BE9.1 Incremental not backing up any data - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE9.1 Incremental not backing up any data - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all Our weekly full backups are working just fine, and incrementals work ok from remote servers, but when the media server does an incremental on its own volumes it backs up nothing - 0 bytes. I know for a ...

  1. BE9.1 Incremental not backing up any data

    Hi all

    Our weekly full backups are working just fine, and incrementals work ok from
    remote servers, but when the media server does an incremental on its own
    volumes it backs up nothing - 0 bytes. I know for a fact there are several
    Gb worth of modifications/creations made on a daily basis on those volumes.
    Job finishes with normal status and all new/modified files are still sat
    there plain as day with archive bits set.

    Got no idea on this one, so ideas/suggestions most welcome !

    Alex Toft

  2. Re: BE9.1 Incremental not backing up any data

    To add, the job log for one particular volume looks like this :

    ##NML## Total directories: 0
    ##NML## Total files: 0
    ##NML## Total bytes: 0
    ##NML## Total time: 00:00:03
    ##NML## Throughput: 0 bytes/second

    I find 3 seconds a little hard to believe as the volume contains at least
    3 million files. I know NSS is fast, but it ain't that fast !

  3. Re: BE9.1 Incremental not backing up any data

    Alex
    > Our weekly full backups are working just fine, and incrementals work ok from
    > remote servers, but when the media server does an incremental on its own
    > volumes it backs up nothing - 0 bytes. I know for a fact there are several
    > Gb worth of modifications/creations made on a daily basis on those volumes.
    > Job finishes with normal status and all new/modified files are still sat
    > there plain as day with archive bits set.

    It sounds like the job is actually silently failing rather than trying
    to back up 0 files. Are there any alert messages at all?

    Try setting the job log detail up to the highest setting (in both the
    policy and Options>Media Server) and see if there's any extra info in
    the job log (post the entire thing here)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"