exec ; Scenario: 3 servers, all NW6 SP3, only TCP/IP, only NSS volumes (with the patch), TSA600. Server 1: BE9 4175 Media Server with MSL5026 attached. Server 2: Cluster node 1, with the big volume mounted (1 TB) Server 3: Cluster node ...

  1. Slow backup with agent loaded

    Scenario:
    3 servers, all NW6 SP3, only TCP/IP, only NSS volumes (with the patch),
    TSA600.

    Server 1: BE9 4175 Media Server with MSL5026 attached.
    Server 2: Cluster node 1, with the big volume mounted (1 TB)
    Server 3: Cluster node 2, with some small volumes on it (approx 500 GB)

    Backup has been slow for a while.

    If all servers has BE loaded and we run a test backup on only the SYS
    drive on server 1 the throughput is about 1100 MB/min.
    By accident we noticed if the BE agent is not loaded on server 2 the
    same backup job has a throughput on 2200 MB/min.
    If it's loaded or not on server 3 makes no difference.

    How can an internal backup job on the media server be affected if a
    agent is loaded or not on another server? I thought the agent waited
    until the media server called it and asked it to send over the data
    that should be backuped.

    Any suggestions what could be wrong with the agent on server 2?

    I will check SLP and SMDR config tomorrow.

  2. Re: Slow backup with agent loaded

    Tote
    > Scenario:
    > 3 servers, all NW6 SP3, only TCP/IP, only NSS volumes (with the patch),
    > TSA600.
    >
    > Server 1: BE9 4175 Media Server with MSL5026 attached.
    > Server 2: Cluster node 1, with the big volume mounted (1 TB)
    > Server 3: Cluster node 2, with some small volumes on it (approx 500 GB)
    >
    > Backup has been slow for a while.
    >
    > If all servers has BE loaded and we run a test backup on only the SYS
    > drive on server 1 the throughput is about 1100 MB/min.
    > By accident we noticed if the BE agent is not loaded on server 2 the
    > same backup job has a throughput on 2200 MB/min.
    > If it's loaded or not on server 3 makes no difference.
    >
    > How can an internal backup job on the media server be affected if a
    > agent is loaded or not on another server? I thought the agent waited
    > until the media server called it and asked it to send over the data
    > that should be backuped.

    How strange indeed - the agent should have no bearing on a media
    server's local backup throughput whatsoever. You're correct with the way
    you describe how the agent works - tbe agent should only be in use when
    a backup is being made of the server with the agent on it. I would
    update the install (media server & agents) to build 4202 anyway though.

    > I will check SLP and SMDR config tomorrow.

    How did this go?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"