Protecting Backup Tapes/encryption - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Protecting Backup Tapes/encryption - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are running BackupExec for Netware 9.0 Version 4202. It has been requested by Management that we look at protecting our backup tapes that we take off site on a daily basis. Does BackupExec have the ability to encrypt the ...

  1. Protecting Backup Tapes/encryption

    We are running BackupExec for Netware 9.0 Version 4202. It has been requested
    by Management that we look at protecting our backup tapes that we take off
    site on a daily basis. Does BackupExec have the ability to encrypt the information
    on the media tapes or password protect them so that if someone would get
    a hold of the tapes then there would not be a way they could get the information
    off of them? Or would we need to purchase some other software that could
    encrypt the data on the media?

  2. Re: Protecting Backup Tapes/encryption

    Sharon
    > We are running BackupExec for Netware 9.0 Version 4202. It has been requested
    > by Management that we look at protecting our backup tapes that we take off
    > site on a daily basis. Does BackupExec have the ability to encrypt the information
    > on the media tapes or password protect them so that if someone would get
    > a hold of the tapes then there would not be a way they could get the information
    > off of them? Or would we need to purchase some other software that could
    > encrypt the data on the media?

    BE does not have the ability to encrypt the data, but you certainly can
    password protect the tape when you overwrite it. See the Administrators
    Guide, p128 ("Media Options for Backup Job Properties"). Unfortunately
    it won't help you prevent an erase of the tape, but you can't read the
    tape without the password.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"