BESRVR.CFG - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BESRVR.CFG - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, I am looking for a reference on the besrvr.cfg file. If anyone has information on this, it would be much appreciated. -- Kind regards Luc Van de Velde...

  1. BESRVR.CFG

    --

    Kind regards

    Luc Van de Velde

  2. Re: BESRVR.CFG

    Luc
    > I am looking for a reference on the besrvr.cfg file.
    > If anyone has information on this, it would be much appreciated.

    I don't believe there's a comprehensive guide to it - what sort of
    information are you looking for?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: BESRVR.CFG

    Michael,

    I'll try to explain the problem I have and why I'm looking for information
    about the besrvr.cfg file.

    We use a single DLT tape drive and we have several different backup jobs
    running.
    One job that runs every Monday thru Thursday, one that runs three Fridays in
    a row and one that runs every 4 weeks.
    The local users are responsible for replacing tapes every day.

    If someone forgets to replace a tape, the scheduler will wait until there is
    a tape available for writing, thus writing to the wrong tape.

    What I would like to see, is that the scheduler will timeout after a certain
    amount of time and reschedule the jobs for its following occurrence.
    I found a few tips in the Veritas knowledge base for when there is no tape
    in the drive, but nothing about my case. So that is why I'm looking for

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1cf3d5c57ca06542989776@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Luc
    > > I am looking for a reference on the besrvr.cfg file.
    > > If anyone has information on this, it would be much appreciated.

    > I don't believe there's a comprehensive guide to it - what sort of
    > information are you looking for?
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: BESRVR.CFG

    Luc
    > What I would like to see, is that the scheduler will timeout after a certain
    > amount of time and reschedule the jobs for its following occurrence.
    > I found a few tips in the Veritas knowledge base for when there is no tape
    > in the drive, but nothing about my case. So that is why I'm looking for
    > information about the besrvr.cfg file.

    Although this document refers to no media being in the drive, the
    settings should be applicable:

    The way to force this is to have the media eject after the job completes
    (see Pre/Post options of the job's policy). So, when the job completes,
    the media is ejected - if the user doesn't then replace the tape every
    day as required, there will be no media in the drive, thus invoking the
    above settings.

    The only problem that you should be aware of is if you change the
    default policy to have "eject media after job completes" and then run a
    utility job (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260496.htm).
    However, it sounds like you're using multiple policies anyway, so I
    don't see a reason to change the default one.

    HTH

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"