Poor quanlity of software - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Poor quanlity of software - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am extremely disappointed with the quality of version 9.1. Previously I used version 8.0 and found it 'quirky', but at least it worked. I would like to enumerate all the faults I have found (so far) with the Java ...

  1. Poor quanlity of software

    I am extremely disappointed with the quality of version 9.1. Previously I
    used version 8.0 and found it 'quirky', but at least it worked. I would like
    to enumerate all the faults I have found (so far) with the Java Administration
    console. Partly this seems a way to gather support amongst users to apply
    pressure on Veritas to actually get this thing improved, and also in case
    I have missed some settings or other amongst it's proliferation of obscure
    interface elements. Someone may be able to put me right on a point or two
    ?

    Dates format - can be set in administration options, but setting is ignored
    in most places, where it still appears in the default format.

    Schedule view does not sort by date and there is no setting for it.

    Administration console (Java) is extremely slow to load and slow to scan
    for data

    Administration console will always lock-up after completing the load phase
    if the media server selection panel is closed. There is no solution except
    re-install, since you cannot re-open the panel on a locked system.

    There is no way to append to introduced media, so you have to resign yourself
    to over-writing previous tapes.

    There are restrictions on quick check verify, which has to be set as a global
    option before being used. However, it does not stop you setting a backup
    job or policy with quick check specified. Unless set, the job will fail,
    and there is no warning when creating a job which calls for it.

    There is complete confusion on the backup policy pages where re-schedule
    period x weeks can be selected, but combines with another panel specifying
    days of the week, and actually results in jobs schedule repeating daily instead
    of weekly as required.

    Often get messages 'script may have failed' if you try to do something too
    quickly in the interface.

    Job log no longer shows accumulated bytes and bytes left on the media, making
    it hard to judge whether the media should be rotated on not. Although this
    information IS available under the 'media' button, it is highly inconvenient
    to use, being tied to the internal media reference instaed of job name.

    Restore to a path (all files) does not work correctly, the path is actually
    appended to the original source path.

    Without the 'open-files' extra-cost addone, there still claims to be an open-files
    backup with two options, with or without a lock. Neither in fact works and
    files are skipped

    Job log view can show backup set bytes, but this is rounded to the nearest
    1Gb and is useless.

    You cannot find how to specify fields in schedule view, (not scehduled jobs
    view). When you do, as right-click on the diary, it is nonsense.

    Holidays can be set and an option to re-schedule on holidays. Appears not
    to work at all, as jobs are still automatically scehduled to run on a 'holiday'
    day. Maybe it simply does not run the job, but I am reluctant to try for
    obvious reasons, no one will be there to see any error message.

    "ExecView" appears as an option, but there is no word whatever in the book
    as to what it is, whether it is worth having, or if it costs extra.

    In the various browse windows like scheduled jobs, policies etc it is possible
    to resize columns to see more, but these changes are lost when the console
    is closed.

    I will probably find more I dont like, but this will do for now.

  2. Re: Poor quanlity of software

    I have been using BE since 8.5 and have not had any Huge problems with it.
    As for the java admin console, that has always been buggy. It was worse with 8 but It has improved since.
    I usually only use the Java console to view. Any changes to BU Jobs I try to do at the server console.
    No doubt BE has its issues but what BU software doesn't?
    I believe it is still one of the better solutions for Netware.
    My .02

> [...]

    1Gb and is useless.

    You cannot find how to specify fields in schedule view, (not scehduled jobs
    view). When you do, as right-click on the diary, it is nonsense.

    Holidays can be set and an option to re-schedule on holidays. Appears not
    to work at all, as jobs are still automatically scehduled to run on a 'holiday'
    day. Maybe it simply does not run the job, but I am reluctant to try for
    obvious reasons, no one will be there to see any error message.

    "ExecView" appears as an option, but there is no word whatever in the book
    as to what it is, whether it is worth having, or if it costs extra.

    In the various browse windows like scheduled jobs, policies etc it is possible
    to resize columns to see more, but these changes are lost when the console
    is closed.

    I will probably find more I dont like, but this will do for now.

  3. Re: Poor quanlity of software

    Hi David,

    I'm inclined to agree with you on this point. I have had very similar
    problems with the Java console, although I haven't come across every one.

    I have two issues that I find very restrictive :

    Firstly the fact that the catalogs hold info on every file ever backed up,
    rather that just the files that still exist on tapes etc. I have on
    numerous occasions been looking for a copy of "mydoc.doc" in the catalogs
    and come across 100 different versions, of which only a handful still exist.
    It would be so much more helpful if I could search for a file and produce a
    list all the files that are possible to restore, so that I can give the
    users a list of possible files from dates x,y and z.

    Secondly I cant seem to sort the list of media, in the catalog, by date and
    time! I find this simply amazing! Am I missing something here? Surely
    Veritas would have spotted this before releasing the software, or am I
    running an unfinished/beta version?? This can 'really' make my life
    difficult at times!

    As for Paul's point. I agree with you mainly, it does work pretty well on a
    day-to-day basis and on the whole I can leave it running without having to
    touch it. I accept that bugs are a fact of life but I think they have
    possibly pushed it a little far with the the java colsole. It makes some
    things very very difficult to do, almost to the point of not performing the
    function that it pretends to do.

    Anyway that's my .02 aswell!

    Cheers

    Matt

    "Paul " wrote in message news:423f1259@ROSASTDMZ05....
> [...]

    > jobs
    > view). When you do, as right-click on the diary, it is nonsense.
    >
    > Holidays can be set and an option to re-schedule on holidays. Appears not
    > to work at all, as jobs are still automatically scehduled to run on a
    > 'holiday'
    > day. Maybe it simply does not run the job, but I am reluctant to try for
    > obvious reasons, no one will be there to see any error message.
    >
    > "ExecView" appears as an option, but there is no word whatever in the book
    > as to what it is, whether it is worth having, or if it costs extra.
    >
    > In the various browse windows like scheduled jobs, policies etc it is
    > possible
    > to resize columns to see more, but these changes are lost when the console
    > is closed.
    >
    > I will probably find more I dont like, but this will do for now.

  4. Re: Poor quanlity of software

    I guess I have just come to live with the restrictions of the Java console which in itself is a bad reflection on Veritas.
    David is right in saying it is poor quality software but i guess its kind of
    like going with the Devil you know, not the one you don't.

    >>> news.support.veritas.com 3/22/2005 6:55:21 AM >>>

+ Reply to Thread