bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have a brand new Proliant server with NW6.5 and Backup Exec for Netware 9.1 Installation from workstation runs fine but as soon as the server runs bestart.ncf and gets to the part where bkupexec.nlm has to load the ...

  1. bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup

    Hi, I have a brand new Proliant server with NW6.5 and Backup Exec for Netware
    9.1
    Installation from workstation runs fine but as soon as the server runs bestart.ncf
    and gets to the part where bkupexec.nlm has to load the surestart console
    freezes, server makes a beep and abends with a <1> next to the prompt.
    if i try to run bestop the server grinds to a halt
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

  2. Re: bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup

    Gideon
    > Hi, I have a brand new Proliant server with NW6.5 and Backup Exec for Netware
    > 9.1
    > Installation from workstation runs fine but as soon as the server runs bestart.ncf
    > and gets to the part where bkupexec.nlm has to load the surestart console
    > freezes, server makes a beep and abends with a <1> next to the prompt.
    > if i try to run bestop the server grinds to a halt

    Try starting BE as follows:

    BESTART -bC:\NWSERVER

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup

    I loaded NWASPI and added a '-n' to the end of the 'load bkupexec' command
    line to have it NOT use becdm.cdm, but use NWASPI instead. This works!
    No more abends since NW65SP3 OES!

    Tim

    Michael wrote:
    >Gideon
    >> Hi, I have a brand new Proliant server with NW6.5 and Backup Exec for

    Netware
    >> 9.1
    >> Installation from workstation runs fine but as soon as the server runs

    bestart.ncf
    >> and gets to the part where bkupexec.nlm has to load the surestart console
    >> freezes, server makes a beep and abends with a <1> next to the prompt.
    >> if i try to run bestop the server grinds to a halt

    >Try starting BE as follows:
    >
    >BESTART -bC:\NWSERVER
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup

    Timothy
    > I loaded NWASPI and added a '-n' to the end of the 'load bkupexec' command
    > line to have it NOT use becdm.cdm, but use NWASPI instead. This works!
    > No more abends since NW65SP3 OES!

    Thanks for the report back.

    I suspect that it's part of the same solution. Using the -n switch will
    force BE to look in C:\NWSERVER for NWASPI.CDM, so the path will be set
    properly - that's what the -bC:\NWSERVER switch does.

    Now, personally, I'd prefer to use the -bC:\NWSERVER switch and use
    BECDM.CDM instead - I've not trusted NWASPI.CDM and its various memory
    leaks/problems since v3.21a (NW5.1 SP2a).

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  5. Re: bestart hangs netware 6.5 sp3 server on startup

    "Gideon Le Roux" wrote:

    >Hi, I have a brand new Proliant server with NW6.5 and Backup Exec for Netware
    >9.1
    >Installation from workstation runs fine but as soon as the server runs bestart.ncf
    >and gets to the part where bkupexec.nlm has to load the surestart console
    >freezes, server makes a beep and abends with a <1> next to the prompt.
    >if i try to run bestop the server grinds to a halt
    >Any ideas?
    >Thanks

    Check your hosts file. recreate from scratch even if nothing looks wrong.
    This error can happen easily if you backup any other hosts rather than this
    one and scan for it on startup. Also check your ndmpsvrs.dat file for hosts
    no longer locatable. I assume the abend shows a backupexec-specific .nlm
    as the problem? Otherwise, delete your registry (c:\nwserver\servcfg.*
    ) and replace your server.exe with known good copy, such as from the last
    applied service pack.

+ Reply to Thread