Differential Backups seem too large - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Differential Backups seem too large - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using BE 9.1 for NetWare and do a full backup on each Friday night and then differentials every night. A while ago I noticed that the differentials were taking longer than expected but didn't investigate. I finally looked ...

  1. Differential Backups seem too large

    I am using BE 9.1 for NetWare and do a full backup on each Friday night and
    then differentials every night. A while ago I noticed that the differentials
    were taking longer than expected but didn't investigate. I finally looked
    into it and see a pattern of strange behavior in the last two weeks on 2
    particular volumes. The full backup on 5/7/05(AM) backed up 123034 files
    on the first volume and 104901 on the second. The differential that ran 5/07/07
    PM backed up 2 files on the first and 1 file on the second (as expected).
    But on 5/08/05 PM it backed up 111828 files on the first and 43973 on the
    second and continued around that number of files the rest of the week.

    We do not have much activity on Sunday on our network or these volumes so
    I cannot think of any explanation of the jump in number of files. The other
    18 volumes that I backup grow in a normal fashion, ie much slower.

    Any ideas out there ? Thanks -- Dave

  2. Re: Differential Backups seem too large

    Dave
    > I am using BE 9.1 for NetWare and do a full backup on each Friday night and
    > then differentials every night. A while ago I noticed that the differentials
    > were taking longer than expected but didn't investigate. I finally looked
    > into it and see a pattern of strange behavior in the last two weeks on 2
    > particular volumes. The full backup on 5/7/05(AM) backed up 123034 files
    > on the first volume and 104901 on the second. The differential that ran 5/07/07
    > PM backed up 2 files on the first and 1 file on the second (as expected).
    > But on 5/08/05 PM it backed up 111828 files on the first and 43973 on the
    > second and continued around that number of files the rest of the week.
    >
    > We do not have much activity on Sunday on our network or these volumes so
    > I cannot think of any explanation of the jump in number of files. The other
    > 18 volumes that I backup grow in a normal fashion, ie much slower.

    Do you have a virus scanner running on Sunday nights? If so, and you're
    using TSAFS, have a look at

    Also see:

    and if you're using an old build of 9.1, see
    and update to the latest build available, 1154.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Differential Backups seem too large

    Michael wrote:
    >Dave
    >> I am using BE 9.1 for NetWare and do a full backup on each Friday night

    and
    >> then differentials every night. A while ago I noticed that the differentials
    >> were taking longer than expected but didn't investigate. I finally looked
    >> into it and see a pattern of strange behavior in the last two weeks on

    2
    >> particular volumes. The full backup on 5/7/05(AM) backed up 123034 files
    >> on the first volume and 104901 on the second. The differential that ran

    5/07/07
    >> PM backed up 2 files on the first and 1 file on the second (as expected).
    >> But on 5/08/05 PM it backed up 111828 files on the first and 43973 on

    the
    >> second and continued around that number of files the rest of the week.
    >>
    >> We do not have much activity on Sunday on our network or these volumes

    so
    >> I cannot think of any explanation of the jump in number of files. The

    other
    >> 18 volumes that I backup grow in a normal fashion, ie much slower.

    >Do you have a virus scanner running on Sunday nights? If so, and you're

    >using TSAFS, have a look at
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272758.htm
    >
    >Also see:
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189820.htm
    >
    >and if you're using an old build of 9.1, see
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264587.htm
    >and update to the latest build available, 1154.
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

    Thanks Michael, I am not using TSAFS but I think the anti-virus is the problem.
    I'll try an experiemnt this weekend. Thanks for the help. -- Dave

  4. Re: Differential Backups seem too large

    Dave
    > Thanks Michael, I am not using TSAFS but I think the anti-virus is the problem.
    > I'll try an experiemnt this weekend. Thanks for the help. -- Dave

    No problem - post back the results :-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"